When did Jon Snow start boring you to tears?

Queen Cersei I

I find his storyline entertaining, so he never started boring me to tears. I guess in ACOK, perhaps the weakest book for Jon Snow, there were moments that I wasn't fully satisfied, of course that was before the awesomeness that is Qhorin Halfhand.

In ADWD his chapters were very entertaining, in fact everything in the north worked in that book and the chapters that were centered in the north were mostly excellent. Davos, Bran, Theon, Arianne, Jon Snow chapters were among the best of the book.

For me, Jon Snow did not come into his own as an interesting character until ADwD.

In the prior volumes, his chapters were not awful, but not really all that great either. They were saved not by Jon himself, but by some of the other figures he came into contact with (Tyrion, Stannis, Mance, Qhorin Halfhand, Maester Aemon, Jeor Mormont).

So, here's my question-- (or, I guess, I'll start it out with a statement)-- Jon Snow is clearly too fucking boring to be actually hated. But when did he start boring you to tears?

Queen Cersei you know nothing, it is known. :cool4:

Actually, I was getting a little bored with the wonder boy myself until I did a re-read of just the Jon and Sam chapters. I found that he comes across as a richer more developed character when read through as compared to jumping around. You might give it a try :dunno:

Jon Snow, that's a guy you can rely on, you want a used car? Go see Jon Snow, your wife cheating on you with the post man? Go see Jon Snow.

This guy gets shit done, bit chubby and everyone hates you? leave it to me I'll sort it out, that's what Jon Snow would say, a credit to his species.

That is all.

So the problem with Jon Snow is that he's too even tempered, logical and competent to be interesting? Or that the fact that he's so is an unrealistic impossibility? I actually find the idiotic and unnecessarily complicated plotting (and blundering) of most of the other characters dull and useless, so the fact that Jon actually makes things work reasonably is interesting to me in and of itself.

I was intrigued by Jon in the beginning and I enjoyed reading about him. COK wasn't his best book but a lot of characters got boring for me in that book so I guess I can overlook that. I started to gain some interest when he joined the wildlings but then he left them and got boring again. He was just starting to get interesting again when he was rallying people to go south and meet Ramsay Snow and then he got stabbed.

Typical.

The problem I have with Jon is while I love him as a character and think he was a great Lord Commander, I just don't find the wall interesting at all. Unless the wights finally attack I don't know how i'm going to find the strength to read anymore chapters about the wall.

I never got the impression that Jon Snow was boring. In fact, it's pretty hard to justify the opinion that he or his story arc are boring, unless you've decided that you just don't like coming-of-age stories for some reason. He demonstrates real character growth and maturity over the course of the books, traits which are lacking in many other main characters.

Ygritte was probably the most annoying part of his storyline, and I'm thankful she didn't become a permanent fixture in his life.

I really liked his chapters and his character so I have to say: not yet.

I enjoyed reading his chapters in ADWD, but I still find the character himself incredibly boring. But his chapters in ADWD were, imo, the best of the lot, along with the Theon/ Reek storyline.

He doesn't need cosmo; he had Samwell Tarly, who is portrayed as being very good with his tongue (e.g. licking clean the porridge bowls, his fingers after a messy snack, sucking on snowballs for hydration, and long make out sessions with Jon Snow). He's also read every book in Westeros (twice), so Jon had an unlimited pool of knowledge to draw from.

:lmao: Oh wow. When I first read that first sentence, for a second I thought you were in earnest. My head was then flooded with unholy images of where/ how/ why Sam could have learned the Lord's Kiss, and how, exactly, he'd taught it to Sam.... :eek:

Also, talking about "unlimited pools to draw from" sounds all wrong in this context...

When Val the Wildling Princess gets here your in trouble .. :P It only bored me when the chapter ended and I read about Sansa/Dany/Cercie I thought he had a lot of heart, the whole snobbery thing was just his reaction to the fact his preconceptions had been smashed and he was in fact surrounded by murderers and rapist. He did in fact find the few good men in the watch. He is a bit of a cliche , what with him being Jon Snow master swordsman and defender of puppies but Cercie is This mixed with This !

Interesting. To me she's always suggested the following:

http://www.talknerdytomelover.com/storage/aggressive-lioness-4219-1241643089-8.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1301629818625

Cersei to Jaime: Bad hair day? BAD HAIR DAY? Say what? Ohhhhh, you’d better back the fuck down, bitch!

I must have read a different book, I must say the act of cunnilingus comes naturally to all of us highborn and maybe your last bout of it has left you in a foul mood. My Queen.

I could have your tongue removed for such impudence, Ser. :spank:

Of course, the answer to this question is not easy. Initially, I thought-- when he first appeared. However, reflecting back, it was not until after he got away from his dissaproving Dursely esque step mommy that he really started to lull me to sleep.

Things worsened when he magically loses his mild sense of entitlement and snobbish supperiority (since one Very Special Talk with a wise talking blacksmith is SURE to rid a 14 year old kid of the deeply entrenched class prejudices that have been drilled into him since birth, I'm sure), and became the all around darling and friend to all the lost boys of the nightswatch.

His emo freak out improved things a bit, but even that, in itself, was sort of... meh. (The great hero, who can withstand anything... except for... Heartbreak! :tears: )

Then the boredom became complete and total as I watched him integrate totally with the wildings in a matter of weeks, begin a cliched romance with a sexually aggressive, insatiable wilding girl who clearly had "tragic death by books end" written on her forehead, and somehow discern how to perform perfect cunningulus without the help of prior instructions, gossip, or even the Westeros equivalent of cosmo magazine.

But it was when everyone voted him into a supreme position of power at the age of 16--not because he wanted it, mind you, but to his clear, overarching, unbearable awesomeness-- that made me really discover that his chapters from here on out would be a chore.

So, here's my question-- (or, I guess, I'll start it out with a statement)-- Jon Snow is clearly too fucking boring to be actually hated. But when did he start boring you to tears?

For a girl who has never ever had oral sex, anything Jon does is going to feel good, especially because Ygritte was not expecting it. It's not like the book said..."and then Jon Snow made Ygritte squirt seventy seven times", or anything. It just said she enjoyed it, and again who wouldn't if they had never had it befor?

Also, Jon was not absolutely perfect at sex either, Ygritte had to tell him what to do.

And this is only one of your more ridiculous points against Jon. So to answer your question, NEVER. I have read Jon's POV chapters more than any other character. I have probably listened to his chapters from my audiobooks more than fifteen times, and they never get old.

Jon hate is just clear misandry.

Perhaps, but I have yet to hear posters wish en masse that Jon be sexually assaulted as punishment.

And I have yet to see the day when such wishes (for Jon being raped) are so frequent, widespread, and posted in meticulous detail, the mod's specifically have to ban them. When such a day come's, though, I will happily argree with you with you that Jon hatred contains an element of misandry.

Perhaps, but I have yet to hear posters wish en masse that he'd be sexually assaulted as punishment. And I have yet to see the day when such wishes are so frequent, widespread, and posted in meticulous detail, the mod's specifically have to ban them.

P.S.-- It's also not any Jon hate; it's Jon... indifference? Jon boredom, I'd say.

Ah, so he's not even worth your displeasure? You view men so lowly that you can't even be bothered to care about them enough to dislike them?

Disgusting, I say!

His chapters in AGoT were good. I liked the introduction to The Wall. The Battle of the Wall chapters were his best, IMO. Great use of suspense on GRRM's part. Especially the beginning when they hadn't broke through yet. You can almost feel the arrows whizzing by your head. I loved Jon's ingenuity in those moments and how he defended the Wall with what little resources he had.

I found his time with the wildings to be boring. I couldn't stand Ygritte and I just find the wildings to be boring, by and large. I couldn't wait for him to ditch them and go back to the Night's Watch. I was cheering when he finally turned cloak on them and fled.

I also didn't like the majority of his chapters in ADwD except for his interactions with Melisandre. This is more Selyse than Jon though. I just can't stand Selyse. What a simpering, annoying character. No wonder why Stannis doesn't want to be more than two seconds with that woman.

Archived