53 replies to this topic

#1 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,069 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I wanted to call it "Yoren's last stand," but that might have been a bit too revealing for our non-reading friends.

My question to you is this: How badass was Yoren's last stand? Obviously, this is a rhetorical question. I am not asking to hear you equivocate on whether it was worthy of a thread or not. I am asking to see who among you can do justice to its awesomeness with the written word.

Begin.

#2 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

There once was a man wearing black,
who fell victim to a brutal attack.
He fought with his body and thought with his head,
and littered the ground with Lannister dead.
Noble in deeds he kept the foes at bay,
long enough for Arya to slip away

#3 The Monkey

The Monkey

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

They made him so much more sympathetic in the series. In the novel he beat Arya on one or more occasion if I'm not mistaken, and was generally very cold and distant towards her.

Not that I mind the change. It adds to the tragedy of Arya's story as yet another father figure of sort is killed in front of her eyes.

#4 Lord Damian

Lord Damian

Fist of the First Men

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Yoren's scene was spectacular, he was a true badass and It shows how a long term veteran of the Nights Watch could take on anyone single combat and hold their own. In Yoren's case, impossibly outnumbered and going down after taking several with him was a glorious end to a good man. It also reinforces my pure hatred for all of the Lannisters. Except Tyrion ofcourse.

#5 Blisscraft

Blisscraft

Metaphorically Speaking

• Members
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

I hate crossbows, too.

#6 Racibor

Racibor

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

He had what, 4 or 5 scenes in the series? Yet it was far more memorable then even some of the major characters, who had more screentime. Serious badass stuff and the actor did splendid job here.

#7 Ski the Swift

Ski the Swift

Sexy and you know it

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Although loving the greatness of the scene I am a bit disappointed in the blood used in the series, it looks fake. It didn't bother me too much up until the sword is pulled from Yoren and it shows a full blade lengths worth of blood. Just sayin. It also has been awhile since I have read the books, does Yoren say the same or similar story to Arya about his revenge?

#8 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LIBRARIAN

• Members
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Although loving the greatness of the scene I am a bit disappointed in the blood used in the series, it looks fake. It didn't bother me too much up until the sword is pulled from Yoren and it shows a full blade lengths worth of blood. Just sayin. It also has been awhile since I have read the books, does Yoren say the same or similar story to Arya about his revenge?

I don't believe there is any conversation like that from the books - their relationship in the books was very different than what is on screen.

Yeah, when Lorch pulled the sword of Yorens back and it looked like he had just dipped it into a paint can, that was a little much. There have been a few times when they have gone with the Friday the 13th view of blood shed - when Hugh of the Vale dies, Vardis Egan and the knight that gets knocked down on Joffreys name day each seemed to produce a small river of blood. I don't want a 1950's type spot of blood on a shirt when someone got shot, but there is a happy medium in there.

#9 Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

ice queen

• Members
  • 6,248 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

That was possibly the most badass fight scene on TV ever. He's got an arrow buried so deep they'll have to bury him with it and still he manages to take out a couple men. I give it a 9. It'd get a 10 if they didn't ruin it with such terrible fake blood.

#10 Ser Sweets

Ser Sweets

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

They made him so much more sympathetic in the series. In the novel he beat Arya on one or more occasion if I'm not mistaken, and was generally very cold and distant towards her.

Not that I mind the change. It adds to the tragedy of Arya's story as yet another father figure of sort is killed in front of her eyes.

He was a lot colder in the books, but he still had the same overall intentions. He was a good man, though one crusted over with callous. And dirt, if I recall correctly.

Loved how they altered him in the series, and I was totes 'D:' at his death. He went out like a boss, at least.

#11 kungtotte

kungtotte

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

His last stand totally makes up for cutting one of the best bad-ass one-liners in the entire series: "That's no law, just a sword. Happens I got one too."

#12 Mulled Wino

Mulled Wino

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

my non-reading wife was pissed when he died. good sign

#13 Ser Plissken

Ser Plissken

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

His last stand totally makes up for cutting one of the best bad-ass one-liners in the entire series: "That's no law, just a sword. Happens I got one too."

Another badass line I would have loved to see in the show came just after the Gold Cloaks had been sent packing for the first time. When Arya points out that the guy said he'd take Yoren's head, the Black Brother's priceless response was...

Well, as to that, if he can get it off my shoulders, he's welcome to it.

#14 Arkash

Arkash

Time Lord beyond the Sunset Sea

• Members
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

"That's no law, just a sword. Happens I got one too."

I agree, it is sad this line didnt made it to the show !

There was so much awesome lines in the books at this moment that didnt make it...

#15 lmanion

lmanion

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Anyone else notice the first spear gets jabbed into the back of the top of his right leg very similar to what they did with Ned

#16 Sphinx The Riddle

Sphinx The Riddle

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

and one day william came to town..

#17 Bolivar

Bolivar

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've whined about invented scenes, but I actually did like his tale of his brother. It made sense for the character in the books as well, who was described as sinister.

Fight scene was incredibly bad ass. I agree with the sentiment that it shows what a seasoned veteran of the Night's Watch is capable of, someone who's been North beyond the wall hunting wildlings and has seen other things.

#18 Chelly

Chelly

Temptress, Cracker of Whips, and Slayer of Pants

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I enjoyed Yoren explaining to Arya how he ended up on the wall. I have no issue with him giving Arya the idea of her "prayer".

His final fight was badass. My favorite part besides "I hate crossbows" The next part when he says "They take to long to load" and then he starts cutting bitches down. I loved it. I though it was a nice touch how even after he died, he still wouldn't go down. Lorch had to push him over. Yoren was so cool.

#19 Fredwin

Fredwin

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I wish he didn't die offscreen in the book now. We missed out on a good fight.

I never really got the feeling Yoren was a cold bastard in the book at all. I thought he made it pretty obvious Arya's life was at stake at all times and she had to play the role perfectally. The harshness he showed her was for her own good if she didn't want to get caught. He did give his life for his charges, in both versions.

#20 Vandalism

Vandalism

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I freakin loved Yoren as a minor character. I mean, gruff and rough he may have been, but he had a good heart to go out of his way and help Arya.

In a world where good never gets its rewards, a heroic death is always heart warming. Yoren was a hero.