Why did Drogo want to marry Dany?

Maroucia

I think so too and I'm glad you brought it up. I was going to suggest something similar, but then I got too lazy and didn't want to insert these types of things into what had become a "Dany is hot" thread.

Yeah. Like, I get the trophy wife aspect but it seems kind of simplistic to me, especially given that we're led to believe that the Dothraki tend to eschew that sort of thing. The Stallion is supposed to be a BFD, yes? Basically the Dothraki messiah. And it's just a coincidence that their kid is this Stallion? Drogo for his part doesn't seem skeptical — or surprised — to learn that Rhaego is this supposed "khal of khals." The only explanation I can see for his reaction — or lack thereof — is that the dosh khaleen were again confirming what he had already been told would happen if he married Dany.

I think so too and I'm glad you brought it up. I was going to suggest something similar, but then I got too lazy and didn't want to insert these types of things into what had become a "Dany is hot" thread.

yeah the only whole i can see with this speculation is that iirc, Ilyrio aproached drogo with the idea for maridge, not the other way round so in this reguard it doesn't seem logical...

yeah the only whole i can see with this speculation is that iirc, Ilyrio aproached drogo with the idea for maridge, not the other way round so in this reguard it doesn't seem logical...

Illyrio: Drogo, do you want to marry Daenerys Targaryen?

Drogo: Maybe, let me see what the dosh khaleen have to say.

Dosh khaleen: If you marry this princess, your son will be the Stallion That Mounts the World.

Drogo: OK, Illyrio, I'll marry her.

Boom.

Drogo has to haul Dany all the way to Vaes Dothrak after they married to present her to the dosh khaleen and go through that whole ceremonial stuff. I don't see why they wouldn't be otherwise consulted when it comes to marriage contracts and whatnot.

Illyrio: Drogo, do you want to marry Daenerys Targaryen?

Drogo: Maybe, let me see what the dosh khaleen have to say.

Dosh khaleen: If you marry this princess, your son will be the Stallion That Mounts the World.

Drogo: OK, Illyrio, I'll marry her.

Boom.

Drogo has to haul Dany all the way to Vaes Dothrak after they married to present her to the dosh khaleen and go through that whole ceremonial stuff. I don't see why they wouldn't be otherwise consulted when it comes to marriage contracts and whatnot.

hmmm, well i like the idea and it isn't imposible however I feel you are straying into the realms of fan fiction, ever heard of ocams razor? you assume too much and assumption id the mother of all F ups. this is more speculation than actual theory bassedon solid evidance from the books.

just sayin

I'm not really sure if we know how the marriage offer came about. Whether Drogo requested it or Illyrio brought it to him in some way. Apple's idea above makes a bit of sense, in that if Illyrio approached first, then Drogo went to Dosh Khaleen to ask about it...or something. Illyrio had the kiddos in his manse for half a year. Could have been he was waiting for an answer or whatever. Illyrio received a lot of wealth for this marriage. Sort of odd when you think about it. The Free City folks are supposed to be gifting the Dothraki so they don't attack their city, the Dothraki return gift is to...not attack their city. Why would they need to be giving all these extra gifts?

hmmm, well i like the idea and it isn't imposible however I feel you are straying into the realms of fan fiction, ever heard of ocams razor? you assume too much and assumption id the mother of all F ups. this is more speculation than actual theory bassedon solid evidance from the books.

just sayin

I apologize for trying to find a thematic explanation for Drogo agreeing to marry Dany beyond the idea of "omgz she's hawt." You're free to fall back on OcCam's razor (ever heard of it?) if you'd like. I prefer a more cerebral exercise.

Forgetting to use spellcheck is also the mother of all F ups. Just sayin'.

I apologize for trying to find a thematic explanation for Drogo agreeing to marry Dany beyond the idea of "omgz she's hawt." You're free to fall back on OcCam's razor (ever heard of it?) if you'd like. I prefer a more cerebral exercise.

Forgetting to use spellcheck is also the mother of all F ups. Just sayin'.

I always suspected you were a grama Nazi... :fencing: seriously tho please don't try and undermine me for my dyslexi. I was never trying to critisise you for you explanation. I only mentioned that it lacked evidense.. based on the facts we are given we can only infer that ilyrio proposed the maridge and drogo accepted. on another point, why would the dosh Khallen bother telling drogo the same prophecy twice??

I'm not really sure if we know how the marriage offer came about. Whether Drogo requested it or Illyrio brought it to him in some way. Apple's idea above makes a bit of sense, in that if Illyrio approached first, then Drogo went to Dosh Khaleen to ask about it...or something. Illyrio had the kiddos in his manse for half a year. Could have been he was waiting for an answer or whatever. Illyrio received a lot of wealth for this marriage. Sort of odd when you think about it. The Free City folks are supposed to be gifting the Dothraki so they don't attack their city, the Dothraki return gift is to...not attack their city. Why would they need to be giving all these extra gifts?

we do know how it came about, ilyrio says so!!!!! also don't think of it as a gift, think of it as all part of the ilyrio/varys master plan.

I always suspected you were a grama Nazi... :fencing: seriously tho please don't try and undermine me for my dyslexi. I was never trying to critisise you for you explanation. I only mentioned that it lacked evidense.. based on the facts we are given we can only infer that ilyrio proposed the maridge and drogo accepted. on another point, why would the dosh Khallen bother telling drogo the same prophecy twice??

Some things you have to figure out for yourself. Not every explanation is going to fall magically out of the sky. These books are full of stuff that GRRM expects people to sort out for themselves. You have a question: Why would Drogo marry Dany? A lot of the simple solutions, like the fact that she's a hot trophy wife, are decent-ish but are still lacking. Then you remember that Rhaego was supposed to be this messiah figure. If you start working backwards, you realize that, hey, maybe Drogo went into this marriage because the omens had foretold that if he married Dany, they'd produce this Stallion. Remember, Drogo paid Illyrio A LOT for Dany. It's not just that they sorted out the marriage — the fact that the groom is paying for the bride is almost the complete opposite of most marriage contracts, where the bride's family pays the dowry, not the groom's. That right there should be a big clue that there's something about Dany specifically that Drogo wanted and was willing to pay for. Keeping that in mind, he shows no surprise or shock or skepticism or any really strong reaction to being told that his son is this messiah figure. Why would he be pretty unfazed at that? He'd be unfazed if he already knew it would happen.

And it's not "the same prophecy twice." The first time would be saying, "Marry her and you'll get this stallion," the second time is a confirmation: "Your son (THIS son, as opposed to any others he might have) is the Stallion."

So you did. Have a cookie.

Yay! Let's drink more wine to our discovery.

I think greedy old Drogo saw the pretty silver blond girls in the mosaic of the doom of Valyria in his house in Pentos and wondered where he can get one for himself. He wanted a girl from an endangered race, what no other man can have.

we do know how it came about, ilyrio says so!!!!! also don't think of it as a gift, think of it as all part of the ilyrio/varys master plan.

Oh yeah, and Illyrio was so honest to Viserys and Dany, what with his, "The smallfolk are praying for your return" and "all I want is to be Master of Coin, even though I'm the richest man in the world!" Words are wind!

If the Free Cities give gifts to the Dothraki in return for being gifted with them not sacking their city or interrupting their trade, then it really makes no sense that Drogo's khal would bring so many gifts specifically for Illyrio. Illyrio isn't in charge of the city. But, if Drogo had requested this marriage then it would make sent for him to offer Illyrio so much for the gift of Dany, who was later prophecized to be the mother of the Stallion Who Mounts the World.

So you did. Have a cookie.

All Im saying that could have been the reason, but Drogo is still a man, Dany comes from a known family who produced many great worriers, and the fact that shes hot helped them a great deal.

Some things you have to figure out for yourself. Not every explanation is going to fall magically out of the sky. These books are full of stuff that GRRM expects people to sort out for themselves. You have a question: Why would Drogo marry Dany? A lot of the simple solutions, like the fact that she's a hot trophy wife, are decent-ish but are still lacking. Then you remember that Rhaego was supposed to be this messiah figure. If you start working backwards, you realize that, hey, maybe Drogo went into this marriage because the omens had foretold that if he married Dany, they'd produce this Stallion. Remember, Drogo paid Illyrio A LOT for Dany. It's not just that they sorted out the marriage — the fact that the groom is paying for the bride is almost the complete opposite of most marriage contracts, where the bride's family pays the dowry, not the groom's. That right there should be a big clue that there's something about Dany specifically that Drogo wanted and was willing to pay for. Keeping that in mind, he shows no surprise or shock or skepticism or any really strong reaction to being told that his son is this messiah figure. Why would he be pretty unfazed at that? He'd be unfazed if he already knew it would happen.

And it's not "the same prophecy twice." The first time would be saying, "Marry her and you'll get this stallion," the second time is a confirmation: "Your son (THIS son, as opposed to any others he might have) is the Stallion."

firstly I think the general personality of drogo is emotionaly reserved in public, he has a good poker face, aslo it is seen from danys pov so it is hard to say what he realy thought.

we could argue this all night so I have come up with a simple answer that I feel and hope we can both agree on..... he was a massive peodophile :cheers:

Oh yeah, and Illyrio was so honest to Viserys and Dany, what with his, "The smallfolk are praying for your return" and "all I want is to be Master of Coin, even though I'm the richest man in the world!" Words are wind!

If the Free Cities give gifts to the Dothraki in return for being gifted with them not sacking their city or interrupting their trade, then it really makes no sense that Drogo's khal would bring so many gifts specifically for Illyrio. Illyrio isn't in charge of the city. But, if Drogo had requested this marriage then it would make sent for him to offer Illyrio so much for the gift of Dany, who was later prophecized to be the mother of the Stallion Who Mounts the World.

Yes, I agree.

And the fact that she's a Targaryen doesn't really mean dick to the Dothraki. The dragons are gone, the Targaryens don't have any power anymore, Valyria's gone, etc. Her being a Targaryen would really matter only insofar as it might have affected the omens. Example: "Marry a Targaryen princess and you'll product the Stallion." If someone said, "Wear a red hat on Monday and you'll win the lottery," and you wear a red hat on Monday, that doesn't mean that you attribute some otherworldly power to red hats in general; it means that you're lining up the required inputs (in this case, a Targ princess) to get the desired outputs (the Stallion).

I feel and hope we can both agree on..... he was a massive peodophile :cheers:

Dany was not prepubescent when they married; Drogo was not a pedophile, at least where she was concerned. There are a whole mess o' issues where their wedding night and relationship were concerned — i'm sure Winter's Knight would love to discuss them — but strictly speaking, he wasn't a pedophile.

Plot necessity; or Drogo's pedophile.

Dany was not rich, her look was like any lysenne girl, she was not interesting or captivating at all. Not even his language she could speak. They never saw each other three or four months before the marriage. It's strange.

Some people think its her beauty, but is Dany really the most beautiful woman in the world? I think its hard to believe.

As far as I know, women who bear children at 14 don't develop a very beautiful body in adulthood, at last, that's what my teachers always said back in school.

All Im saying that could have been the reason, but Drogo is still a man, Dany comes from a known family who produced many great worriers, and the fact that shes hot helped them a great deal.

Oh yes, the story is full of examples of people (specifically those in leadership positions) who married someone just because they were hot. Nothing at all to do with ulterior purposes. *sarcasm*

Essos is full of families with warriors. It's full of families with hot, silver-haired, purple-eyed girls. The Dothraki don't have any interest in Westeros, but it was Dany specifically that Drogo sought out. Because she was...hot? Not only that, he married her. If he wanted a hottie, he could have just made her a concubine. I guess that makes sense if you want to read the books with a Cosmo lens. Like Apple, I prefer a bit more thought with my reading material.

Archived