A Thread for Small Questions XVI

a free shadow

I need to ask a question and the previous thread is locked.

Are there any estimations how old Brienne and Gilly might be?

Only one unanswered question from the last seven pages of the previous thread:

What is the difference between the King of Winter and the King of the North.

Thanks!

I would put Brienne in her early-to-mid 20s and Gilly in her mid-teens, maybe a little older than Sam and Jon. Brienne is probably about the same age as Renly, maybe a little older. She's young enough to still have marriage value but old enough to have "been around the block" a few times. Gilly, I'm just basing it on her general demeanor and interactions with Jon and Sam.

As for the other question, the title "King of Winter" appears to refer to the Stark kings before the Conquest. "King in the North" is a newer title that is specific to Robb Stark, and possibly to his designated heir(s).

I think Apple Martini is right, Brienne isnt too young, or too old, though Catelyn calls her a "girl" rather than "woman".

And Gilly, well, Craster woud have gotten her pregnant as soon as she was able, so she could be about fourteen or fifteen.

But the King of Winter, I think, not sure, refers to a king of ALL the north, being both beyond-the-wall and the Winterfell bound land.

As for King of the North, I think it is the title given to the king of the Winterfell sworn lands only, when there were Seven kingdoms and kings for each domain.

Lady Hodor, I do not think the Starks were ever kings of the lands beyond the Wall at all. Brandon the Builder is the first known Stark, is he not? He built the Wall to protect his own kingdom against the White Walkers, not to divide hit in two.

I think that Brienne may be even younger than twenty, but I cannot remember where I found that reference ...

Another question that probably needs more answers:

King of Winter / King in the North

How high can dragons fly? Just give me the highest hight you remember being mentioned, thanks.

High enough to breathe fire on the towers of Harrenhal Definitely as high as most birds of prey and possibly higher-Dany mentions that Drogon looks like a speck when he ascends.

But the King of Winter, I think, not sure, refers to a king of ALL the north, being both beyond-the-wall and the Winterfell bound land.

As for King of the North, I think it is the title given to the king of the Winterfell sworn lands only, when there were Seven kingdoms and kings for each domain.

The pre-Conquest Starks are referred to as the Kings of Winter. They would not have been kings beyond the Wall, as the erection of the Wall coincides with the founding of House Stark (Brandon the Builder).

No one but Robb Stark, to my knowledge, was ever called the King in the North. Certainly not the pre-Conquest Starks.

I've seen it mentioned that GRRM took as long as he did in finalising aDwD because he had difficulty with one of the characters. But which character, and what difficulty?

Dany. He had difficulty untwisting the stupid Meereenese Knot.

Can we please get this pinned?

No one but Robb Stark, to my knowledge, was ever called the King in the North. Certainly not the pre-Conquest Starks.

I don't think that's correct. The Starks before Torrhen surrendered to Aegon had the King in the North title. At least this is what the end of the last Catelyn chapter in AGOT implies.

Also Bran in the last chapter of ACOK calls some of the Starks in the crypt "Kings in the North".

There's also this quote from GRRM:

The Seven Kingdoms usage of course dates from the time of Aegon the Conqueror. At that time, there was the King in the North (1), the King of Mountain and Vale (2), the King of the Rock (3), the King of the Reach (4), the Storm King (5), the King of the Iron Islands, who also ruled the riverlands (6), and the kingdom of Dorne, which was ruled by a prince (7).

I don't think that's correct. The Starks before Torrhen surrendered to Aegon had the King in the North title. At least this is what the end of the last Catelyn chapter in AGOT implies.

Also Bran in the last chapter of ACOK calls some of the Starks in the crypt "Kings in the North".

I was always under the impression that Kings of Winter was the "official" title the Starks took pre-Conquest (like the Lannisters were Kings of the Rock, etc.) and Robb's title of King in the North, as an "official" styling, was unique to him. The Game of Thrones appendix refers to them as Kings of Winter, not Kings in the North. Unless the titles are used interchangeably, I guess. I think of Kings of Winter as the "old" title and King in the North as the "new" one.

I remember Bran calling the Stark Kings "Kings of Winter" and Maester Luwin correcting him "Kings in the North" after Osha said that winter´s got no king. The last Bran chapter AGoT.

@Winterbreath

Are you shure about the birds of prey? Can you point me where I´ll find this.

From Dany's last chapter in ADWD:

Up and up and up he’d borne her, high above the pyramids and pits, his wings outstretched to catch the warm air rising from the city’s sun baked bricks. If I fall and die, it will still have been worth it, she had thought. North they flew, beyond the river, Drogon gliding on torn and tattered wings through clouds that whipped by like the banners of some ghostly army. Dany glimpsed the shores of Slaver’s Bay and the old Valyrian road that ran beside it through sand and desolation until it vanished in the west. The road home.

Archived