GRRM on Season 3

Westeros

Glad that ASOS will be split. It has way too much action for it to be condensed into 10 episodes without 1) cutting a lot of key stuff that sets up AFFC and ADWD, or 2) having the pacing be frantic (which is in the books at times) that people would be royally lost. Some are already howling about the pacing of the first 2 epiosdes this season.

I think I saw a suggestion that the first episode of this season should have been a two-hour premire (not 2 episodes back-to-back), any thoughts about this being a good way to open up the seasons from now on? It'd be better than a very brief recap of the previous season imho.

Well GRRM had a hard time writing the RW the first time, maybe he didn't want to have to do it twice. The RW takes place just after the middle of ASOS so it would fit the timeline. It'd be pretty odd to start season 4 with it.

Great point. I can't see it being anything but a season finally.

RW is like 600-700 pages into SoS. I understand for TV audiences needing to give them a cliffhanger so people remember to tune in when next season comes around, but that seems like a bit of juggling on the part of the timeline. If SoS will be split into two seasons, what will they do after RW and Joffrey's wedding? Ten episodes about the fallout?

They could include the parts of AFFC and ADWD that take place simultaneously with ASOS. All the Iron Islands plot regarding the Kingsmoot would fit in an hypotetical 4th season nicely.

And there are many storylines at the end of ASOS that would benefit from a little more development.

I think they have to shuffle the chapters from the books for making the scripts anyway when it comes to AFFC and ADWD. Making a season without Jon, Dany and Tyrion won't be a success in television.

And then stretching the content a little bit might be a good idea if the show remains successful. If there is a season every year covering a book. Season 6 might have no content because GRRM seems to do anything but writing on TWoW.

:(

I think that the final scene of S3 will be:

Beric Dondarrion and his merry band coming across Catelyn's body on the banks of the trident. Beric giving Cat his 'fire' and Cat's eyes opening.

- It serves a number of purposes: UnCat, the power of the Red God, Arya should have stuck with the Brotherhood and most importantly it gives the viewer a sense of hope that the wedding will be avenged.

I agree with Ran that RW will be the final episode of S3. Mainly because the PW has to occur in S4 because of the repercussions that it will have throughout that season. The RW effectively ends the...

King in the North

...subplot.

Season 3 can't really end with anything other than the RW, and it works with the season covering roughly half of SOS. So I don't think that Autumn Storms will be the RW.

Also how do u make spoiler tags?

He writes one of the most important episodes every season. Episode 7 is the Red Wedding. Hands down.

They are not going to put it in the ninth episode. People would be expecting something big to happen at that point. "Why is this scene at the Frey's wedding being given so much time and effort put into it...SOMETHING'S GONNA HAPPEN ISN'T IT?!"

Episode 7 is the Red Wedding, it is known. And it shall be glorious...

Was The Pointy End really that significant? I highly doubt that they'd put a climatic even near the middle of the season. It just doesn't make sense in pacing. I know we all want to wish that George is writing our favorite event, but the TV world is not that neat.

This is so amazing, I was a bit shocked that they'd only just confirmed series 3 as I'd kind of thought with all of the hype, the nominations, the fan base, that it would be more or less guaranteed for the whole series of books. I'd be so gutted if they stopped it for whatever reason, it really is totally amazing!

GRRM is my hero, I've never read anything that I just can't put down. In the end I bought the audio books as it meant I could listen to the books all of the time.

There's so much to cover in the books, I can't see how they can fit the whole of ACoK into one series, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. This is my first time on this forum, is there a section where people can talk about each book, so you don't give away spoilers to other people.

The first week I was a bit frustrated as I thought they would have opened on Stannis like in the book, but by episode two I'm a lot more relaxed and have stopped screaming at the tv! I guess thats the one downside to reading the books really.

I don't know where to ask this, but does anyone know when the next book is likely to be published.

I'm a bit of a geek and I've been to a gathering before to meet Philip Glenister from Ashes to Ashes, I've seen one for next April, are there any more meet ups with cast and crew etc? I think it would be so amazing if there was a general gathering where people dressed as their favourite characters and they had a feast, a tourny, lots of fun and games!

I'm sorry this went off track a bit!

Sadie,

Go to these subforums. There's one for each book, depending on which one you are reading. I higly recommend to stay away from the rest of the forums since ASOIAF is a saga where you don't want to be spoiled!

And we don't know when the next book will be published. But Georga has needed five years for each of the last two books, so I wouldn't be expecting them before 2015.

ETA:

I highly doubt that they'd put a climatic even near the middle of the season. It just doesn't make sense in pacing.

Well, it was in the middle of a book and it made sense in pacing, didn't it?

Although I think that they'll actually have the RW as a season finale, I wish that they ended the season with the PW.

I think the Rw will be Episode 9 like most people have said, it will allow them one final episode to show everyone that the show will go on without them. Basically the same thing they did with ned starks beheading,

Wouldn't it be great if we got the rw episode 9 season 3 and the pw episode 1 season 4?

I think the Rw will be Episode 9 like most people have said, it will allow them one final episode to show everyone that the show will go on without them. Basically the same thing they did with ned starks beheading,

Wouldn't it be great if we got the rw episode 9 season 3 and the pw episode 1 season 4?

I'm just thinking that if they have anything beyond the RW in season 3, season 4 will be left incredibly sparse. If episode 9 was the RW, 10 would pretty much have to be the PW. There isn't really any other suitable event to make the finale, unlike Dany's dragons and Winterfell.

I'm thinking that the RW will be episode 10 of season 3, and the PW will be episode 2 of season 4.

Red Wedding will surely be the finale.

By my own precise calculations, episode 7 will include the following stuff:

- Lord Hoster's funeral (this is of course assuming the Tullys are introduced, which surely is a must for the RW).

- Davos is released from prison and made King's Hand by Stannis.

- Tyrion meets with Tywin, who has the swords made for Joffrey and Jaime.

- Mel sacrifices the leech kings.

- The Hound's trial.

- The Night's Watch mutiny.

Archived