The name of the "Great Other" . .. (SPOILER)

ServantOnIce

Okay, this may have been kicked around a while, is the name of the "Great Other" i.e. the rival to R'hllor is his name "Hodor?" I read in Storm of Swords how "Hodor's" real name is "Walder" and he's a Great, Great Grandson of Old Nan or something like that . . and "Hodor" is just the only word he says.

So now that he is up in the Forest north of the wall . . is Hodor the Great Other i.e. the Great White Walker???

Er ... what? I am most likely misunderstanding that or I am missing a joke. Are you trying to say that Hodor is the chief Other?

Actually, I do not believe there is such thing as "the Great Other", it is not like they have some hierarcical social structure or something. I believe there are just ... Others.

'The Great Other' is winter. It is known :smug:

Rolling with the theory though, it's quite odd that Hodor does nothing but carry Bran around. I guess they could have gotten a donkey for that. Hodor must have another purpose, I guess..

No,

1. Hodor is not the Great Other or as Melisandre says, "The one who's name we must never speak."

2. Is "Hodor" the name of the Great Other?? I think it could be . . Walder could be sort of like "Patchface" a person who is brain damaged but speaks some supernatural prophesy.

Just thinking . .

Here is a crazy idea: whatever Hodor means, it has something to do with the Great Other. But the guy is innocent. Instead, when he was little, he had the potential to be a greenseer like Bran. The three-eye crow came to him just like Bran and showed him the Heart of Winter. Only poor young Walder couldn't take it and it fried his brain, so now he is just a simpleton, always saying the same word which relates to the Heart of Winter.

Patchface is the Great Other.

It is known. :smoking:

On a more serious note, I do wonder why he keeps saying Hodor, when his name is Walder. Can't be much more difficult to say Walder instead of Hodor?

I also believe ther is no "Great Other", just as there is no R'hllor. That's just what the red religion made of their use of the world's magic and their worshipping of fire.

Wait- what exactly is being asked here? If it's possible that the "official" name of "The Great Other" is actually "Hodor?" And that the character Hodor (Walder) says "Hodor" as a kind of idiot-savant premonition? As a side note, I love the way "hodor" is a verb in Bran's thoughts: "Hodor, no hodoring right now"(or something like that).

I'm going to wager that the Great Other = Death (aka, the Stranger, aka The Many Faced God)

Simple, yet very smart! :D

Winter is simple, as is Hodor. See, everything links :lol:

But yeah, I don't think there are any gods, to be completely honest. The old gods have been proved to not be gods at all, or not as we define a god, the Seven do nothing, R'hllor's magic is shown to be tricks for the most part by Melisandre.. so yeah, there is no 'Great Other', unless it is a force, such as winter or death.

'The Great Other' is winter. It is known :smug:

YES! Although when I read aGOT I also deluded myself that there were no "Others" nor "dragons" and they were only the products of the small folks fears, like mermaids and sea monsters...

To the OP: I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm gonna set up camp here and see where this thread goes. I sense some hilarious conspiracy theories coming.

I'm starting to wonder if Martin's going to pull a Tad Williams on us and a greenseer of the children of the Forest created the others to get revenge on mankind. He uses the Others the way Nuada wanted to use the Golden Army to destroy man.

I don't see how we could know his/her name. I just think of the "great other" as Nuada Storm King till Martin tells us the name.

Archived