Jon Snow is Aegon Targaryan?

Rayhar

Not quite so about genetics. If the Baratheons carried say 4 or 5 dominant genes for Dark (on different chromosomes) then it would be 99% likely that most of their offspring for quite a few generations would be dark - especially in the middle ages when marrying of cousins was more common so double doses of genes is more likely.

Now it seems as if Tully genes dominate over Stark ones but perhaps with a little less certainty- Arya looks Stark.

I suspect that this WILL be important to the story - otherwise why mention it.

Hey all. I'm definitely new. I've read and followed the forums for a while now.

I agree, Arya's look is definitely important. She looks and behaves just like Lyanna.

"lightbringer333, on 18 September 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

it may be possible. but some other way. i think when rhaegar targaryen got news that his son aegon murdered during the sack of kingslanding he named his other child from lyanna as aegon. or may be his mother named him as aegon when rhaegar was away to fight. coz rheagar might had shared his prophecy with her that only aegon will retake the seven kingdoms. and only ned stark changed his name to jon coz he didnt want robert to know coz aegon was targaryens name."

What if Lyanna had twins?

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad someone finally brings up this whole genetics issue. A lot of things just don't make sense to me. When Aegon first showed up I immediately thought that he was fake. How could a son of Rhaegar and Elia be silvery-blond and purple eyed? Of course he would be dark! Assuming genetics work the way they do in our world Elia's dark genes would be dominant. Or is there a blond Martell mentioned anywhere? For days after finishing the series I was completely convinced that Aegon was fake because he had no dark hair and eyes. I would read all the forum entries on the fAegon theories and think to myself OF COURSE he's fake, he can't possibly be Elia Martell's son! (yes, with a very smug grin on my face). Until I read somewhere (I think it was on his wiki page) that baby Aegon had the Targaryen coloring and that only his sister Rhaenys shares the Martell features. I'm actually really bothered by this. We know genetics are a fact in the world of Westeros (this whole "the seed is strong" thing with Robert's bastards). Why then suddenly this completely random deviation of how genetics work? Are we to assume that the Targayen genes are so special that they can be dominant even though blond hair is recessive? Then why is Rhaenys not blond too? (I am aware that the hair color is not really blond but silver but it's easier to just write blond than silver-haired all the time. You know what I mean). The only sensible explanation would be that he is not Elia's son at all? That he is Rhaegar's son with a women with much fairer features than Elia? Possibly Ashara Dayne who was one of Elia's companions in King's Landing? I know she also has dark hair but the Daynes in general are much lighter skinned etc. than the Martell's. She even has the purple eyes.. would this make sense? Perhaps Elia (who is described as frail and sickly in the books) could not have more children after Rhaenys was born and so she, Rhaegar and Ashara decided that Ashara would have the baby but then pass it off as Elia's? I do realize that it seems incredibly far-fetched I'm just desperately trying to find an explanation of (baby and adult) Aegon's hair- and eye color.

I just also realized that if we assume that L+R=J, then that is another indication that the Targaryen genes are not so special that they can be dominant when they should be recessive as Jon has dark hair and (rather) dark eyes. Clearly Lyanna's genes "won" here (as they should).

Also, I do realize that even if Aegon is not Elia's son he is still Rhaegar's son and a Targaryen and thus not a complete fake. He is just not 100% what people assume him to be - and never was.

Okay, I should have read the whole thread first. Apparently we are to assume that the Martells have Targaryen genes just like the Targaryens also have Martell genes. So that the Targaryen features are also "hiding" somewhere in Elia's DNA. Personally, I am not convinced by this…

I'm almost certain that there's a critical connection between Aegon and Jon, but I don't think they're the same person. I rather like to think that Jon Snow possesses certain personal traits that, should we say, compliments or polarizes - if not surpasses - Aegon's. And that this is "for the good of the realm". I think we may yet be surprised, perhaps disappointingly so, to learn the true fate of Aegon and the Pisswater Prince. And then we'll learn something else about someone else, that renews our hopes for the future. :)

After all, we are talking about a song of Ice and Fire, are we not? And as every other song before and after, it eventually comes to an end. I think that neither Melisandre nor the Others are particularly good or evil, they're just "driven" in opposite directions. But what matters is what stands in the middle to separate them.

Archived