The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

Will we have a map of the castles (Winterfell, Casterly Rock, King's Landing and the Red Keep)?

No. There'll be maps of King's Landing and Braavos in the map book but nothing castle or city-related beyond that.

John Howe's excellent map of King's Landing is here. And Green Ronin's RPG map is here. And for something a bit different, the city in Minecraft.

I was a little disappointed with the map of the North, as it didn't add new information: it's just the maps from the books with a nicer design.

But the Braavos map is cool, and with the anticipation of the new Essos map my enthusiasm is coming back!

I thought he was going to add new stuff? I remember hearing something about how empty all the lands were when blown up so he went back and created a bunch of new sites for them. I guess that was only for Essos though.

I was a little disappointed with the map of the North, as it didn't add new information: it's just the maps from the books with a nicer design.

I thought he was going to add new stuff? I remember hearing something about how empty all the lands were when blown up so he went back and created a bunch of new sites for them. I guess that was only for Essos though.

I guess you are right about this. A big shame it is however as I would've loved to see new stuff added. Most likely this book has dropped several places on my priority list.

I think the North will be more developped this time. Isn't that the point of the book, to be a world map of the known world?

There's really nothing new in the Westeros maps. Martin's point about the world was that mainly it was Essos which was a vast nothing. There was basically a sheet of paper with a mark for Vaes Dothrak, and in big text "Dothraki Sea", and that was it. So he ended up working in more stuff for Essos than he had originally created. Hence the Five Forts, the Lands of the Shrykes, the Bleeding Sea, and so on.

The map from the limited edition is by Graig Kreindler, not Howe.

Damn, I forgot about that.

Howe would have been a great alternate choice for this project, actually. His colour map of Middle-earth is probably the best one around (though his Hobbit map did feel a bit phoned-in).

Will any of that be relevant to the story or is it just to flesh out Essos and make it more real?

I suspect it will be more like this. If it was going to be relevant to the story, presumably it would have been created/mentioned already.

i hope to god we do not see or hear more about these new locations.

coz that would just mean more chapters about dany stalling and not going to westeros lol

Strangely enough I think that you are right in this. What I personally would love to see is an Essos focused series kind of like the Dunk and Egg tales which can go and see all these new cool places in the east, without dragging out Asoiaf series further into the east.

Archived