[BOOK SPOILERS]Davos - One Son?

Is this confirmed now?

I recall there was an exchange this episode, either between him and Stannis or him and Melisandre that seemed to heavily imply that he just had the one son.

I guess the books were overkill in that they had a whole brood of Seaworths exterminated without us really being introduced to them.

While it would be interesting to see the Westeros version of 'The Sullivan Brothers", having only one son does give us the connection - trying to introduce all of his sons just takes screen time. As long as we see either Davos see his son or directly see his son lost then the impact is there. Course, they could decide to go in a different direction and then all bets are off as to the Mel/Davos interplay.

I remember Liam Cunningham mentioning in an interview that Davos only had one son and that certainly seems to be the case. Seven sons would have been too much but I think it would have been better to have one older son to die at Blackwater and another to be a squire to Stannis. Oh well, it's not that big a deal

Is it really that hard to just say he has seven sons while only showing the one? Make the eldest his 2nd in command if you want to kill him in front of his father and just imply the others perished on their own ships. I would think Devan at least has something to do being so close to Stannis. The other two only give us the consolation that their mother isn't sitting alone in an empty keep.

I certainly wasn't implying that they should have introduced all the sons, they hardly did in the books.

I'd of made it 3 sons, had them mentioned once or twice, show them in episode 9 and feed them to the drowned god.

I agree with this. As I remember Davos's other sons are hardly 'on page' so no harm or narrative time eaten by mentioning them.

Don't even need to show them.

It did make Davos's loss more tragic.

I always thought Devan in the books is set up to kill/betray his own father because of his religion. How will they handle that in the future if he only has one son?

These tv show changes certainly imply that a lot of speculation the book readers have is now moot. Stannis telling Massey to keep the fight going for Shireen in the Theon gift chapter? I know it's somewhat ridiculous, but apparently the show tells us that grrm has no plans for Shireen or Devan.

Are TV viewers as dumb as TV creators think? I guess it's the whole LCD thing, so just saying Davos has 7 seven sons will confuse all the fans who ?apparently? enjoy the whore-sex and overkill torture scenes. 1 is easier than 7.

Archived