The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

The book's out imminently in the USA, and for those who really want to see the maps I daresay miscreants will have scans up within days. There's really no point to putting an embargo on it (like there was with ADWD, which had a worldwide simultaneous release date).

Who knows what we did to piss the storm god off, but he is really raging right now.

You know your a geek when the first thing on your mind during a hurricane is "does this mean that I won't get my new asoiaf map book on time?!" Who cares that I don't have electricity and probably won't for a while. I guess I need to get my priorities straight.

Back on topic though... I am already planning to buy a second copy of this book so I can have one version in book form and break the other apart to frame and decorate my walls.

Who knows what we did to piss the storm god off, but he is really raging right now.

You know your a geek when the first thing on your mind during a hurricane is "does this mean that I won't get my new asoiaf map book on time?!" Who cares that I don't have electricity and probably won't for a while. I guess I need to get my priorities straight.

Back on topic though... I am already planning to buy a second copy of this book so I can have one version in book form and break the other apart to frame and decorate my walls.

Stay safe, I'm from New Orleans so I know how dealing with hurricanes can be. Good idea about two copies of the maps btw, I may do the same.

For reference, I got an email for Amazon that mine shipped this morning, so with a lot lof luck, I could have it before Friday (it has to travel a little to reach Argentina...)

Another Argentinian!

Don't books get retained at Ezeiza or Retiro customs? I wanted to order it but all the importation restrictions kinda scare me...

This is interesting, as the 'Kingdom of...' seems to lie in what should be the northern Dothraki Sea.

That's not the Forest of Qohor. This is way, way to the east, north of Vaes Dothrak (more or less).

That's the location of Vaes Dothrak on the HBO map. On the Lands of Ice and Fire map, I believe Vaes Dothrak has moved some distance southwards.

That's from a different preview, which seems to be of a totally different part of Essos (way off in the far east, I'd guess).

The HBO map is only official for the HBO show. GRRM completely changed his vision of the east of Essos after providing the very early draft of the map. Now it appears that Essos looks more like this (a very rough outline based on some earlier images of the maps), with the Jade Sea running south of Essos (rather than being an indentation in its east). Asshai is right down in the bottom-right corner.

NOTE: Ran did say some time ago that the map would 'hint at' a hitherto-unknown 'continent'. The landmass south of the Saffron Straits may well be it (Sothessoryos?).

What's the lowdown on someone creating their own outline map using the LoIaF as a baseline but not the actual maps themselves (i.e. similar to what's been done on the Wiki with the fan-created maps of Westeros and Essos already)?

I hope not, that means the HBO poster/ map I purchased is inaccurate...

I am most looking forward to more detailed maps of Westeros: like where is Sallydance and the lands of house Butterfield.

Do you think this map will be drawn to scale and will therefore aide people trying to figure out distances and therefore travel times?

as for arrival time:

It's about 10:55 in Seattle which is where Amazon's headquarters are located. It says that it will be 'shipping soon' and has already withdrawn the payment.

Still it will take forever to reach Australia.

I don't have it with me at the moment.

A couple things I remember off the top of my head.

• South of Asshai is another continent called "Ulthos." It looks like a bleak wasteland. I assume those are the Shadow Lands.
  • Valyria is literally a smoking ruin. I think I remember seeing a huge volcano flowing with lava.
  • The map doesn't feature the entirety Essos. It cuts off around the area where the Five Forts are located. So there's still more to Essos that we may never see.

I don't have it with me at the moment.

A couple things I remember off the top of my head.

• South of Asshai is another continent called "Ulthos." It looks like a bleak wasteland. I assume those are the Shadow Lands.
  • Valyria is literally a smoking ruin. I think I remember seeing a huge volcano flowing with lava.
  • The map doesn't feature the entirety Essos. It cuts off around the area where the Five Forts are located. So there's still more to Essos that we may never see.

A new continent? :stunned:

And about the world map, how accurate is this map that is based on a picture leaked a few months ago?

http://i36.photobuck...apSpecNamed.png

I hope not, that means the HBO poster/ map I purchased is inaccurate...

It's accurate, only just for the TV show, not the books (or both).

I am most looking forward to more detailed maps of Westeros: like where is Sallydance and the lands of house Butterfield.

Based on what Ran said, the maps of Westeros will not have more info than there is on the most complete maps available now. The new information mostly comes from Essos.

Do you think this map will be drawn to scale and will therefore aide people trying to figure out distances and therefore travel times?

The early previews had a map scale on them, I believe.

South of Asshai is another continent called "Ulthos." It looks like a bleak wasteland. I assume those are the Shadow Lands.

The Shadow Lands seem to be north-east of Asshai (where it says 'Shadow Lands' :) ). Ulthos being an uninhabited wasteland does make sense, since between that and the Shadow Lands, that makes the far far east of Martinworld seem highly unpleasant and a pointless direction in which to explore.

Also, does it confirm that Ulthos is a new continent or could it be the far eastern end of Sothoroys, with the Jade Sea being a big dent in its north coast that goes off the bottom of the page? Based on Ran's comments from a few months ago, I assume the former.

Based on what Ran said, the maps of Westeros will not have more info than there is on the most complete maps available now. The new information mostly comes from Essos.

The preview image of the crossroads area, while not containing actual new places, did clear up a lot of that area....there was a lot crammed in there like Lord Harroway's Town, Saltpans, the Inn, the rivers, the Kingsroad. I'm looking forward to Westeros as much as Essos. Alright maybe not quite as much........but still looking forward to it.

Archived