Jon Snow is Aegon Targaryan?

Rayhar

There is of course the enticing possibility that Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. 'Promise'...she whispered to Ned... might it have been the promise to pretend Jon was his, to save him from certain persecution from Robert Baratheon, who we know harboured an almost pathological hatred for House Targaryen? If Lyanna and Rhaegar wed, quite possible since the Targaryens practiced polygamy: Aegon and his sisters, that would make Jon Snow, not a Stark bastard, but a trueborn Targaryen...

Welcome to the board. Check out R+L=J number whatever, your theory is an accpted fact here, by and large :cool4:

Jon Snow is Ned's and Lyanna's offspring, hence the Stark look, it is known.

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, I think that this is very highly unlikely. I would also warn you that Ned or Benjen + Lyanna theories are likely to get a very bad reception on the forums.

Stark incest threads are being frequently mentioned on this thread about topics that people are sick of:

I don get one thing... how can jon inherit the black hair from Lyanna but Aegon not from Princess Elia but his sister... Isn't silver blond a recessive trait...!!!

Don't try to make sense of GRRM's genetics. There's no way that the Baratheon black hair can be ironclad 100% of the time, either, but it is. People look the way they do because it serves the plot.

I don get one thing... how can jon inherit the black hair from Lyanna but Aegon not from Princess Elia but his sister... Isn't silver blond a recessive trait...!!!

Don't try to make sense of GRRM's genetics. There's no way that the Baratheon black hair can be ironclad 100% of the time, either, but it is. People look the way they do because it serves the plot.

Yeah, this is pretty much the way of things. :) Apple Martini is right again- (FYI LucifeLMartelL, she usually is!)

For what it's worth though- it could be ironclad if they all died their hair... it's so important to them you could see why they might. :uhoh:

Not quite so about genetics. If the Baratheons carried say 4 or 5 dominant genes for Dark (on different chromosomes) then it would be 99% likely that most of their offspring for quite a few generations would be dark - especially in the middle ages when marrying of cousins was more common so double doses of genes is more likely.

Now it seems as if Tully genes dominate over Stark ones but perhaps with a little less certainty- Arya looks Stark.

I suspect that this WILL be important to the story - otherwise why mention it.

maybe Rhaegar and Lyanna had a baby (Jon) but Rhaegar brought him back to the castle and said it was Aegon Targaryen and that Elia had the baby so he could raise the child legitimately. Since Elia couldnt have another kid, she was okay with it. But then she did have a baby (Aegon), miraculously, and Rhaegar gave that baby(Aegon) to Lyanna to be fair since she had had to give up her baby (Jon). So baby Aegon (Jon) was raised at King's Landing while the younger Jon (Aegon) lived at the Tower of Joy with Lyanna, until Aegon (Jon) was switched by Varys with a peasant baby (peasant baby) that was killed by Gregor, and sent across the sea with Jon Connington. But Varys thought that Aegon (Jon) was actually Aegon (Aegon) which is a mistake, and Lyanna told Ned that her baby (Jon) was at King's Landing pretending to be the legitimate Aegon, and she had the actual legitimate baby (Aegon) which she entrusted to Ned. She named him Jon so that if Ned ever met Jon Connington everything would click together that the "Aegon" with Jon Connington was actually her illegitimate child by Rhaegar Targaryen.

In this way Jon Snow would be Aegon Targaryen and Aegon Targaryen would be Jon Snow.

Now it seems as if Tully genes dominate over Stark ones but perhaps with a little less certainty- Arya looks Stark.

I suspect that this WILL be important to the story - otherwise why mention it.

Well many think that Arya looking like a Stark, and Lyanna was a clue to show that Jon was Lyanna son.

Regarding genetics, Robert has 17 children, some of them with blonde mothers. He also carries recessive genes from his Targayen grandmother (which means that any of his bastards could have the Valyrian look). Since it is known that Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen aren't his, we can discount them in an analysis of Robert's genetics.

But take a look at his 4 known bastards:

Gendry is strongly built, black haired and has blue eyes. This is the classic Baratheon look. Brienne notes how much he looks like a more muscular Renly (basically, a young Robert). His mother was golden-haired.

Edric Storm is black-haired, strongly built and has Florent big ears. Since he is Robert's acknowledged bastard with a Florent woman, not much discussion there.

Mya Stone is strong and black-haired. She has a certain bravado to her, which is what I imagine a female Robert would behave like.

Barra the Babe was born of a blonde whore and is black-haired.

I find it astounding that none of Robert's bastards has Valyrian features. Robert does have the blood of old Valyria.

If it weren't so far-fetched, I might even posit that Aurane Waters and Aegon VI are Robert's bastards. This would actually solidify Aegon's claim to the throne.

The line of succession as it stands:

Robert - dead

Stannis - Kinslayer and kingslayer, ineligible. There's also the whole Red God thing which makes him ineligible in the eyes of the Faith.

Shireen - Trueborn heir of Robert Baratheon, unless she gets all Rh'llor

Renly - Dead

Eldest male bastard - This is probably Gendry, unless I'm right about Aurane or Aegon.

Edric Storm - (I'll assume all the other bastards were killed on Cersei's orders)

Mya Stone.

maybe Rhaegar and Lyanna had a baby (Jon) but Rhaegar brought him back to the castle and said it was Aegon Targaryen and that Elia had the baby so he could raise the child legitimately. Since Elia couldnt have another kid, she was okay with it. But then she did have a baby (Aegon), miraculously, and Rhaegar gave that baby(Aegon) to Lyanna to be fair since she had had to give up her baby (Jon). So baby Aegon (Jon) was raised at King's Landing while the younger Jon (Aegon) lived at the Tower of Joy with Lyanna, until Aegon (Jon) was switched by Varys with a peasant baby (peasant baby) that was killed by Gregor, and sent across the sea with Jon Connington. But Varys thought that Aegon (Jon) was actually Aegon (Aegon) which is a mistake, and Lyanna told Ned that her baby (Jon) was at King's Landing pretending to be the legitimate Aegon, and she had the actual legitimate baby (Aegon) which she entrusted to Ned. She named him Jon so that if Ned ever met Jon Connington everything would click together that the "Aegon" with Jon Connington was actually her illegitimate child by Rhaegar Targaryen.

In this way Jon Snow would be Aegon Targaryen and Aegon Targaryen would be Jon Snow.

This is into soap opera territory and way overcomplicates things. Also, if Jon is really Aegon (Rhaegar and Elia's son), why does he look like a Stark?

This is into soap opera territory and way overcomplicates things. Also, if Jon is really Aegon (Rhaegar and Elia's son), why does he look like a Stark?

People see what they wanna see my friend. He actually looks like a Martell (dark hair) and his lean Rhaegar-esque features look deceptively Stark-like.

People see what they wanna see my friend. He actually looks like a Martell (dark hair) and his lean Rhaegar-esque features look deceptively Stark-like.

The Martells have black hair and olive skin (they're salty Dornishmen with lots of Rhoynar in their ancestry). Even Catelyn thinks that Jon looks more like Ned than any of her sons, and she certainly does not want to see him that way.

So, young Aegon Targaryen, two to three year old child, looks of an age with Robb Stark, toddler of a few months, and no one notices?

Furthermore, Rhaenys looked a Martell, but Aegon got the Targ looks.

The Martells have black hair and olive skin (they're salty Dornishmen with lots of Rhoynar in their ancestry). Even Catelyn thinks that Jon looks more like Ned than any of her sons, and she certainly does not want to see him that way.

By GRRM's punnet square techniques we see Dark hair is dominant over light hair (case with Roberts bastards). The Martell's are also darker because they spend more time in the sun and are tanned. So Jon (Aegon) has Rhaegar's light skin but Elia's Dark Hair, making him look like a light-skinned dark-haired Stark.

So, young Aegon Targaryen, two to three year old child, looks of an age with Robb Stark, toddler of a few months, and no one notices?

Furthermore, Rhaenys looked a Martell, but Aegon got the Targ looks.

Everyone THOUGHT Aegon got the Targ looks, but as we can see that all the Martell/Targaryen children (Real Aegon [Jon] and Rhaenys) got the Martell looks, it is clear that the baby everyone thought got the "Targ" looks was really Jon (Rhaegar and Lyanna's baby.) That's why he looked so much different from his sister, and defied the hair color rule as no one else in the series has done--because he has a different mom, Lyanna!

Aegon (Jon) is actually the same age as Jon (Aegon), since he comes into the book after the 2-3 year jump in tv character's ages.

Archived