[BOOK/TV SPOILERS] TWOP n00bs Thread II

Xray the Enforcer

Going back to Jaime for a second. I don't like him. Never have, doubt I ever will. Sure, he's gorgeous, but most of the time I honestly forget that, because I find him so thoroughly awful. I had an easier time understanding Theon than I do Jaime. It's nice that Jaime has some form of love for Tyrion, but as far as I can tell that's his only semi-decent trait.

Oh, my poor Summer boy, if you knew! ^^

They're currently plotting ways for Theon and Joffery to die. Incidentally a RL friend of mine who hasn't read the books wants Theon dead about 100x more than Joffery, and has also been guessing at how Theon meets his end.

The best part is how every gruesome thing I've heard him guess or the guesses of the Unsullied just doesn't even come close to what actually happens.

The best part is how every gruesome thing I've heard him guess or the guesses of the Unsullied just doesn't even come close to what actually happens.

Yup. Too right. I remember the first time I read the books, when Theon's nightmare began, I was all like 'yay! hurray!' Then, it went on and on... and on, and I started to feel sick, and then horrified and stunned. There was a very interesting discussion on these boards some years back positing that George is making Theon pay for every awful thing he (George) had to do to the Starks, that for every terrible thing he (George) did to the Starks, who he created and fleshed out into good, worthy, interesting human beings, who he presumably loved, as much as the Starks loved one another--somebody has to pay. He chose to create Theon, and to make Theon...pay.

Its the concept of the 'sin eater,' a quasi-mythological, quasi-religious concept wherein everybody in a village or whatever can pay a coin to lowly, worthless human being who is a designated 'sin eater,' and that guy takes all your sins into himself, you are then clean and cleansed and he suffers the pains of all the accumulated evil, regret, shame, humiliation of all of you.

Interesting concept--George obviously loved the Starks, he made us love the Starks, and then he piece by piece decimated the Starks. That had to hurt, as an author. Theon is his 'sin eater.'

and has also been guessing at how Theon meets his end.

Technically, he's still alive by now...

I wonder how they will react to Ramsay: will they be like "Yes, this dude get Theon, he's awesome !"

Or... "Who the fuck is that madman ?"

I guess it will matters on how Ramsay will come, I hope they wont skip, in the show, his sack of Winterfell, so the Unsullied get to truly hate Ramsay and feel some empathy for Theon... who is a character I feel a lot of empathy for.

One thing I've wondered: If the Unsullied are so unsullied, how do they know to call themselves Unsullied when the Unsullied haven't appeared in the show yet?

Is that a name they apply to themselves, or one we have given them? Seems like they refer to themselves as "spitballers" most often.

Yes, they call themselves 'spitballers,' its posters in the other (book friendly) threads who use the term 'Unsullied.'

Thank you OP for alerting me to the Unsullied.

Great fun to read and watching their reactions as the story you love unfolds brings a real enjoyment. I hope that when the show ends and this thead can honour the really great posters.

Wow, some Unsullied are really clueless :dunno:

Tyrion and Cersei: Nooo, Tyrion, don't go there!!! Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Interesting how subtly Dinklage conveyed that it was a seduction scene. He has top billing now, or does that change week by week? He nailed that scene, but please don't nail Cersei! Pleeeeeease!!!

I didn't get any kind of "incesty" feeling from that Tyrion/Cersei scene at all. It just looked like he was about to try to comfort her, but decided against it at the last second. Hmm. Just goes to show that people can have wildly different interpretations of the same exact scene.

I'm somewhat glad they have picked up that it wasn't Bran & Rickon who were killed, as I was afraid it might cause some of them to give up on the show. Conversely, though, I am not happy they regarded it as cheap.

I'm somewhat glad they have picked up that it wasn't Bran & Rickon who were killed, as I was afraid it might cause some of them to give up on the show. Conversely, though, I am not happy they regarded it as cheap.

Heh - I had the same fears before hand. While I totally bought their deaths in the books, from a strictly TV standpoint, it was kind of obvious. The Onion's newbie recap says as much in it - anybody who's ever watched a television show before can see it coming from a mile away. If I recall correctly, they totally called Starbuck's resurrection in BSG, too.

If anything, Ned's death made it even more obvious - they actually showed Ned's death in two different episodes, witnessed in public by thousands. The same can be said of GRRM in the books - after Bran & Rickon's fake deaths, I never bought into any of the others (Davos, Brienne, Jon Snow, and Stannis). The off-camera death got overdone as a trope. .

I didn't get any kind of "incesty" feeling from that Tyrion/Cersei scene at all. It just looked like he was about to try to comfort her, but decided against it at the last second. Hmm. Just goes to show that people can have wildly different interpretations of the same exact scene.

Yeah well, I thought your interpretation was the obviously correct one and I really can't fathom any other view, really...

Formatting isn't working but here's what someone said:

"What was Jon thinking, trying to drag Ygritte back to the other crows after Halfhand told him to kill her? Jeez, Jon. So now he's the captive, but there's now an opening in his seemingly dead-end plot line. Halfhand told him it was a dead end ("You give your life for the Southerners and they never even know it"), and Ygritte's "Braveheart" speech about freedom showed him the alternative.

Lessee now, he defects, becomes King of the Wildlings (after some game of thrones action against Mance Rayder), leads his army south to help Robb (but it's too late because FloBo did him in), finds Arya and enlists her as his King's Guard, and then takes over the iron throne because all the other big houses have decimated each other, with Ygritte as his queen and Cat as his scullery maid. And Dany? Lives out her days in the House of the Undying bitching that her dragons won't fight because they have bonded to humans but she will take back her birthright somehow. Yada yada."

LOL! Love it!

Thank you OP for alerting me to the Unsullied.

Great fun to read and watching their reactions as the story you love unfolds brings a real enjoyment. I hope that when the show ends and this thead can honour the really great posters.

Absolutely! There are one or two people on TWoP whose posts I read with unashamed joy every week :D

Maybe my favorite quote from the unsullied:

"The Tywin/Arya scenes are getting better and better. The GoT author is just a genius. Historic exposition, character development and sketching, plot development and thrill, densely compacted into those intense scene."

(emphasis added)

If this person ever reads the books, they'll be so disappointed there are no Arya-Tywin scenes!

I agree, I was amused by this mention of "the author" too...

It was obvious B&R werent dead, as it was in the books, glad they did pick it up!

As for Jon, I'm happy they start to find him interesting, cant wait for their reactions to the finale with Qhorin !

Archived