Eddard Stark's Name

Tyrion the lmp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Even though I can only speak one language, I love linguistics. English is a odd language as it is Norman French overlaid on a Saxon German base. Here is what I know about this...

I have always heard that Dick comes from the Normans French speakers, who did not really have a proper rolling R sound, so Richard - > Rick -> Dick

Also why Robert -> Rob -> Bob

As for Edward to Ned

The answer is a "mistake." Just as in German my is mein, in Old English my was mı̄n. You would say, in modern parlance, mine book, mine cat. And, you would often say, in affection, mine Ed,mine Ellie. As mı̄n changed to my, people started hearing the old n as the first sound in the names: mine Ed became my Ned. The result was new versions of these names starting with n, used as nicknames — i.e., names you use in affection, as people used to in saying mine Ed.

Or basically

Mine Ed -> My Ned -> Ned

• 4 months later...

What is weird is that I didn't even notice the 2 names untill a few episodes later. I always knew when they said Ned that it was Eddard, but I didn't think about it untill my friend mentioned it. I was like "OMG YES YOU'RE RIGHT". I don't understand how something like that can happen o.o

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived