32 replies to this topic

#1 BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

The actress playing her is tall but how on earth did they made her so big?

She is a pretty badass fighter too. I was pretty shocked how realistic they made it.

#2 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

I think she´s about 191 cm (6,3), add some muscles, some extra padding perhaps, some plate armor and you have one really big actress

#3 Envie

Envie

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

Yes, she's massive. And so far we've seen her next to smaller actors like Catelyn and even Renly, who isn't a big guy - so she looks even larger. Plus with her armor, she's quite intimidating looking.

#4 Raylan Stark

Raylan Stark

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

I remember some of us worried that she was too thin (and pretty) when her name first started circulating as a possibility for Brienne. Yes she was tall. VERY tall. But she was lean.

What she went through to prepare for the role is amazing. And she has nailed it. Brienne tonight was astonishing. Her cry of anguish at Renly's death gave me chills. Her awkward formality with Cat made me smile.

Edited by Raylan Stark, 30 April 2012 - 04:26 AM.

#5 Hour of the Wolf

Hour of the Wolf

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

I really didn't like her reaction to Renly's death. It didn't feel genuine at all. Then, when she gives her service to Catelyn, it didn't seem believable with her hatred towards Stannis. I don't think she has Brienne's personality right at all. The fight scene in the tent was impressive though.

#6 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LIBRARIAN

• Members
  • 11,824 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

I think she is doing a great job - it isn't just about her size, watching her walk in the first episode we see her near Catelyn - she doesn't even come close to walking like "a lady".

I think she nailed the scene in the tent - my take is that she has never been able to deal with emotions well and this is the first time she has really been able to show them. Unfortunately for her, it happens to be to a dead man she loved.

I like that she is ungainly not only in how she moves (outside of fighting), but also how she deals with others, especially Catelyn.

#7 WinterWarrior

WinterWarrior

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

Gwendolyn Christie is doing an excellent job with the Brienne character, she has totally nailed it and Brienne is exactly how I pictured her when I read the books. Her anguish when Renley was killed really had an impact on me and I just love this character. Her honor, naivete and tendency to be stubborn and fiercely loyal is coming through 100% in the way Christie plays Brienne. Probably one of the best casting jobs in the whole series.

I can't wait to see more and more of her throughout the years.....

Edited by WinterWarrior, 30 April 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#8 Carne

Carne

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

She comes off as more confident than I remember her from the book.

Especially when Renly let's her join the Rainbow guard. Maybe I don't remember correctly, but wasn't she really nervous?

#9 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

In interviews she said she has spent months doing weight training for the role to make her physical appearance more Brienne-like. It's apparent not only from that, but especially from her performance, that she has dedicated herself 100% to bringing Brienne to life on screen. Color me quite impressed by the fight sequence in particular, that couldn't have been easy for her to pull off.

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum, 30 April 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#10 whiteraven77

whiteraven77

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Brienne is one of my favorite characters from the book and I have to admit that I didn't really like her at first on the show. However, once I watched her first episode again I started to warm up to her and last night I thought she was perfect. I had chills when she pledged fealty to Catelyn.

#11 DrogonEatsYou

DrogonEatsYou

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

IMO, Gwendolyn Christie playing Brienne has been brilliant so far. When reading the books I pictured her this way, just this massive figure that could stand against any man that came her way. I especially like her battle scenes, like in the tent where she took out those two gaurds, driving the sword in the back of the neck from behind.... eww, that made me cringe, but just re-emphasized more for me what a bad@ss she is!

Edited by DrogonEatsYou, 30 April 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#12 Ser Giant

Ser Giant

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I love the character of Brienne, my favorite adult female in the entire story. Everything the actor has done with the character so far has my complete approval, really glad we were able to get someone so dedicated.

That fight scene was absolutely brutal and perfect!

#13 Katydid

Katydid

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

If those few brief seconds of her kicking all levels of ass in Renly's tent are any indication of what Gwen learned in terms of how Brienne will handle a sword, then Bri's fight with Jaime at the creekside should be epic!

#14 teemo

teemo

the swift scout

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

She's a great actress. I love how seriously she took this role. She is also really "awkward," like she never feels quite comfortable in her skin, and that's so Brienne. She's nailed it.

#15 Husband to Bears

Husband to Bears

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Brienne is wonderfully cast, and I am really glad that Nikolaj is also listed at 6'2".

Was having Renly's guard wear actual Rainbow cloaks too blatant after seeing Renly and Loras' sex scenes? The cloaks were always a nice hint into Renley's sexuality but probably a little to corny to see in the series.

Edited by Husband to Bears, 30 April 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#16 Rob Snow

Rob Snow

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Peter Dinklage aside, Gwendolyn Christie's portrayal of Briene, has been the best thing about Season 2.

#17 Jamie Lannister

Jamie Lannister

The Lion of Lannister

• Members
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

She's brilliant as Brienne. Can't wait to see more of her.

#18 Fredwin

Fredwin

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

I don't think Brienne could possibly be portrayed better than this. She's been absolutely perfect so far. I think the people that felt the acting was off are just being distracted by the breakneck pace of the show. Her cry of anguish seemed pretty emotionally intense to me. Not sure how you could ask for more.

#19 ghost the direwolf

ghost the direwolf

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Love her and that fight scene was brilliant, boy she is tall.well done Gwen!

#20 Anvilbreaker

Anvilbreaker

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

It annoyed me that they had her kill the guards in renly's tent. later on in the book they make it clear when her first kills are