[Book Spoilers] Book Petyr vs. TV Petyr

My theory for the Cersei-LF scene and the changes to LF is that they want to show the adaptive side of LF more than his scheming side.

The show already has three cunning characters in Kings Landing with Tyrion, Cersei and Varys, so they probably want to establish LF as an adaptive, improvising character that doesn't necessary follow an agenda, but "rides on chaos", as he describes himself in the books, just to gain as much power as he can.

The scene with Cersei was to show that LF underestimated her after he dealt with Ned, and now quickly reacts to "mitigate his losses". I don't really know what he will be doing at Renlys camp, they probably want to add some scenes of him with Catelyn to show his love for her, so non-readers quickly grasp his affection for a certain other character, and his involvement with events in SoS will probably be explained as his version of paying his debts to Cersei.

I'm not quite happy with this change, as book-LF would never openly confront Cersei, but with Cersei not as crazy as in the books, they probalby didn't want to establish him as the "puppet master" he is over her, to give her character some more room to grow in the show.

Petyr has to be more obvious on the show because there won't be lots of time to spend on developing his one character. The writers need to establish now that Petyr has high ambitions because it will come out of nowhere if, 2-3 years from now, Petyr is suddenly revealed as the mastermind behind the war.

It is a convenient speeding up of events that sent TV Petyr out to the Renly camp now. Now once shadow Stannis does its work, Petyr can be there to immediately try to strike an alliance with House Tyrell. But for whom? and will Catelyn know about this, when she heads back to Riverrun?

Archived