Brandon Stark wasn't so bad

Greatjon_umber

And yes, I went back and checked every post in the thread. A couple allude to the opinion that he might not have been averse to rape if things hadn't already been consensual, but no one has actually suggested he was involved in a rape.

If there was no rape or rape discussion, isn't alluding to the fact that someone might not be averse to it kinda weird?

I mean, no one's saying Brandon was prone to lighting cats tails on fire to see them run...if I suddenly propose that that's not something we can discount him being into, aren't I being a bit odd?

Anyways, just walked into this, no idea what's been going on, this exchange just caught me.

• 2 months later...

So.... you think the way to sort out the problem is to go to the stronghold of your enemy, who's father is notoriously insane, and start calling for the death of his son, not justice or a trial, but for the death of his son?

I think it was pretty brave of him. He went directly into the dragon's den with only a few retainers to challenge Rhaegar to a duel. Man to man. I don't think he had it in his head to start a war but to sort out the situation as two men of honor. Not exactly playing the game of thrones, but it was brave and honorable thing to do.

I already have a favourite character who is hot-headed, wants to kick ass and fuck whores and thats Robert Baratheon, I dont need two. He was also a better brother to Ned than Brandon, or more of a brother whichever. I dont have much of an opinion on him besides that.

7. 'Everything was always for Brandon" thought with, IIRC, an air of resentment by Ned - which seems to indicate both entitlement and a disregard for others (backed up by actually being entitled and his known actions.

Just to say I don't think there's resentment in this sentence.He says it was all meant for Brandon when he justifies he's not made to be the Hand. He says he never asked for it and I think he's sincere.The awkwardness here is just due to the fact that he married his brother's betrothed and that she mentions him,imo.

Most people don't believe that what Robert says about Rheager kidnapped Lyanna stark. So why should we believe that Brandon just simply rode down to kings landing and yelled at rheagers's keep "come out and die"? Jaime must have heard it form mad kind's mouth or his goons.

We know that Targariens have very high opinions of themselves for example "Dragon answers to no one". Could it be that Brandon simply want to confront Rheagar about his sister and Mad king spread the false rumor that Brandon was after Rheagar's blood?

Most people don't believe that what Robert says about Rheager kidnapped Lyanna stark. So why should we believe that Brandon just simply rode down to kings landing and yelled at rheagers's keep "come out and die"? Jaime must have heard it form mad kind's mouth or his goons.

We know that Targariens have very high opinions of themselves for example "Dragon answers to no one". Could it be that Brandon simply want to confront Rheagar about his sister and Mad king spread the false rumor that Brandon was after Rheagar's blood?

Jaime was there. He has no reason to lie.

Robert was not. His entire self-image requires his invention to be true.

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't have liked Brandon at all but its not his fault he was murdered. An angry brother doing something stupid is no reason to have him strangle himself to death as he watches his father burn alive. The victim blaming there is horrendous. It was all Aerys' fault because he was mentally unwell and could not use reason.

Other than that, he was a hot head lad who wanted to start fights and have sex with girls. We dont know more about him than that. Seems like a typical airheaded teen/early 20-something. He was loyal to his family and he loved his sister.

Wrong, Brandon was bad, he was badass! So he knew women before he was married, so did Tyrion, Theon, Jon Snow, Robert Baratheon,Jaime Lannister, and every other male in the series.

So he challenged the Prince and threatened his life. The Prince took his sister. He was asking for it. And the way he treated Littlefinger was gallant beyond compare.

I see alot of people that seem to have a negative opinion of Brandon, and I don't really understand why. The most common complaint about him, is his recklessness in marching to King's Landing, and demanding for Rhaegar to "Come out and die" or whatever his exact words were. But that's his family, as far as he knows his beloved sister was just kidnapped at swordpoint by the heir to the Iron Throne, a man practically untouchable. I don't know about the majority of you, but if I were a Stark, an ancient family that has been in power for 8000 years, and this upstart family, king or not, decides it's okay to steal away your own blood without your consent, I'd have done the same as Brandon. King, lord, fishermen, silent sister, doesn't matter who you are.

I agree. What Brandon did was actually quite brave. He was willing to do what nobody else would, challenge the heir to the Iron Throne. If this resulted in a duel between Brandon and Rheagar, than I'm going to be rooting for Brandon.

• 2 months later...

I LOVE BRONDON STARK BUT I HATE FOLDING WEB PAGES

I'm a fan of the old wild wolf Brandon Stark , he has blood in his veins instead of ice water ,but we are seeing Brandon through the eyes and feelings of others , Barbery Dustin sees him with the eyes of first love,while Catelyn sees Brandon as the honorable knight,and Jaime sees Brandon is some one like himself but this is further colored by his resentment with Ned Stark who despises him. And Ned sees him with the eyes of a perfect heir .The only way we get to see the true Brandon is if GRRM decides to do a novelette about the Starks .

Food for thought. Ashara Dayne is one the most beautiful woman in Westeros and the only man who wants her is Eddard .

I've never had a problem with Brandon really. He was a hot head sure, and not the sharpest tool in the box, but all in all not a bad guy.

He did what he felt was right and acted fairly recklessly and paid for it with his and his fathers life. I don't see how you could fault his love and loyalty to his family though

He was rash and hot-headed, but so was Robb. It doesn't make either of them bad people, just imperfect.

Also, riding to the capitol and demanding a guy's return your kidnapped daughter generally isn't a "set him on fire" response. Brandon might have been just a smidge underestimating how crazy Aerys was.

Just a smidge.

Archived