Great Book, Lousy Movie and Vice Versa

Baitac

Fight Club .... i have no explanation for this :ohwell: ....you may judge and flame for this, its fully allowed

Why would one flame you for this? I mean I thought the film was much much better but the book is hardly awful, and really I'm not quite sure why I liked the film so much more.

If comics are allowed (and since we're discussing Watchmen they evidently are) I'm gonna say Kick-Ass. I absolutely love the film, it's close to my top 10 and occasionally in it, whereas I thought the book was terrible.

I also liked Layer Cake rather more on-screen; I am, evidently, a fan of Matthew Vaughn.

Also, I'm not sure if it counts since it's obviously not fiction, but Band of Brothers the book is fine, an interesting enough piece of work, but not spectacular, whereas the TV show is one of the best war stories ever put to screen.

Why would one flame you for this? I mean I thought the film was much much better but the book is hardly awful, and really I'm not quite sure why I liked the film so much more.

heh, it has happened before. The camps are very divided on my top 3 movies and words like 'pandering' and 'bullshit tryin to be something deeper' start gettin thrown around (Fight Club, Eternal Sunshine, Dark City)

Another movie thats far worse than a rather enjoyable comic book The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

LotR movies are hard to classify - great movies ('cept for half of the 3rd one), and while the story of the books is marvelous. .. Tolkien is a damn bad writer & slogging thru the books themselves is a bit of a chore

:bs:

Tis not :bs: !! :) The movie's redux screenplay was much better than the blah, blah, blah, mother is crazy stuff. The visuals of that prom scene were a million times better than the book's description. Plus Sissy Spacek rocked it.

I read Dune back in the 80's and at the time I liked the movie but I think the mini series probably did a better job but still not as good as the books.

I have to add the 1st Conan movie to this list because it was no where near as good as any of the books :)

Maybe the giant worms might have been rendered better with today's technology, but I found those scenes funny. Being that Star Wars had already come out and had accomplished such tremendous visuals, I grant Dune a very small excuse.

I think that Ben Hur was better than the book. One of the best movies EVER!!

Maybe the giant worms might have been rendered better with today's technology, but I found those scenes funny. Being that Star Wars had already come out and had accomplished such tremendous visuals, I grant Dune a very small excuse.

I think that Ben Hur was better than the book. One of the best movies EVER!!

I think The Ben Hur book is a good read.

Also, how could I forget Troy in this category? Jesus Helen's lines were straight out of a Dramedy

I think The Ben Hur book is a good read.

Also, how could I forget Troy in this category? Jesus Helen's lines were straight out of a Dramedy

Ben Hur the book was good. It's just that the movie very much outshines it.

I'd say the Bourne movies were better than the two Bourne books I read, Bourne Supremacy in particular is far better than the book it gets it name from (it has so little in common with the book I can't describe it as an adaptation).

I liked Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but I think Blade Runner is one of the best Science Fiction films ever made, so I'd say the film was better than the book there.

I actually like The Golden Compass movie more than the book *ducks rocks*

I thought they did a great job of visualising the daemons and Ian McKellan voicing an armoured polar bear was quite fun, but other than that I thought it was a disaster, particularly completely changing the ending of the book.

It's hard to compare Electric Sheep to Blade Runner since the movie is only loosely based on the book... it's more inspired by the book than actually based on it. Same thing with I Am Legend, the only thing the movie shares with the book is the title and the main character's name. For fucks sake, the meaning of the title isn't even expressed in the movie besides some halfhearted reference to a Bob Marley album.

Also wanna mention the Disney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Anyone who has ever read the book would agree that Disney had no business making a children's movie out of it.

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. Although I also have no idea who decided to turn that book into a kid's movie, I absolutely loved it, mainly for the villain Claude Frollo and the music. But seriously, what Disney did with Frollo was amazing. Most insane and frightening Disney villain ever. I still get chills when I hear him sing "Hellfire". I can't believe that ever made into a Disney movie, just the pure lust, religious extremism, and genocide is so un-Disney. I enjoyed the book as well, for very different reasons, minus the long digressions on French history and architecture and such.

Also, I thought that of the LOTR films, the first did by far the best job with the source material, effectively eliminating all the unnecessary, boring scenes from the first half of the book. Moria was also really well done.

I would add my votes for "Jaws" and "Carrie" being better than the book versions.

Also, I agree with whoever mentioned "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Probably one of the best movie and book pairings of all time.

Well I had a long post but the internet ate it.

Golden Compass didn't so much change the ending as cut out the last 30 pages or so, was the general gist. You can find the actual ending on the disc I think.

The Joy Luck Club belongs in the good movie/bad book category, and I'll second The Godfather for that same category.

I liked the Joy Luck Club book way better than the movie. It goes to show ya!

Archived