So Lancel Lannister...

Gaius Martell

Is the head of (what's left of) the family now? He's next in the line of succession with Jaime in the Kingsguard and Tyrion in exile. Will his religious fanaticism lead to some massive donation from the Rock to the Faith? Or does his being in the Warrior's Sons exclude him from the line? He's vastly different from the rest of the Lannisters save Jaime and Tyrion, so it'd be interesting to see the House undergo some massive redemption via the Faith of the Seven.

I thought he renounced all his names. I believe the next in line would be Martyn (I can't remember which twin is still alive). Realistically it is Tyrion and should have been that way to start with.

Tywin made sure to tell Tyrion that he'd never be lord of Casterly Rock. I'm not sure if a lord's wishes on his successor override the actual rules of succession, but I think Tyrion unwelcomeness in Westeros now precludes any chance of him being Lord of the Rock, though I'd LOVE to see a happy ending for the guy.

Umm, No!

If The Rock followed Dornish rlule, that my be the case, but I doubt Tywin felt the same way.

What ever Tywin felt is irrelevant; Cersei Lannister is currently the head of House Lannister and lord of Casterly Rock. Have you not read AFfC?

Umm, No!

If The Rock followed Dornish rlule, that my be the case, but I doubt Tywin felt the same way.

Women are in line to inherit after the male line is extinguished or disqualified. Under conventional rules Cersei would inherit after both her brothers were disqualified, then her children would inherit. If Cersei's line is extinguished, then the inheritence goes to Tywin's next brother, who would have been Kevan, then down Kevan's line until extinguished, then on to the next brother.

Umm, No!

the way succession works in westeros, much like in the real world means that if a lord had three children two boys and a girl, jaime and tyrion would come first despite cersei being born first, but if both are excluded from the succession, then the lordship passes too the daughter, instead of any male cousins. Besides for aFFc and aDwD she was lady of casterly rock, and if she's found innocent in her trail by combat, then she will remain with that title. Next up in the succession is martyn then tyrek(if they can find him) lancel cant inherit

the way succession works in westeros, much like in the real world means that if a lord had three children two boys and a girl, jaime and tyrion would come first despite cersei being born first, but if both are excluded from the succession, then the lordship passes too the daughter, instead of any male cousins. Besides for aFFc and aDwD she was lady of casterly rock, and if she's found innocent in her trail by combat, then she will remain with that title. Next up in the succession is martyn then tyrek(if they can find him) lancel cant inherit

That is right, only you forgot Tommen and Myrcella (in this order) between Cersei and Martyn.Sure they are underage, but they can have a "regent" until they turn sixteen.

The Warrior's Sons are kind of a religious order of monks, so he will never inherit, he even left the Darry to his wife when he joined.

Assuming that Jaime and Tyrion are disqualified, Kevan is Tywin's heir. After Kevan, it's his eldest surviving son - Lancel.

Um, no.

Do me a favor and flip open your copy of AFfC to the Appendix and go to the section on the Lannisters, you'll read this:

—CERSEI, twin to Jaime, now Lady of Casterly Rock.

And if that doesn't do the trick, go ahead and read the book over again since you clearly missed a good two dozen passages or so.

Assuming that Jaime and Tyrion are disqualified, Kevan is Tywin's heir. After Kevan, it's his eldest surviving son - Lancel.

You are wrong ser. Thats how the Targ kings worked it out post the Dance of Dragons, but that doesnt apply to the great houses of Westeros.

As others have said before you have to go through an entire branch before switching to the next.

So all of Tywin's children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren etc. are automatically before any of his siblings and their children.

So as of now the succession would go something like this :

Cersei is the current Lady of Casterly Rock as the last eligible child of Tywin Lannister.

1. Tommen is the heir because he's her only surviving son.

2. Myrcella, who comes after Tommen despite being older because she's a girl

3. Lancel, Kevan's oldest son

4. Martyn, Kevan's second son

5. Janei, Kevan's daughter

6. Tyrek (if he's still alive), as Tygett's son

7. Genna Frey, as Lord Tytos' daughter

8. Tywin Frey, Genna's eldest grandchild by her first son

9. Willem Frey, Genna's grandchild by her first son

10. Lyonel Frey, Genna's second son

11. Red Walder Frey, Genna's fourth son

And if all of those die it probably goes to the Lannister cousins : Daven and his sisters, Damion and his children etc.

ETA : Yes you're right. I can't believe I skipped right over Genna ! Added in the list.

As others have said before you have to go through an entire branch before switching to the next.

So all of Tywin's children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren etc. are automatically before any of his siblings and their children.

So as of now the succession would go something like this :

Close, but not quite.

Time to trot out this old chestnut:

Ah yes, time to trot out this old chestnut:

Tytos - Ruling Lord (dead, 1st son of Tybolt[?])

Tywin - Ruling Lord (dead, 1st son of Tytos)

Jaime (1st son of Tywin, grandson of Tytos - excluded because of his oaths)

Tyrion (2nd son of Tywin, grandson of Tytos - exluded because of his "crimes")

Cersei - Ruling Lady (1st daughter of Tywin, granddaughter of Tytos)

Joffrey Baratheon (dead, 1st son of Cersei, grandson of Tywin)

Tommen Baratheon (2nd son of Cersei, grandson of Tywin)

Myrcella Baratheon (1st daughter of Cersei, granddaughter of Tywin)

Kevan (2nd son of Tytos)

Lancel (1st son of Kevan, grandson of Tytos, also - excluded because of his oaths)

Willem (dead, 2nd son of Kevan, grandson of Tytos)

Martyn (3rd son of Kevan, grandson of Tytos)

Janei (1st daughter of Kevan, granddaughter of Tytos)

Tygett (dead, 3rd son of Tytos)

Tyrek (1st son of Tygett, grandson of Tytos)

Gerion (dead, 4th son of Tytos)

Genna - (1st daughter of Tytos)

Cleos Frey (dead, 1st son of Genna, grandson of Tytos)

Tywin Frey (1st son of Cleos, grandson of Genna, great-grandson of Tytos)

Willem Frey (2nd son of Cleos, grandson of Genna, great-grandson of Tytos)

Lyonel Frey (2nd son of Genna, grandson of Tytos)

Tion Frey (dead, 3rd son of Genna, grandson of Tytos)

Walder Frey (4th son of Genna, grandson of Tytos)

Stafford Lannister (dead, 1st cousin of Tywin, nephew of Tytos - presumably the son of Tytos' sibling, and grandson of Tytos' father, Tybolt[?])

Daven Lannister (1st son of Stafford, great-nephew of Tytos, great-grandson of Tybolt)

Cerenna Lannister (1st daughter of Stafford, great-niece of Tytos, great-granddaughter of Tybolt)

Myrielle Lannister (2nd daughter of Stafford, great-niece of Tytos, great-granddaughter of Tybolt)

Joanna Lannister (dead, 1st cousin of Tywin, niece of Tytos, granddaughter of Tybolt)

- I have it saved for just such situations

-- second edit: this needs to be updated because of certain developments in aDwD.

Archived