Who would be your hand/commander of the king's guard?

jsjoslin18

Better question is how has he been a good rule? Lets weigh the pros and cons.

1. He did not knowingly kill Renly.

2. He marched on the Wall and saved the Realm from the Wildlings, then let them into the kingdom as subjects. This is probably his current crowning achievement and I find it strange that you completely disregard it. He crushed Mance Rayder's army. I don't think you understand the extent of his victory there. Yes, it was a huge victory - the Wildling host was enormous, and disorganized or no, you don't get to take that victory from him.

3. He listened to Davos and did not exact revenge on Claw Island after Celtigar's betrayal.

4. Is he completely dependent on Mel? That's strange. I'm sure Mel would say "No, we won't burn an innocent alive" when her captains beg her to sacrifice Asha. She and Stannis are pretty much the same, and she totally controls him. Right.

5. He won the Battle of Fair Isle and beat Victarion and the Greyjoys. That was the real battle that won the Greyjoy rebellion - taking Pyke would've been impossible otherwise, because the Greyjoy strength at sea is incredible - and Stannis beat them.

6. He took back Deepwood Motte and then gave it back to the Glovers. Jon's advice, sure, but Stannis listened.

7. He lost the Blackwater because Tywin and his huge army showed up out of nowhere. That was hardly something that could've been countered.

8. Finally, no, the burden of proof is really on you when you say something like "Stannis is a bad ruler". Stannis was Master of Ships for a decade and helped Jon Arryn rule the realm for that same period. The books say as much.

How about some girl power?

Hand: Queen of Thornes. This is pretty self-explanatory, she is influential, incredibly clever and intellegent, she has a way of knowing and finding out secrets, she has a great understanding of "how the game is played", people have respect for her and some even fear her. Plus with her, comes the wealth and power of Highgarden.

Second choice: Arianne Martell, yes she made some poorly misjudged decisions, but I think under the right mentoring, she can make a great hand. She really has changed since her confrontation with her father and she is showing promise the way she defended her father against the sand snakes in ADwD. She is also politically savvy and is willing to play the game to ensure my rule. Plus, Dorne are good allies to have and the Martells will have your back.

Commander of the guards: A grown-up Arya would be fierce and she would get the job done annihilating anyone who would threaten me, but she is sort of a loose cannon. I don't see her giving up her future to take orders for the rest of her life. So, I think, Brienne is best suited for the job where the ladies are concerned. She is loyal, honest, brave, true to her word, and a fierce fighter(she gave Jaime a run for his money!). In other words, Brienne is a true knight.

Commander: Chuck Norris

Hand of the king: Chuck Norris's beard. :cool4:

Chuck Norris does not take the status of Commander! The status of Commander takes Chuck Norris! :ninja:

My hand would be nothing more than a front man/good pr man, like a spokesperson that the people would like. Make Tyrion the hand, that little demon monkey is too smart to not be making important decisions or atleast advising on some. Too bad the people of Westeros are prejudice against dwarfs and do not trust him.

Hand: Davos or Ned.

Unambitious, loyal, dutiful and also successful hands. While a hand like Tywin (or even Littlefinger) would undoubtedly get you more they're completely untrustworthy.

LC: Barristan

Jaime would be tempting if you could get him as he is from his POV chapters and preferably with his sword hand, but if you had to take them as they were then it'd be Barristan. Also we know that both Barristan and Jaime have limits to their loyalty. Jaime chose his father and the population of KL over his king, Barristan forsook Viserys as he feared he was another version of his father. While I'd like to think I'd be a better King than either of those two it'd be tempting to pick Ser Arthur Dayne as he stood loyal to Rhaegar's commands past his death. Then again I have a feeling Barristan (and Jaime probably) were more likely to remain loyal to the Targs if Rhaegar were still around.

Ok, I'll go with Stan the Man as my Hand. He's got an iron will, he's smart, and I would trust him as my proxy in a battle. Davos, who is one of my favorite characters, comes in second because he's too good of a man for what I need. He's a good foil to Stannis. He's really not into scheming and such. I would definitely want him at my court though, his insights are golden.

LC KG I would go with Selmy, with Ser Loras under his wing. I'd say Jaime with his new mentality and both hands, but that's impossible

Willas is a nobody, he sits at High Garden doing nothing during a war. Just because he is heir to House Tyrell and High Garden doesn't make him anything. What on earth makes him a good Hand he hasn't??

Does this sound familiar: "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" , so why not? : There must always be a Tyrell in Highgarden?? It would be incredibly stupid for all of them be part of the war!! As simple as that, the lord of the Reach, Mace Tyrell leads the army, and he has 2 sons to help him, they can afford keeping the eldest at home. How can you say he is nothing, when he is the heir to the most powerful man in Westeros?? That's just crazy!!!

Anyway, I would chose Mance Rayder as my hand, and Tormund as my King's Guard Commander!! Politics and the rest of the lords be damned, the King does as he pleases!! Of course, I would bring Shagga aswell.

Willas Tyrell is a nobody,

Comparing Willas Tyrell sitting at High Garden like a lil bitch, to there must always be a Stark in Winterfell is just Dumb.

House Stark has been around for thousands of years,

House Tyrell is a upstart, Steward's to High Garden

Ányone who thinks Willas Tyrell should be Hand needs to reread every book and show us all where he did ANYTHING to show he would be a good Hand

My small council:

Hand of the King: Brynden Tully, the Blackfish

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Jorah Mormont, the Bear Knight

Master of Laws: Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper

Master of Coin: Wyman Manderly, the Lord Lamprey

Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight

Grand Maester: Luwin

I would abolish the position of Master of Whispers, it has only created conspiracy, treason, and hardly any benefit to the sitting ruler...

1. He did not knowingly kill Renly.

2. He marched on the Wall and saved the Realm from the Wildlings, then let them into the kingdom as subjects. This is probably his current crowning achievement and I find it strange that you completely disregard it. He crushed Mance Rayder's army. I don't think you understand the extent of his victory there. Yes, it was a huge victory - the Wildling host was enormous, and disorganized or no, you don't get to take that victory from him.

3. He listened to Davos and did not exact revenge on Claw Island after Celtigar's betrayal.

4. Is he completely dependent on Mel? That's strange. I'm sure Mel would say "No, we won't burn an innocent alive" when her captains beg her to sacrifice Asha. She and Stannis are pretty much the same, and she totally controls him. Right.

5. He won the Battle of Fair Isle and beat Victarion and the Greyjoys. That was the real battle that won the Greyjoy rebellion - taking Pyke would've been impossible otherwise, because the Greyjoy strength at sea is incredible - and Stannis beat them.

6. He took back Deepwood Motte and then gave it back to the Glovers. Jon's advice, sure, but Stannis listened.

7. He lost the Blackwater because Tywin and his huge army showed up out of nowhere. That was hardly something that could've been countered.

8. Finally, no, the burden of proof is really on you when you say something like "Stannis is a bad ruler". Stannis was Master of Ships for a decade and helped Jon Arryn rule the realm for that same period. The books say as much.

1. Complete BS, of course he knowingly killed Renly. He knew he had no chance in battle and that was his last chance.

2. He marched on the wall because that was his only choice. His quest for the throne had been killed in one battle in which Tyrion and Tywin CRUSHED him completely and utterly. Beat him so bad that the majority of his surviving men bent the knee to a King they knew wasn't truely Roberts son. I overlooked it because it wasn't a great accomplishment. He got beaten and knew that they would soon sail for Dragonstone of finish him off so he had to leave. His only choice to try and take another shot at the thone was to go to the wall and try to win over the Northman, which he failed to do even though the Northmen hate the Boltons. He caught a bunch of disorganized and unarmored savages off guard and beat them, big whoop. He ran to the wall with his tail between his legs, hoping to win over another army since his was so completely defeated.

3. How was that significant on his overall stance?

4. Yes he is. The only reason he is alive or not in a dungeon at Storms End is because of her. I don't get what kind of point you are trying to make here. He has relied on her for information the entire time and even heeded to her religion.

5. Yes this was his greatest achievement in life. How exactly does that make him a good Hand? Maybe they should make Victorian Hand or the iron islands.

6. He had no choice but give us the castle, the Northmen that he did have would have eventuallly abandoned him.

7. He was losing the Blackwater before Tywin even showed up. Tyrion was kicking his ass.

8. Once again how does this prove anything.

Rolls eyes

• 8 months later...

Archived