Why do people hate LF so much?

Darth Rivers

I think it's a bit cruel to say "natural selection" justifies using other people the way Littlefinger sometimes has. Compassion and the ability to imagine oneself in someone else's place or situation are two of the most important parts of our humanity, so there is tendency to dislike people who ruthlessly take advantage of others. Some of that is at work in the widespread dislike of Petyr Baelish, but there's also the creep factor, and the fact that he has contributed to the downfall of some of the series's best-loved characters.

I find him to be a fascinating character and I'm eager to see what happens to him, but I'll never like Littlefinger as a person.

My main problem with him is that he lacks any kind of loyalty, he has this creepy fixation with Sansa and he is a serpent tongues schemer, lier and general chaos agent and that are things that I don't think highely about.

Eh... I hate Littlefinger for all the sorrow he brought to the realm.

just to quote myself:

Littlefinger is a very shady figure. For personal gain and petty revenge, he stoked the flames of what turned into the War of the five Kings. He killed his mentor, Jon Arryn, and entangled the Starks into the KL mess in order to increase tensions with the Lannisters. He arguably planted the idea of beheading Ned into Joffrey's head, making civil war unavoidable. He was involved in the assassination of King Joffrey and the framing of Sansa Stark (whom he wanted to control) and Tyrion Lannister (whom he wanted out of his way). He also killed his long-time lover and by then wife, Lysa. He wants to possess Catelyn Stark, but when that isn't possible anymore, he goes for Sansa as a substitute. Yes, one could argue that he murdered the 'bad guys' more often than not. But his motives for doing so, and the context of these murders, make it unlikely he's just doing it because he's such a nice fellow.

er he single handily did all he could to bring about a civil war irrespective of the pain and suffering that this would cause simply for his own hope of gain.

If you are mentioning natural selection The Ned is doing better than Littlefinger as he has three children who could reproduce as opposed to Littlefinger's zero.

He's just being smart, and his ambition matches his ability. I don't see what's wrong with that. In before someone starts whining about honor - natural selection at work, people.

This may shock you, but not everyone is a moral nihilist. People who aren't moral nihilists will sometimes 'whine' about morality and issues of right and wrong. These types of people take issue with Littlefinger's willingness to cause massive amounts of death and suffering to benefit himself. Welcome to Earth, enjoy your time here, you'll just have to get used to these 'whiners'- there are quite a few of them, I've found.

I think if he wasn't revealed backwards, he would have been a tragic hero for many. He loved a girl dearly, was declined her hand, becaue of his lowly situation, but challenged her suitor to a duel that was to be the death of him and then his heart turned to stone ^_^ If not for Jeyne Poole, I would sincerely hope he lives happily ever after. Oh, Lysa was too bad too...Damn.

His past and desire to better himself are definitely things readers would sympathize with and like him for. The problem is he developed into a selfish sociopath that knowingly provoked a war that caused thousands of deaths and seems hellbent on continuing to undermine people and Westeros as a whole for his own gain.

He's a very interesting character but also an unpleasant person.

I think it's a bit cruel to say "natural selection" justifies using other people the way Littlefinger sometimes has.

Superior candidates for power displace less competent alternatives.

I find him to be a fascinating character and I'm eager to see what happens to him, but I'll never like Littlefinger as a person.

Of course. It's best to surround oneself with dumber people who can't manipulate you, so I wouldn't want to know him either.

Littlefinger is a sinister, selfish, devious SOB whose whole life has been fueled by his envy of Ned Stark's brother (spacing his name atm). His designs for Sansa are flat-out creepy. At the same time, he's a very engaging character. I think Sansa is going to learn a great deal from him; I just hope she kills him along the way.

Why hate him? Because people don't like it if there's some smug bastard around that is cleverer than themself.

Oh.. and aside from that he has no moral or scrupel if he wants something (and he seems to want everything)

By the way... I love him.. Well.. I love reading about him cause he's very interesting and hasn't failed to surprise me yet with his actions.

In rl I probably would hate him a lot or at least keep my distance from him.

But then again. He would be a great friend to have. Better to have him as a friend than as a foe.. If only he could be trusted.

Because he is a backstabbing opportunist with a chip on his shoulder, for something that happened twenty years ago. Unless you think these are good things, they are pretty good reasons to dislike somebody. And being a backstabbing opportunist is not something that requires particular skill or inteligence, just being a dick. On the subject of natural selection, cockroaches have been around for three hundred million years. Emulate them to your heart's desire.

I don't hate Littlefinger, but I would get some satisfaction from his death. I think he needs to die, because he's too dangerous too live. I really want Lady Stoneheart to kill him, but I doubt that is what will happen.

He is fantastic as a character and brings scheming to whole new level. He always grabs my attention.

he's forcing 11-13 year old girls to prostitution, and help turning the seven kingdoms to a wasteland, not to mention his emotional abuse (and planned Rape IMHO) of sansa and the blame of a murder on an innocent person. For what?

because a girl said "no" 15years ago

yeah sounds like tragic person and near hero to me

just being sarcastic: look at his deeds this guy has IMHO to the same black soul as Euron, Ramsey, Roose and Gregor

Archived