Aegon VI - Does he know?

JamesTruwood

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I wonder about when contemplating Aegon's fakeness is Jaime's one chapter in ADWD... that was a lot of time spent on the Blackwoods/Brackens and the history of the conflict between them for no obvious reason. I mean, it's not Riverrun and the Tullys, which were integral to the previous books - do we really need to see this whole POV from a character not otherwise included in ADWD, just to see Tytos Blackwood surrender Raventree Hall? The very brief scene with Brienne, although obviously important, could have been tacked on to anything.

But if you think about it as necessary set-up for the increasing importance of the Blackfyre/Bittersteel/Blackraven stuff which provides the context for the revelation that Aegon is fake, then it makes sense to spend so much time on it, and to give the history of the rivalry between Barbara Bracken and Mylessa Blackwood (Bittersteel and Bloodraven's mothers). The same thing applies to some extent to Bloodraven. Why make him such an important character in Bran's storyline in ADWD? Even Barristan getting a POV, while logistically necessary, also ties back to the Blackfyres - he is the person who defeated Maelys the monstrous and ended the male part of the Blackfyre line. All this stuff has to mean something, there is too much of it for it not to be going somewhere. And Aegon being a Blackfyre seems like the only option for where it can be going.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know. He has too much of that naive, arrogant, overconfidence for him to know. He really believes he's the real deal. I do think he'll find out before the end of the series, or at least have some suspicion of it. Maybe he'll get smart and kill off Varys and Illyrio to make sure he's the only one who knows.

On a slightly different note, does anyone have any ideas as to why Varys would agree to this plan to seat Aegon B on the throne? I know Illyrio gets something out of it (his descendants on the Iron Throne), but Varys doesn't seem to get anything of value. And I'm not sure I entirely believe his story of working "for the realm"...

one would also suspect that he would know the origins of the golden company at this point,studying so much history...if he knows that,he must at least suspect...that coupled with him wearing the colors...he knows.it really wouldn't serve to keep him in the dark,risking that his finding out would undo all their plans.

i thought awhile on it and the only reason he would wear the blackfyre colors would be to align with the golden company,which would indicate he knows their history...if he knows their history,he must know...

blackfyre colors are the targaryen colors reversed.he wore black with red piping...rather than red with black.pretty sure that signifies that he knows.

No, that kind of color scheme would fit the Targaryens better. Their sigil was a red dragon on a black field. In other words, the black sets the scene, while the red figures more prominently due to being set against the black.. Aegon's clothing does the same thing, as did Rhaegar's black armor.

I believe he is true Targaryen, son of Rhaegar. I don`t see why a lot of you are thinking he is fake. I know about Quaithe`s prophecy about mummer`s dragon and I think it was Quentyn, and that sun`s son is Aegon(his mother, as we know it, is Elia Martell).

lol it doesn't fit the targs better it's indicated in the dunk and egg books that those are the blackfyre colors...black primarily with red....look at the pics of bloodraven and bittersteel to see what i mean.

Yet none of the two is a Blackfyre look at the picture of Daemon Blackfyre himself.

On topic I believe that he is Rhaegar's son so there is nothing to know but if he was a fake he wouldn't have known.

lol it doesn't fit the targs better it's indicated in the dunk and egg books that those are the blackfyre colors...black primarily with red....look at the pics of bloodraven and bittersteel to see what i mean.

Bloodraven and Bittersteel were not Blackfyres, and the former even fought on the side of the Targaryens, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to help your point. Also, I just read the description of Aegon's colors more closely, and it doesn't seem that either color truly dominates. He wears black boots, a black cloak lined with red (i.e. the cloak is black on the outside and red on the inside), and three square-cut rubies on a chain of black iron. Red and black seem to figure about equally as prominently in this color scheme.

• 9 months later...

Why does Connington belive that he is real? Connington at least is convinced that he is but we do not know why. Many seem convinced that perhaps Jon is being self delusional but at this point I'm not wholly covinced of this. For some undetermined reason Jon seems convinced that Aegon is the real deal.

If he is fake, I don't think he knows, because as everyone seems to agree, they would have been nuts to tell him.

What has been puzzling me, though, is the position this puts Varys and Illyrio in if Aegon did become King.

He thinks he deserves his throne, has an absolute right to it, and they are subjects who have done nothing more than what they should have. Will he think he owes Illyrio bigtime and let him milk Westeros for all the profit he can? I realise if this Blackfyre idea is true then Varys may be in it just for the quiet satisfaction of knowing who Aegon really is, but if Varys & Illyrio have more selfish motives, they might risk telling him at some point, to get a blackmailing hold on him, except that he could probably have them executed the instant they tried it....

I really think Varys's role and motives are being made up as the books go along, and may have to be kept mysterious rather than revealing plot holes....

Aegon very likely thinks he is Aegon VI and a Targaryen. He is probably a fake/not a Targaryen and so likely does not know his true ancestry.

I was wondering: If Aegon is actually Illyrio's son (one of the Blackfyre theories) then is it possible that Illyrio and Varys hatched their plan after he was born and given a name? If so, then his original name would not be Aegon.

There is no way Aegon could be Illyrio's son. Why would he go through all the trouble of bringing Viserys and Dany to his house and help them raise a Dothraki army? He would have them killed, then have his son try to claim the throne as a Targ.

Archived