[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] TWOP n00bs Thread II

Xray the Enforcer

They're missing something with their analysis of the various fighters, and it's the shows fault - It's really not clear that the Loras vs Gregor joust and the Loras vs Brienne fight were finals, and that they'd both beaten loads of people already.

I agree, it should have been more clear in the show.

Funny thing the comment about Loras maybe being more "badass looking" in the book... since the actor is really well chosen and the book Loras is that kind of guy !

The only place we've heard of that might have soldiers to keep them safe is the home of the new bastard

Hahaha, if you knew what you're saying! =D

One of them (not allowed to say names here) is, as always, amazing in his analysis, I love what he said about Jon !

It seems almost too obvious to me that it would result in Robb pissing off Lord Frey by hooking up with this Lady Talise (sp?). I think what will actually happen is... nothing.

Pure magic this post ! ^^

Really loving the recent talk about assassins. The magical "Smokey Assassin" wasn't very popular and they were hoping for a normal assassin. Now they are happy with Jaqen being a normal assassin. I'm really waiting for their reactions in the coming weeks. :)

They're missing something with their analysis of the various fighters, and it's the shows fault - It's really not clear that the Loras vs Gregor joust and the Loras vs Brienne fight were finals, and that they'd both beaten loads of people already.

Well, Loras vs Gregor was not final.

Loras had to meet Sandor, but he declared him winner since he saved his life.

OMG, when I read this :

I, too, think Tywin will die this season, it will be a tragic death though, since he never wanted this war and seems to be an okay personality.

I can't help telling myself that the show completely ruined the character of Tywin.

I was ok, and even glad, at the beginning with the "well, we'll show Tywin under another perspective" thing, so that we know that it's more complicated than we think.

But this... they've gone too far.

OMG, when I read this :

I can't help telling myself that the show completely ruined the character of Tywin.

I was ok, and even glad, at the beginning with the "well, we'll show Tywin under another perspective" thing, so that we know that it's more complicated than we think.

But this... they've gone too far.

I have to disagree; this was exactly how I interpreted Tywin in the books. I never saw him as the monster most people seem to view him as. I always liked Kevan's description - he was a hard man, but only as hard as he needed to be.

Is he a monster? I think it was Jon Connington in aDWD who talked about this, but I'm not certain. If Tywin had been the Hand during the Battle of the Bells, then he would have set the whole town on fire and killed everybody in it, man, woman, and child, just to get Robert. Also, he freaking told Tyrion that his wife was a prostitute and gave her to his guardsmen and made Tyrion watch. I mean seriously!

He isn't the same type of monster that Jeoffry or Ramsey is. He is a practical man. He doesn't enjoy killing or torturing people, but he would do absolutely anything if it advanced his plans. There is definitely something monstrous about that.

I think the show is doing a great job with Tywin. Yes, he is a monster, but he's not a sadist like Joffrey. He does horrible things because they serve his goals, not because he necessarily likes doing them. Come the Red Wedding, I don't think we have to worry about whether or not anyone will be hating Tywin.

Would you edit this, my friend? Remember, we don't name the Unsullied by name. Thx.

Oops, yeah, edited !

Yeah, I like too that they see Dany becoming a little mad, but we still have some times ahead.

Where I dont agree with them is about Jon. I love his story in Clash and Storms, it saddens me that they find it boring, but I cant wait for their reactions when Qhorin will tell him what he'll have to do.

The Dramatis Personae threads over at TWoP are yet another goldmine of inspired commentary. Even most of the thread titles are clever and amusing. Here's a little bit about Jaqen, in the little scene where Ayra insists he kill Lorch now:

That was the best and quickest bit of acting ever. Who is this guy? Never mind. I don't even care. I love him.

He isn't the same type of monster that Jeoffry or Ramsey is. He is a practical man. He doesn't enjoy killing or torturing people, but he would do absolutely anything if it advanced his plans. There is definitely something monstrous about that.

Right, he's caught up in preserving the Lannister dynasty at all costs. That comes with both good (helping dyslexic Jaime! I loved this new detail) and bad (we know what that is).

I don't think Emilia's acting is that strong. Having watched the Tudors recently it struck me how much Tazmin was a better actor; I still wish we knew why she was dropped. To be fair, having a script where Dany spouts off her titles again doesn't help, so Emilia is working with some awkward material.

I am loving Jon's storyline too, especially the parallels with Theon in this episode.

I like the Unsullied's reaction to the riot: "about time!"

Aha, the wariness and suspicion of Roose begins to set in already--kudos to the producers that they've somehow conveyed (already!) that Bolton is somebody to beware of...I love the last poster's comment--'Color me wary of this shady dude.'

Also after re-watching episode, I noticed Robb's advisor (Lord Bolten?) mentioned his bastard at the DREADFORT? Seriously? How bad-ass of a castle does it have to be to be called the DREADFORT?

Then I remember that he talked about how his family says that a "flayed man has no secrets." Aaaaaah. I can see why it's called the DREADFORT. Why is Robb employing such a shady dude, again?

Employing is exactly the wrong word. Robb is owed Mr. Flayed Man's loyalty, because Mr. Flayed Man is (presumably) a Northman. Robb has probably gotten the oath of fealty from Mr. Creepy -- and unless Mr. Creepy is deemed an oathbreaker, Robb pretty much has to protect Mr. Sinister.

Color me wary of this shady dude. Viewers don't get introduced to his apparent fondness of flaying unless it plays a role somewhere down the road.

And yet more Beware-of-Bolton

It's a race to see who betrays Robb first: Florence Bonesaw (FloBo to you) or the guy with the Dreadfort bastard. Hey, how come his bastard gets a castle and Jon has to take the black? No fair

I adored Jon Snow and his story last season but this season he appears dumber than a box of frozen spitballs, and I'm tired of his stupidity. If he gets killed or turned into WW poppers, that's fine by me now. I've no use for stupid characters in this story.

I do kinda agree that they seemed to have dumbed down Jon up to this point. I fear his fish out of water-ness is only going to make him worse when he gets captured / taken in by Mance et al.

Some more Bolton observations:

The one in his camp that really worries me is Bolton. I have nothing to go on. But like Tywin he has one of those looks of someone who'd slit your throat and not even bat an eyebrow. He lives in a castle called "the Dreadfort." I've read enough comic books and watched cartoons to know anyone who lives in a "Dreadfort" is up to no good. And he was asking Robb to trust him. In general when anyone on this show asks you to trust them... don't trust them.

They are spot on in their initial impression.

I also got a kick out of this observation of Tywin and prediction of his future.

Tywin- if he were a real life person I would really probably like him, and definitely like to work with him, but not want to be related to him. But he is so myopic- he spends all this time telling Arya about how he taught a dyslexic Jamie to read, yet he mentions nothing about his other son the genius who can read anything. Despite the fact that people in Westeros all over know Joffrey is a bastard he has never once admitted or acknowledged even knowing about that, although surely he must, somewhere he must but he is in deep denial. So, I'm putting him in the death pool too, and at the hands of a family member, I just have to wonder how long it will be-- will it be soon (like I believe Robb will), or will it be in a season? But either way, spitballers take note, I'm calling Tyrion's afore-predicted Lannistercide being directed at his father.

Some good speculation there.

Archived