[Book Spoilers] Theon´s "drowning"

First of all i dont actually recall how it is in the books,

but according to what i know, wasnt Theon supposed to be drowned in that ceremony at the shores of Pyke rather than being sprinkled with water?

And If they actually changed it, why do you think they did it? cerainly it wasnt a budget issue. Maybe it might have been a bit too dramatic to actually drown him?

Finally, do you think that was Aeron Damphair performing the ceremony?

I don't remember him being drowned. In fact, I think the ceremony happened when he first arrived on Pike. Aeron poured salt water from his water-skin over Theon's head. I remember reading somewhere that producers have said that that is not Aeron. Likely they don't want to cast him this early, when he won't show up again for 3 years IRL time.

First of all i dont actually recall how it is in the books,

but according to what i know, wasnt Theon supposed to be drowned in that ceremony at the shores of Pyke rather than being sprinkled with water?

And If they actually changed it, why do you think they did it? cerainly it wasnt a budget issue. Maybe it might have been a bit too dramatic to actually drown him?

Finally, do you think that was Aeron Damphair performing the ceremony?

He kneels in the water and is sprinkled with water from Damphair, he doesn't get dunked in the books.

I think it was their homage to Damphair, not sure if they have him playing a full part in the show

In the books, Theon just gets sprinkled with saltwater by Aeron before his sister even shows up, or he meets his father.

It was only a sprinkle because he is thinking that it is irritating because the water runs down his chest and back, under his clothes. He just does it to get Aeron to shut up, and take him to his father.

Isn't the drowning (as in actual drowning and "resurrection") more of a ritual to introduce someone into the servitude of the Drowned God as a Drowned Man?

Yes, a full drowning and then resurrecting the victim through CPR (I imagine they lost quite a few potential candidates) was done to those who wished to become a Drowned Man (priest). That scene is played out with Damphair in the beginning of a chapter with a young man, not Theon. Theon only had water poured on him, which is more of a ceremonial thing.

I really liked the way they made Damphair look for the scene and how everyone was dressed in dark steel and gray and blue colors... matched so nicely with the darkness of the water and sky - very nice visual touches.

I could imagine seeing the drowning straight away and having no knowledge of the book could be quite startling if you don't actually know what will happen. Also, this way allows Alfie to do a bit more acting in regards to his delivery, and also the meaningful looks exchanged between him and his father.

I'm going to correct myself in my previous post. Apparently Theon and all of his brothers were 'drowned' in the old style as a rite of passage as children. I don't remember this being stated in the books, but GRRM confirms it in this interview done as part of a "Religions of Westeros" short inside edition for the show:

Great video worth watching if you want to get a feel for how religion is being interpreted for the show, but it does give a few brief snippets of scenes to come which could be considered spoilers if you don't watch previews of coming episodes so beware.

Yes, a full drowning and then resurrecting the victim through CPR (I imagine they lost quite a few potential candidates) was done to those who wished to become a Drowned Man (priest).

I must admit it is a pretty bad-ass initiation ritual.

As it's already been said, there's two versions of the ritual and Theon was drowned as a rites of passage to manhood, but he just got the light version when he came back to Pyke.

All Ironborn get drowned (if they do it properly) and Damphair is held in high regard because he's never lost anyone.

Archived