[Book Spoilers] Arya's scene

BoX

Was anybody else really upset about how the show handled the big fight with Yoren's group and and the Lannister soldiers. I understand budget/time limitations, but it really bothered me that they condensed and changed SO much (almost everything). On the show, once everybody is captured they announce that they are going to Harrenhall. If you're familiar, Arya and her small group escape and later get caught. And during THIS capture, a bunch of villagers are tortured by The Tickler. During this, is when she starts to hate The Tickler and The Mountain's men. I'm probably being premature on this, they (the show) may decide to have the scenes in their own way. Anyway I've just not been very impressed with season 2, I loved season 1.

Was anybody else really upset about how the show handled the big fight with Yoren's group and and the Lannister soldiers. I understand budget/time limitations, but it really bothered me that they condensed and changed SO much (almost everything). On the show, once everybody is captured they announce that they are going to Harrenhall. If you're familiar, Arya and her small group escape and later get caught. And during THIS capture, a bunch of villagers are tortured by The Tickler. During this, is when she starts to hate The Tickler and The Mountain's men. I'm probably being premature on this, they (the show) may decide to have the scenes in their own way. Anyway I've just not been very impressed with season 2, I loved season 1.

Not at all. I thought the scene was great. I thought the whole episode was great. I'm noticing a lot of people are starting to become very picky with the show. A lot of things need to be cut out or interpreted in a slightly different way. They don't have the budget or the time to shoot every single detail from the books. If they did, you would end up with a season that was 14 episodes, and might be boring for television.

To be fair, it takes alot more than 2 hours of filming to get two one hour finished episodes. I agree that the season would be much better served with 12 episodes, and many parts feel rushed, which just makes any original scenes they add that are not spectacular, feel like wastes of time to me. But at the same time it would be a major misconception to imply they filmed the 10 hour season in 10 hours. Two more episodes would require a significant increase in time and money to do unfortunately.

Not really. The bigger time would be in drafting more script. Most of the added scenes would be in previously used locations/sets and assuming they do 5-10 takes of every scene to get several angles and pick the best readings, this is probably adding no more than a day or two to each location. A better finished product is worth a day or two.

I was starting to get a major headache watching that lightning fast scene. I understand why they did it and it's probably fine with a typical viewer, but it was quite shocking and yes, a little disappointing.

I'm starting to wonder if I imagined all the exterior and war parts of the books. so far the war if the five kings reminds me of a cold war, nothing happens. Westeros in the show seems like a nice place to be a peasant, not so much in the books. They could have put fake blood on some extras and have them play dead, have yoren give some explanation, maybe.have some of the corpses be naked, HBO would like that. Maybe peasant rape could be incorporated into an episode, that would illustrate atrocity and help with the nudity quota

Except for the fact that Lommy forgot to say "I yield" before getting it in the throat, I think they did a good job condensing the storyline.

They did have HotPie say it as they were being gathered up, but yeah, that would have been a nice touch. They did keep the "got to carry me" in which was cool.

I was fine with the fight & chase being condensed down. Not really missing anything in the transit that was critical to have.

Not really. The bigger time would be in drafting more script. Most of the added scenes would be in previously used locations/sets and assuming they do 5-10 takes of every scene to get several angles and pick the best readings, this is probably adding no more than a day or two to each location. A better finished product is worth a day or two.

I think you're wrong about this, and I agree that 12 episodes would have been preferable to ten, but adding two whole new episodes would take a hell of a lot longer than just a day or two. If it was just as simple as two days of extra filming, they would have added two episodes.Two whole episodes requires a lot more filming, and tons more done in post production, such as editing, adding music, etc. Would have taken additional weeks and possibly months, not just two days. And obviously, two more episodes would cost more, which may also be a reason for HBO ordering 10 rather than 12.

Considering they have only ten episodes this season and things needed to be condensed, I was very happy with how they handled Arya's storyline. Makes sense to just have them get captured at that moment, and the show already covered the most important scene of the books during that short time she's on the run, that being Arya telling Gendry who she really was.

If that was the case then why did it take them several months to get 10 episodes filmed? You have to have time for the actors to learn their lines. You have to prepare special effects and post production. You have to work out the directing of the scene, the writing of the scene, the stunt work or fight choreography of the scene if required. Organize extras, makeup, costumes, and so on. From what I have seen in the making of videos from season 1 and the previews of season 2, it is not uncommon for a single long scene to take an entire day or more to film. To think you will get 2 episodes at the current level of quality in a day or two is not realistic.

It was a clever way to condense the storyline of Arya somewhat. Brian Cogman was interviewed by Westeros.org a few days ago and he gave a good explanation why they did what they did. You can find the entire interview here. A while ago I read somewhere that shooting a single episode takes up to 10 days, mind you this is just for the raw footage. An episode like Blackwater took an entire month to film! Adding two episodes is simply not possible unless they start sacrificing on quality.

They have 10 episodes to condense the entire novel, only things that affect the plot would be included.

From a practical standpoint I agree, though if you take that to the extreme they could cut Dorne from the story completely in future seasons and end up at roughly the same spot as the books are at the end of Dance. I'd miss the Red Viper, but otherwise what is the end result of the rest of Dorne's involvement so far relative to the number of chapters they get, the number of characters they will have to cast for the TV show, and time spent on those characters?

Part of the appeal of the story is the journey, not just the final destination. I understand the financial and time constraints that have resulted in things being a 10 episode season and much condensed, but I can't say the story doesn't suffer at all from those changes. To contrast there are other TV shows that I enjoy where I never think this is pretty good, but it would be even better if they had more budget, or more episodes to flesh out the story. Perhaps if I wasn't pre-biased due to the books that would be less of an issue.

Although this was the best episode so far IMHO, I really missed Arya screaming Winterfell and all that stuff. I loved the fight scene in the book, I cheered for the characters so much...

Still, I understand it'd be wasting a lot of screen time when they only have 10 episodes to show the whole Clash of Kings book... Honestly, I hope next season will have more chapters... or else I think a lot will be lost :(

I was a bit upset with some changes at first... I still am at some, but I think it's for the best, after all, the books and the series can't be the same thing. There's a lot to change from one medium to another....

That sounds like arbitrary and capricious reasoning. Two more hours of filming isn't much, considering they are already on location.

Good grief.

Filming takes more than just three guys and a camera. Simply shooting the scenes involves transporting millions of dollars of equipment around the globe, filming in multiple locations year-round, scheduling dozens of actors, hundreds of crewmen, constructing and maintaining sets, cutting, reviewing, and re-shooting dailies.

But yes, you're absolutely right, two extra hours involves absolutely no extra effort whatsoever, and they're only doing ten episodes because they're lazy.

Does it mean they will cut out Weasel? Then how will they explain the weasel soup? Also, even though it doesn't affect the overall story - and Arya never trully reflects back on it afterwards - I loved seeing her looking after a baby. It's one of the things that forces her to grow up way too fast and forms part of her character.

If they plan to condense the entire clash of kings into 10 episodes than this was completely necessary and very well done imo

It might not have been necessary if they'd decided to exclude just one gratuitous sex scene somewhere in the season. Normally I'm a big fan of gratuitous sex, but not when it starts interfering with the story-telling.

I thought Yoren mouthing off to a bunch of armed guys seemed reckless to the point of suicidal stupidity when he's not at the top of holdfast walls like in the books. I really liked Yorens bit with Arya though, once I realized where it was going. The prayer is a cool part to keep I think. Also the wagon with Jaqen, Rorge and Biter in it being on fire works much better in a barn thats going up than just being outside and catching on fire from a stray torch, but whatever. These things aren't big details, I just thought Yoren going hero mode was a bit outside of the tone of the books. Whoever killed Lommy had a really good look for one of Lorch's thugs. Also didn't think there was much point to making it all about Gendry too...

Not upset in the slightest. They managed to keep all the salient points in while condensing the plot in a way that makes sense. In the book there is A)the tower battle; B)the escape and capture; c)the journey to Harrenhal during which Arya starts her "prayer". All they did was combine A + B. And to me, S2 picked up right where S1 left off in quality and has only gotten better. Having said that, it is virtually inevitable that they further they go in the series, the more they will have to cut from the book which will upset the book purists.

I have been disappointed with all the changes. At least they could have made Arya go down with a fight instead of a whimper. She was yelling WINTERFELL WINTERFELL. Everyone heard her and hot pie was yelling hot pie. I just feel that Arya was totally sold short she is way more bad ass then that. I personally love when she gives hot pie a good beating with her practice sword.

Archived