[Book Spoiler] So happy to hear the House of the Undying mentioned

If they had intended to cut the House of the Undying, they would have cut Qarth altogether. The House of the Undying is the main (and one might say only important) plot point in the whole Qarth plot, so I would have been really surprised if they had included Qarth but cut the House of the Undying.

About the visions:

They could cut Aerys and Rossart, and even corpse-king Robb, but they have to include in my opinion the following scenes:

1. Rhaegar, Elia, and Aegon - the stuff about the promised prince and the Song of Ice and Fire (I'm confident about that, since Melisandre already mentioned the 'place of smoke and salt').

2. The blue winter rose growing at the Wall (or a similar hint pointing towards Jon Snow)

3. The King without a shadow (Stannis) and the cloth dragon on pole (Aegon) as false saviors.

4. The Mother-thing and other hints about Dany's future (the fires, the treasons, and the mounts) should at least be mentioned by the Undying if it's not shown directly, since this might become important. The same about 'the stone beast breathing shadow fire'.

I agree with Lord Varys. These are critical visions to show with the HoTU. And the dragons do need to get bigger before she goes there. But the HoTU and Selmy are the two important events/happenings in Qarth. Xaro is important but not as important as HoTU and Selmy.

They could actually take out the visions entirely and simply have them described while talking to the Undying as well. Simply before they start talking about the 3's they could simply describe the other prophecies. That would accomplish everything without really making a critical turn from the book. It doesn't really matter that Dany has to turn right every time or go up or even that she actually sees everything herself, just that she understands the prophecies. They could even add in her commenting as they are being described, "I see a house with a red door." "That is the house that my brother and I grew up in." etc. and then when they describe things she doesn't understand they could just leave her confused and questioning which is the whole point. As the show continued on later they could have Dany referring back to the prophecies in conversation when she thinks she understands a new part o them as well.

I really don't think there is much need for a special effects bonanza, it actually would detract from the story.

Archived