[Book Spoilers] Theon´s "drowning"

I wanted Theon to be drowned in this episode simply because I wanted to see my sister's reaction (she's not a book reader) when it happened.

I so thought that was Damphair. Good protrayal of what I expected the character to be like.

Without this new video from GRRM, what did we know about the drownings? From my read of the books, I thought doing the drownings was a more recent revival of an old tradition. I interpreted it as an actual ressurection, giving more evidence of the return of magic. Somehow I missed the skillful CPR explanation.

(null)

Without this new video from GRRM, what did we know about the drownings? From my read of the books, I thought doing the drownings was a more recent revival of an old tradition. I interpreted it as an actual ressurection, giving more evidence of the return of magic. Somehow I missed the skillful CPR explanation.

Damphair described the "kiss of life" if I remember correctly. I should drag out the book and quote the actual scene dialogue, but I'm too lazy ;)

There's been a lot of speculation that it was some kind of magical ritual, but in reading the text carefully, its basically drowning and resuscitation via CPR. I guess that's why Dampair was so revered because as someone else pointed out, he's so skilled at it (gifted by the Drowned God) he's never lost an initiate of the drowning.

I imagined Aeron to be skinny and tall, but I did like this actor playing the Drowned Priest. He seems like he's capable enough to play the Damphair. For the little scene and lines he had, I found him to be quite awesome. Plus, I like his voice too. ;)

This was much more dramatic than the Damphair demanding Theon to kneel on horseshit so he can pour some water on his head. :P I really loved this scene and like someone mentioned before, we got the meaningful looks and glances between Theon and Balon. Both actors are totally owning their roles, btw. Maybe I'm biased, though, I love the Greyjoys!

Yeah, I didn't get the impression that was Damphair, but some random priest.

He's not, we are just saying that we wouldn't mind if he was cast as Damphair in the future. :)

I thought they portrayed the scene pretty well compared to the books. It was my favorite scene in the episode.

This so much, I have watched it about a dozen times now, and that is not something I usually do.

That first wide angle shot just of Theon and the priest standing in the water, with the rocks and the sea for background, that incredible soundtrack playing ... that scene really blew me away. Only the first glimpse of the wall compares to it and that was CGI.

I REALLY hope they keep the priest as Damphair, he was AWESOME.

"Let Theon your servant be born again from the sea, as you were.

Bless him with salt.

Bless him with stone.

Bless him with steel.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

The Damphair in the books always came across like a sour, narrowminded, slightly hysterical zealot, but that guy was truly impressive.

He's not, we are just saying that we wouldn't mind if he was cast as Damphair in the future. :)

I was thinking that as well. The actor they cast played the role quite well. It be a bit weird if he was presented as Theon's uncle later on as Theon never reacted to him as such.

So far as this thread is concerned, if you watch the Religions of Westeros video the producers and Martin confirm that Theon was drowned at birth. The baptism we saw is usually not needed at that point in the life of an Ironborn but served to wash away his link to the Starks.

It was a formal ceremony and they were already in place before the camera panned in, so it wouldn't be to weird if he didn't mention "uncle".

The reason I liked the priest was because I feel like he gives off the impression to new viewers that these Ironborn mean friggin' business.

I regretted a bit that we did not get to see a full drowning (though I don't think we see one in a CCK, but later in the books).

THis ceremony looks like a bit to much to a baptism, anf I feel non readers will loose the dramatical and thoughness of the Iron Men.

However, I love the Pyke arc, the settings, Theon and his family.

This did not bother me because it was handled more effectively on the show, imo. Aeron just pours some water on him and Theon was more annoyed by the cold water dripping down his back. It was much better on the show and held more meaning for Theon and his decision to follow his family and people. It had a much more dramatic impact than in the book.

Honestly, I couldn't think of better, cooler way to introduce the Damphair, than for his very first scene to be him "drowning" and reviving his followers. I'd like that image to be saved for Damphair's entrance on the show. It immediately gives the viewer a vibe of the kind of man Aeron is. It wouldn't be as cool or shocking if they already gave this image away.

Did anyone notice the boots Theon was wearing? They appeared to be please-spare-me-from-getting-my-lower-clothing-wet-the-water-is-frigging-cold boots and I'm amazed that the ironborn were OK with something like that. It probably constituted the last time they gave the poor guy a break. What a wretched family.

Archived