[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Larry's reviews at OtakuAssemble.

Arkash

I dont know how many of you follow Larry, but I really enjoy his reviews after each episode!

He gives us really great inside thoughts of how a non-book reader perceive the story and has a genuine passion and commitment to the show!

I do not agree with him at all on his Sansa's hatred, but on the rest, I really enjoy his reviews...

Here's a link to the one he did for "Garden of Bones" (last episode to date):

I watched a few of his reviews for season 1 and am watching his season 2 reviews as they come and I actually like them a lot because, as also said above, I am interested in his reactions as a fan who has not read the books. I was especially amused when

:D

Despite understanding his reasons, I too think he is a bit harsh on Sansa. But I am probably like that where Catelyn is concerned so I can't really blame him :P

Well, the character I enjoy less is Brienne but I dont hate her, just feel bored during most of her chapters in Feast...

Yeah, for me, watching his reviews are part of my tradition after an episode: Thronecast, Elio and Linda's review, Larry and "Watching the Throne".

Really curious to see how he will react to the news from the Stony Shore tommorow, or, well... Renly's scene !

I love this guy. I think he's hilarious. It is cool to see how a non-reader perceives things and assumes things too. And I share his hatred of Sansa. In truth, the only time I felt anything but contempt for her was when Joff was being a douche to her. But ya, love the guy.

His latest review contains an amusing/interesting/[insert term] rant about Sansa as a character due to getting a bunch of complaints about what he said about her in his reviews.

*edit* and another aggressive moment reacting to someone who called him a sexist later.

Well... I find his point of view interesting because I'm seldom agree with him... like him saying: Sansa could sacrifice herself... come on, man, let us be realistic, she's not a martyr, who would have the guts to do it ? Just think about it...

Or "Stannis could have affronted Renly on the battlefield"... again, that is stupid, Stannis would have been crushed in a moment, no matter what a general he is...

Damn, I'm watching him, and that is already 4 minutes on Sansa and she doesnt even appear in the episode... wow... please, Larry, skip this...

Well I can't blame him to be honest , there were a lot of people sending hate comments for no reason and he is right in some aspects of Sansa's character at least in this point of the series . Also Larry is more awesome than all of you .

I love this guy. I think he's hilarious. It is cool to see how a non-reader perceives things and assumes things too. And I share his hatred of Sansa. In truth, the only time I felt anything but contempt for her was when Joff was being a douche to her. But ya, love the guy.

Well, I am glad that people can come together and rejoice in the abuse of a 13 year old girl. :ack:

Well... I find his point of view interesting because I'm seldom agree with him... like him saying: Sansa could sacrifice herself... come on, man, let us be realistic, she's not a martyr, who would have the guts to do it ? Just think about it...

Or "Stannis could have affronted Renly on the battlefield"... again, that is stupid, Stannis would have been crushed in a moment, no matter what a general he is...

I actually loved Larry's reviews and, for a non-book reader, thought they were spot on generally...up until last night's Episode 5 review.

I gotta admit, he almost lost me as a fan and I will tell you why.

1) Stannis should have confronted Renly on the battlefield? As you said, he would have been utterly crushed. Now, in Larry's defense, I think he was speaking about Stannis himself killing Renly, in the battle. Who is to say Renly would even have been in the midst of the battle or that Stannis would have been able to find him if he was? I don't think Mr Otaku Assemble understands just how outnumbered Stannis was....that was a terrible idea.

2) He spent almost 10 fucking minutes of the review ranting about Sansa. You know what, he makes some decent points about her, one or two anyways. But he also fails in the end and spends more than a third of his review repeating the same shit over and over. I can understand someone not finding Sansa's storyline interesting to this point, or even not liking her personality (we haven't seen much of her redeeming personality traits quite yet in the show). And sure, the show is doing an AWFUL job with Sansa compared to the books. But...expecting a 13 year old girl to have the courage to "martyr herself" as a "Sacrificial lamb?" What. The. Fuck? Honestly, when Larry said he has no sympathy for "victims" and people who "just survive" I was in disbelief waiting for him to tell me what all these actions Sansa could take are, and when he dropped this sacrificial lamb bullshit I laughed my ass off.

Just, a huge fail by Larry.

Like I said, I watch his reviews every week because they are amusing, but this one just made me mad. His Sansa points are so easy to counter it's pathetic. And I'm not even a huge fan of the character myself, although I did start to like her a lot in A Storm of Swords.

Yes, I know I just ranted myself, but at least I make sense. 13 year old girl should martyr herself for the realm. LOL Mr Williams, if by the tiny chance ever comes by that you read this, please- if you're going to do YouTube reviews for a show and analyze characters, try to use a little bit of perspective and appreciate the absolutely horrific situation Sansa finds herself in. The funny part is Arya is the same thing, a "victim that is just surviving."

I actually loved Larry's reviews and, for a non-book reader, thought they were spot on generally...up until last night's Episode 5 review.

I gotta admit, he almost lost me as a fan and I will tell you why.

1) Stannis should have confronted Renly on the battlefield? As you said, he would have been utterly crushed. Now, in Larry's defense, I think he was speaking about Stannis himself killing Renly, in the battle. Who is to say Renly would even have been in the midst of the battle or that Stannis would have been able to find him if he was? I don't think Mr Otaku Assemble understands just how outnumbered Stannis was....that was a terrible idea.

2) He spent almost 10 fucking minutes of the review ranting about Sansa. You know what, he makes some decent points about her, one or two anyways. But he also fails in the end and spends more than a third of his review repeating the same shit over and over. I can understand someone not finding Sansa's storyline interesting to this point, or even not liking her personality (we haven't seen much of her redeeming personality traits quite yet in the show). And sure, the show is doing an AWFUL job with Sansa compared to the books. But...expecting a 13 year old girl to have the courage to "martyr herself" as a "Sacrificial lamb?" What. The. Fuck? Honestly, when Larry said he has no sympathy for "victims" and people who "just survive" I was in disbelief waiting for him to tell me what all these actions Sansa could take are, and when he dropped this sacrificial lamb bullshit I laughed my ass off.

Just, a huge fail by Larry.

Like I said, I watch his reviews every week because they are amusing, but this one just made me mad. His Sansa points are so easy to counter it's pathetic. And I'm not even a huge fan of the character myself, although I did start to like her a lot in A Storm of Swords.

Yes, I know I just ranted myself, but at least I make sense. 13 year old girl should martyr herself for the realm. LOL Mr Williams, if by the tiny chance ever comes by that you read this, please- if you're going to do YouTube reviews for a show and analyze characters, try to use a little bit of perspective and appreciate the absolutely horrific situation Sansa finds herself in. The funny part is Arya is the same thing, a "victim that is just surviving."

Yeah, I agree with most of this. I enjoy Larry's reviews because of his enthusiasm and his non-book reader perspective, but maybe he could have said his peace on the whole Sansa situation a little... less harshly? Now, Sansa has always been my least favorite character (she still is to this day), and I used to dread reading her POVs, but even I was able to recognize that she was in a pretty messed up predicament.

But..

I can sort of understand what Larry is talking about. Sansa is just too naive for her own good, and too easily manipulated by the people around her. Back in Season 1/Book 1, she was completely behind the whole "Marry Joffrey" plan, and was practically falling over herself to be beside him, when she should have been smarter about it. Arya, on the other hand, who is YOUNGER THAN HER, knew Joffrey was foul and no-good right from the beginning, When the Mycah/Nymeria incident popped off, that should have been Sansa's first sign as to Joffrey's true nature as HE was the one to instigate to whole thing. AND to add insult to injury, she didn't even try to stick up for her own little sister in front of the adults, and in the process, got her own direwolf KILLED! If she was smarter, less insecure and not so blindly in love, what she should have done after the direwolf incident was tell Joffrey, Hey, buddy. I like you and all, and I know we're supposed to get married in the future, but if you mess with my sister again or any other members of my family, you and me are gonna have an issue. You got that? But noooo, she decided to side with someone she barely even knew, over her own family.

I realize it's supposed to be a part of Sansa's character development, going from a naive girl who dreams of knights in shining armor, to a young woman who is more aware of the realities of life, but during this early point in the story, my opinions somewhat matched Larry's. I was like, Screw Sansa! She's an idiot! Whatever happens to her now is her own damn fault! Now, with the whole "Ned Stark=traitor" situation, I understand Sansa couldn't do much to get herself out of that one. By that point she was in too deep, Cersei played her like a fiddle, and for all intents and purposes, she was promised that her father's life would be spared. She had NO idea that Joffrey was gonna go and change the game at the last minute and call for Ned's head. Now, she's stuck in this situation with no way out. Contrary to Larry's suggestion, becoming a martyr in order to rid the world of a great evil doesn't always work in your favor. If Sansa would have, figuratively "threw herself on the sword", and killed Joffrey for the greater good, Cersei would still be around, and would have ruled the Seven Kingdoms through one of Joffrey's younger siblings, and the entire sacrifice would have been a lost cause. Arguably, Cersei isn't that much better than Joffrey, so nothing would really change much, except instead of the sadistic psychopath being on the throne, the psychopath's MOTHER would be pulling the strings of one of her other children. So yeah, Larry didn't exactly think this one through enough, but I bear him no ill will and I'm still gonna listen to his reviews.

Like I said, I watch his reviews every week because they are amusing, but this one just made me mad. His Sansa points are so easy to counter it's pathetic

That's exactly what I feel too.

Yeah, I agree with most of this. I enjoy Larry's reviews because of his enthusiasm and his non-book reader perspective, but maybe he could have said his peace on the whole Sansa situation a little... less harshly? Now, Sansa has always been my least favorite character (she still is to this day), and I used to dread reading her POVs, but even I was able to recognize that she was in a pretty messed up predicament.

But..

I can sort of understand what Larry is talking about. Sansa is just too naive for her own good, and too easily manipulated by the people around her. Back in Season 1/Book 1, she was completely behind the whole "Marry Joffrey" plan, and was practically falling over herself to be beside him, when she should have been smarter about it. Arya, on the other hand, who is YOUNGER THAN HER, knew Joffrey was foul and no-good right from the beginning, When the Mycah/Nymeria incident popped off, that should have been Sansa's first sign as to Joffrey's true nature as HE was the one to instigate to whole thing. AND to add insult to injury, she didn't even try to stick up for her own little sister in front of the adults, and in the process, got her own direwolf KILLED! If she was smarter, less insecure and not so blindly in love, what she should have done after the direwolf incident was tell Joffrey, Hey, buddy. I like you and all, and I know we're supposed to get married in the future, but if you mess with my sister again or any other members of my family, you and me are gonna have an issue. You got that? But noooo, she decided to side with someone she barely even knew, over her own family.

I realize it's supposed to be a part of Sansa's character development, going from a naive girl who dreams of knights in shining armor, to a young woman who is more aware of the realities of life, but during this early point in the story, my opinions somewhat matched Larry's. I was like, Screw Sansa! She's an idiot! Whatever happens to her now is her own damn fault! Now, with the whole "Ned Stark=traitor" situation, I understand Sansa couldn't do much to get herself out of that one. By that point she was in too deep, Cersei played her like a fiddle, and for all intents and purposes, she was promised that her father's life would be spared. She had NO idea that Joffrey was gonna go and change the game at the last minute and call for Ned's head. Now, she's stuck in this situation with no way out. Contrary to Larry's suggestion, becoming a martyr in order to rid the world of a great evil doesn't always work in your favor. If Sansa would have, figuratively "threw herself on the sword", and killed Joffrey for the greater good, Cersei would still be around, and would have ruled the Seven Kingdoms through one of Joffrey's younger siblings, and the entire sacrifice would have been a lost cause. Arguably, Cersei isn't that much better than Joffrey, so nothing would really change much, except instead of the sadistic psychopath being on the throne, the psychopath's MOTHER would be pulling the strings of one of her other children. So yeah, Larry didn't exactly think this one through enough, but I bear him no ill will and I'm still gonna listen to his reviews.

Not even to mention the fact that expecting Sansa to have the guts to do such a thing is almost as preposterous as expecting her to actually succeed in murdering the king.

Either Larry didn't think that one through very well, or he's just not nearly as smart as I originally thought.

I wish people would call him out en masse on it, but let's be real, he's just some tool who puts up YouTube videos for amusement. Not really worth the time of day. He did kind of push my buttons though with his ignorance.

Not even to mention the fact that expecting Sansa to have the guts to do such a thing is almost as preposterous as expecting her to actually succeed in murdering the king.

Either Larry didn't think that one through very well, or he's just not nearly as smart as I originally thought.

I wish people would call him out en masse on it, but let's be real, he's just some tool who puts up YouTube videos for amusement. Not really worth the time of day. He did kind of push my buttons though with his ignorance.

Yeah. I kind of have a feeling that Larry just made matters worse, by adressing the Sansa thing in one of his review videos, rather than dealing with it on Facebook or something.

If he does it again I shall definitly stop watching him... I manage in respecting his opinion for now on, but if, again, he goes all "fuck you" and again spends 15 minutes on a vain and useless rant, it will make me angry too.

Maybe a rant isn´t the best way to adress the matter, but I got the feeling that he had been slammed pretty hard with negative comments and that´s the reason he was angry. We all know how some people are pretty quick to throw some nasty stuff in the direction of anyone who dislikes Sansa. I´ve seen plenty of posters on these forums who´ve stated that other posters were potential rapists, pedophiles and what not for disliking Sansa and if Larry got hit with that kind of abuse, I don´t blame him for being upset.

Archived