There are no men like me. Only me. Cocky or self-loathing?

Ravenhair

So many on this forum seem to think Jaime Lannister's statement: "There are no men like me. Only me." is a great tag line, full of the arrogance which makes up some of Jaime's personality. Me, I always thought the statement was one of pure self-loathing, which is one of the reasons Jaime, along with Arya, is my favorite POV. Thoughts?

When we first here about Jaimie, he really comes out as a total douch…

BUT!!!

In SOS, after a few POVs, and especially after the hand-cutting event, everything changes…

He is really one of my favourite characters now, and even though he loves himself, he also loathes himself; so it’s both, I would think.

I'd say the line is a mixture of the traits that make up Jaime Lannister-- Cockiness, smug arrogance, exceptionalism, shame, and loneliness.

I'd say that the arrogance, shame, and genuine loneliness are the trio of traits that form the base of his character.

Or did.

Because as of AFFC (after "learning the truth" about Cersei) Jaime is basically just Tyrion lite-- complete with amorality, thoughtfulness, cunning, wittiness, lust, objectification of women, sexually based loathing of his sister, and subtle misogyny.

Also like Tyrion, Jaime II is endlessly indulged, and allowed to get awqay with the most horrific acts that nearly any other character would be despised and condemned for. While almost any other character would be portrayed as at least significantly morally bankrupt or heartless for being willing to kill a kid, it’s all okay for Jaime (who, like Tyrion, often seems to be the author’s avatar), because he feels sort of bad when he does it. And also reflects endlessly on what a whore Cersei is.

Because as of AFFC (after "learning the truth" about Cersei) Jaime is basically just Tyrion lite-- complete with amorality, thoughtfulness, cunning, wittiness, lust, objectification of women, sexually based loathing of his sister, and subtle misogyny.

OT-

Have you read any Marion Zimmer Bradley?

I think you would appreciate her work.

While almost any other character would be portrayed as at least significantly morally bankrupt or heartless for being willing to kill a kid, it’s all okay for Jaime (who, like Tyrion, often seems to be the author’s avatar), because he feels sort of bad when he does it.

The only characters that are truly despised universally tend to be the absolute moral non-entities, the psychopaths and sociopaths like Joffrey or Gregor. Anyone capable of feeling guilty is redeemable, and therefore likable. If you hold out for the characters who haven't committed atrocities, you're left with a very short list.

And also reflects endlessly on what a whore Cersei is.

Any man that didn't given what she meant to him and knowing what he knows would be exceptional.

@Queen Cersei

When Jaime says this line, as you know, he knows nothing of what Cersei has been doing.

Also, I do not think that Cersei has that much to do with Jaime's self-loathing; we see his thoughts about himself in ASoS, before he learns about her having sex with others. Certainly, in AFfC, her actions seem to preoccupy him, and perhaps at that point, they add to his self-hatred, but also help him gain self-awareness.

And just for the record, I do not think Cersei is a whore. She does use sex to gain loyalty and power, but in her position, that is probably the best means available to her to play the game of thrones, and I don't fault her for wanting to play the game. Clearly, though, it does torment Jaime that she has had sex with other people. TBH, if I were Jaime and had been faithful all along, it would torment me as well.

However, I don't want this inadvertently to turn into a Cersei v. Jaime thread. I'm really just interested about people's thoughts on this particular line, which so many readers seem to love.

I agree with the view that it's both. A bit like his overall character in AFFC, where Jaime both feels there's no way people will like him again (honour is a horse/let me threaten another little Tully child) and thinks cockily that he actually is succeeding at being a knight (I've kept my oath to Catelyn by not literally drawing a sword when handing Riverrun to her murderers/Ser Goldenhand the Just).

Also like Tyrion, Jaime II is endlessly indulged, and allowed to get awqay with the most horrific acts that nearly any other character would be despised and condemned for. While almost any other character would be portrayed as at least significantly morally bankrupt or heartless for being willing to kill a kid, it’s all okay for Jaime (who, like Tyrion, often seems to be the author’s avatar), because he feels sort of bad when he does it.

I don't think he even feels sort of bad. If he did, he'd actually think about the deed; its absence in his POV shows that the child-crippling is utterly inconsequential to him, apart from the "Cersei nagged at me afterwards" memory, which doesn't show him in the best light.

First time I read it I thought it was arrogance, as in no one else could ever compare to me because I'm Jaime Lannister.

After reading the later books I now see it as Jaime thinking of himself as scum of the earth for how he pissed away his chance of being a knight of honor and legend. There is no one else like him because no one else could ever sink so low or fail so badly at being a good man. And I do think he wants to be a good man, and remembered as such, in fact I think its becoming the only thing that matters too him. Though if he becomes a good man or not remains to be seen.

I disagree. I think he hates that people hate him.

People do hate him. I know if I were Jaime Lannister being called Kingslayer, having people revile me for my finest act would being accused of profaning my blade would sooner or later make me feel alone and cause me to hate myself. No amount of good looks, skill with a sword and cockiness would be able to prevent feelings like that.

Archived