trebla-

That Renly scene wasn't bad, but I just am not a big fan of it. I realize HBO has to make people care about Renly more than what the book explicitly gives, and this is the way they are doing it. I think it is smart to make him a complex character with weaknesses based on how they have been portraying him.

But I feel this could have been avoided if they just made him the lovable Renly from the books that we all know. People would get attached to him just because of his personality, but in the show he is a complete 180, so they need to do something to make him more interesting.

jack's smirking revenge-

I'm with you about Loras, I actually liked him this episode a good deal, they did a fine job with his character here.

I really enjoyed the Renly and Margaery scene. I think it sets up her character in a great way, showing that she really understands "the game".

Tyrion and the small council members was great as well.

Not sure I have much in the way of complaints. Some things were definitely changed due to budget, which while frustrating are also understandable.

They could have displayed the same thing without all the making out. It was so unneccessary. I don't bitch about heteroism because every scene in the show so far displayed a purpose. (Jaime and Cersei in the tower for example.)

Now that is hilarious. GoT is known for unnecessary gratuitous sex, and this wasn't even sex, it was kissing. It was much more necessary to the story than any sex we've seen with Roz or even Theon to date. Get over your homophobia.

That said I like Alphie as Theon though I dono't like Gemma Whelan as Asha. She's very "blah" in the way that he delivers dialogue. Asha has a lot of charisma, it'd be nice if they didn't change that part of her personality. Also I don't know why they keep making Cersei so likeable.

I don't want to sound like a misogynist, but Asha is supposed to be hot. Isn't she supposed to be hot? It's been so long since I read her physical description by GRRM, but I sure have been picturing her as a sexy brunette, who's sexual deviance really turned me on. This actress may have a great personality in real life, but she really doesn't do it for me in the looks department.

I really enjoyed the Renly and Margaery scene. I think it sets up her character in a great way, showing that she really understands "the game".

I agree. And while I always stood behind the Natalie Dormer casting decision, I think this episode showed why it will be much more beneficial to have someone older who can fight against Cersei in later seasons.

Best episode of the season, by far. I loved the editing of Tyrion's meeting with the council members, and then him capturing Pycelle was awesome. I think my favorite little change was Yoren giving his backstory and introducing the idea of a nightly prayer to Arya. Great way to condense the storytelling a bit.

Next week looks to be full of iconic book scenes! The peach, the shadowbaby, Joffrey abusing Sansa, Ser Gregor punishing his prisoners...gonna be awesome!

I've no problem with Theon's letter even on a purist front. Days, maybe weeks, pass between Theon's two chapters, and nothing says he didn't go from that first meeting with his father pondering whether to warn Robb. Obviously they've adjusted the timing, but anyways, no issue. Not least because it's a brilliantly executed sequence. The only thing that would have improved it is if Theon did the hard-core drowning ceremony, not just the baptismal thing that passes for it these days, to prove himself. That would have been amazing to have on the screen.

I don't want to sound like a misogynist, but Asha is supposed to be hot. Isn't she supposed to be hot? It's been so long since I read her physical description by GRRM, but I sure have been picturing her as a sexy brunette, who's sexual deviance really turned me on. This actress may have a great personality in real life, but she really doesn't do it for me in the looks department.

I agree with you. I'm a woman but that was one of my complaints. However I could have ignored her look (Like I ignore the fact that Theon and Balon look nothing like the books) if she actually played Asha like she's supposed to. She' funny, witty, and has a great deal of charisma. Gemma is just....bleh.

I don't know, I just find tv Shae completely uninteresting.

I don't find her uninteresting exactly, but I feel like they have something planned for her that we just don't know about yet. Her whole mysterious backstory, and now she's taking handmaid lessons from Sansa - they definitely seem to be setting her up to be someone who is used to being on the other side of that situation. I really do think she is supposed to be some highborn lady from somewhere - and her scene with Sansa definitely added to that.

I agree with some of the others on here that Tyrion's plotting scene with Pycelle, Varys and Littlefinger was probably the best things done this season. I really like the way they cut it as well; it actually took me a second to figure out what they were doing and then I was like, whoa, dude, nice camerawork.

I also think the writers and Alfie Allen are doing a great job selling Theon's turn. I thought the books did a decent job of it, but only decent, and even that wouldn't have flown in a visual medium. But Alfie's face and mannerisms really sell it.

Not sure why they rushed the whole thing with Shae in the Red Keep, and a lot of screen time was wasted on it. Her character is so rude too for a whore. Even a married woman in that culture wouldn't behave like she did.

I hear people have drinking games that they take a drink whenever a character dies. Instead they should take shots whenever the show diverges from the book. Everyone will be on the floor by episode's end.

Edited by congokong

Now that is hilarious. GoT is known for unnecessary gratuitous sex, and this wasn't even sex, it was kissing. It was much more necessary to the story than any sex we've seen with Roz or even Theon to date. Get over your homophobia.........

Why bring GoT? I'm only talking about this episode. It was a good episode except for that and Sansa's scene with Shae. Shae's a pretty bad actor by the way and a very uniteresting chatacter in the tv show. You're probably going to demean me for that to.

That Renly scene wasn't bad, but I just am not a big fan of it. I realize HBO has to make people care about Renly more than what the book explicitly gives, and this is the way they are doing it. I think it is smart to make him a complex character with weaknesses based on how they have been portraying him.

But I feel this could have been avoided if they just made him the lovable Renly from the books that we all know. People would get attached to him just because of his personality, but in the show he is a complete 180, so they need to do something to make him more interesting.

See, I feel like for maybe the first time, we're seeing the carefree, lovable Renly from the books in tonight's episode. His amusement at the melee, his bemusement at Brienne's request...he even gave her a little wink! I said to Dub, "Finally, there's the Renly we know and love!" (but a more complex version, which I enjoy).

I'm loving Natalie Dormer's portrayal of Margaery so far. You can definitely see the "Queen of Thorns" influence on her. I understand in aging her you had to make her even more savvy than her book counterpart, but I don't think this is beyond reason of even her book character. I think she's a very savvy, but underrated player of the game. (With the QoT as your gram, you'd have to be daft to not be.)

I can only think back to a thread on ASOIAF sex, and some people saying "George! The books have had plenty of lesbian sex, throw us ladies a bone!" Buahahaha, I think Benioff and Weiss delivered. I loved the scene between Renly and Loras. It was funny, cute, and character-building all at the same time. Margaery being a political lioness worked well too.

I loved Tyrion -- so happy "goats" made it into the episode. His manipulation was well-played too.

And damn, Yoren went out like a bamf.

No, I don't know why so many people think this. This is how she's described: http://awoiaf.wester...sha_Greyjoy.jpg

Still a freak in bed though I'm sure

That's one artists vision....She's described in the book as being tall, athletic, with a wicked grin. The only thing that Theon states is unattractive is taht her nose is a little big. Other wise she's supposed to be good looking....she kind of looks frumpy like all the Greyjoys do in the show...which isn't how they are described in the book.

You know, as painful as it might be, sometimes, to see them take liberties, tonight reminded me of why this show can still accomplish so much -- even with its limitations. Theon has one of my favorite arcs in the entire series, and seeing Alfie Allen bring it to life is really satisfying. He's one of the more hated characters, yet he's also one of the most sympathetic. Yara/Asha was a little flat in this episode, but I'm enjoying the Balon and Theon dymanic...also, the idea that Theon is an asshole because he's always ever been the black sheep since he was a child. Really wish Yara would've shown signs of life.

The scene with Yoren and Arya was my favorite -- that little girl is something special. For all the tiddies they show, it's scenes like this that make the show what it is. RIP Yoren. :\ You, sir, are awesome. It just doesn't pay to be awesome in Westeros...that shit will get you killed.

Continue to love the Bran/Luwin stuff. And, little Tommen and Myrcella proved that Cersei gave Joff all of her asshole gene, thus, there simply wasn't enough to spare for the younger 2 sibs. I usually hate kids. Game of Thrones makes me love kids. RIP Lommy. :(

I'm convinced the actress who plays Brienne was literally born to play this role. I'm positive the actress, when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, would answer "Brienne." Even though the books weren't written. Can't wait until she gets more screen time.

Marge's tiddies weren't very big, but they sure were nice. She offered to tag team Renly with Loras...that's what you call a trooper...or, creepy. But, this is Westeros, so we'll call her a trooper. I am going to enjoy seeing the curtain pulled back with Marge, considering she's so hard to read in the books.

Dinklage was fun, as usual, in this episode. Really enjoyed seeing the scene with Pycelle/Littlefinger/Varys play out...it's one of my favorites in the book. I do not hate Shae anywhere near as much as I do in the books. She's one character who is being helped a ton by the adaptation.