The Unkown city of the others..

himalyanjon

I have already posted a topic about this..

here's GRRM

"Of course, Iceland is relatively small. Beyond the Wall is considerably larger than Iceland—probably larger than Greenland. And the area closest to my Wall is densely forested, so in that sense it's more like Canada—Hudson's Bay or the Canadian forests just north of Michigan. And then as you get further and further north, it changes. You get into tundra and ice fields and it becomes more of an arctic environment. You have plains on one side and a very high range of mountains on the other. Of course, once again this is fantasy, so my mountains are more like the Himalayas. But, you can always play with these things in fantasy.

And what lies really north in my books—we haven't explored that yet, but we will in the last two books."

Now a large territory such a large area almost size of canada or china and no city. till now we have seen only south parts of the land of always winter what about the rest can there be ahidden city there in tundra planes george mentions above or the himalyan like mountains just like lhasa....

I guess it's possible. I don't think the lack of a city way up there is anything curious, though. We don't have a metropolis at the North Pole, either. ;) It's not so much a matter of size (look how huge Siberia is, but how thinly populated), but about living conditions and the climate.

but others can survive the cold but than they would have to be social beings not just zombies and george has been telling us or implying in his various interviews if any one has read the shiva triology it would be just like panchavati

It'll be some kind of hibernation nest of the Others. Jon Snow will scale down into it and blow it up with an atomic bomb like Armageddon or Independence Day when loads of them are still sleeping down there.

^^

the answer to all the mysteries i agree.

It'll be some kind of hibernation nest of the Others. Jon Snow will scale down into it and blow it up with an atomic bomb like Armageddon or Independence Day when loads of them are still sleeping down there.

You held the Wall against wildlings.

You survived your own assassination.

You nuked the Others' stronghold.

Now ... it's Miller time.

Z'ha'dum

but others can survive the cold but than they would have to be social beings not just zombies and george has been telling us or implying in his various interviews if any one has read the shiva triology it would be just like panchavati

I thought it was pretty clear from the first prologue of the first book (still probably one of the most reliable first-hand observations of others, along with the time around the attack on the Fist) that the others are social beings. They attacked the rangers in a very calculated way. They went in as a group and they all stood around while one toyed with Royce, while the others actually LAUGHED at the spectacle! They were speaking their own language as well. Once they had their fun, they all closed in for the kill together. They are clearly not just mindless zombies. They can of course make them, in the form of weights, but the others definitely have some kind of sentience, we just have not seen enough of them to know to what degree. I don't see it being so unlikely that they have some kind of organization, and this could mean they have some kind of "city" that functions as their headquarters. If there actually is a "Great Other", he may be there calling the shots.

Anyone know anything about this Shiva trilogy?

I thought it was pretty clear from the first prologue of the first book (still probably one of the most reliable first-hand observations of others, along with the time around the attack on the Fist) that the others are social beings. They attacked the rangers in a very calculated way. They went in as a group and they all stood around while one toyed with Royce, while the others actually LAUGHED at the spectacle! They were speaking their own language as well. Once they had their fun, they all closed in for the kill together. They are clearly not just mindless zombies. They can of course make them, in the form of weights, but the others definitely have some kind of sentience, we just have not seen enough of them to know to what degree. I don't see it being so unlikely that they have some kind of organization, and this could mean they have some kind of "city" that functions as their headquarters. If there actually is a "Great Other", he may be there calling the shots.

Anyone know anything about this Shiva trilogy?

In shiva triology part1 (immortals of meluha) the supposed villians the nagas live south and later in the second book it is known there is a city secretly built by them called panchavati and i think we might see a city (socitey???) of others here and this quote by GRRM reminded me of the probability in this case.

• 4 weeks later...
can there be ahidden city there in tundra planes

No. No way something mediaval can find the resources to build and maintain a city of considerable proportions in the tundra, let alone the arctic deserts of snow and ice.

That said, GRRM might do an ass-pull and make such a city exist.

I believe there is a city maybe in caves, near of hot springs, The others are probably a sort of non human society, like the CotF, who waits for long winters to attack and conquer new territory, because they are better fighters in the cold and the humans are weak through the cold and less food

I always felt as though the others weren't mindless, just relatively stupid, evil and single minded. Like some kind of ice demons.

Now, I don't know about a city, maybe one without an economy, or law enforcement, or complex social structures. But what is the extent of their intelligence and organisation? That's the question, and one we'll have to wait to find out about. I think some people get a little too carried away about the subject tbh.

At any rate, I think some people are incorrectly looking at the problems of the others having a city in the far far north. The cold wouldn't matter, nor the lack of food and other resources, because you're thinking of things that humans need. The whitewalkers are completely different, their 'city' would not resemble anything to that of a human city, their needs are clearly different. Heck, they can only exist in the extremely cold temperatures. If they are going to have a civilisation, that'll be the place to have it.

I imagine they live in huge underground ice caverns, with hundreds of catacombs and tunnels and whatnot, riding around on friggin' spiders. Or who knows!? They could be spawning out of a magic ice door on the north pole for all we know of the others yet.

No. No way something mediaval can find the resources to build and maintain a city of considerable proportions in the tundra, let alone the arctic deserts of snow and ice.

That said, GRRM might do an ass-pull and make such a city exist.

yeah but others are creatures that live there so they must have a means to create a socitey there.. no?

I believe there is a city maybe in caves, near of hot springs, The others are probably a sort of non human society, like the CotF, who waits for long winters to attack and conquer new territory, because they are better fighters in the cold and the humans are weak through the cold and less food

yeah that is a possibility though i don't think it much of a possibility others don't need any heat the colder the better they may live in caves that are mentioned though.

Archived