From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa

brashcandy

Sansa has made plenty of mistakes over the course of the story so far, but Alayne has been brilliant, with one exception. When riding down from the Eyrie, Randa tells her that the bastard of Eddard Stark has been chosen as the Lord Commander of the NW. Alayne says, "Jon Snow?" Randa then has a significant pause and says something along the lines of, "yes, he would be a Snow i suppose."

LF warned Alayne to be careful around Randa (who has her eye on Harry the Heir), because the Royces are playing their own game. Does anybody else think this one little slip up could wind up very poorly for Sansa/Alayne? Could this mistake be something she has to overcome to establish herself as a player?

I didn't see it as a significant slip-up to be honest, and I don't believe Randa noticed. However, it's almost certain that Randa isn't buying the whole father-daughter act between LF and Sansa, and she'll probably continue to grow more suspicious when she's around Alayne for a longer period of time. I actually think LF could be the one who messes up, given his inappropriate touching and kissing of Sansa.

So far I am not sure how Randa feels towards Sansa/Alayne, if she is suspicious, ambivalent, or if she truly does not mean her well.

We have previously discussed the possibility that Sansa may learn some 'womanly arts' from Mya and/or Randa, which I can see happening. But that does not rule out Randa having an ulterior motive. While I would love for Randa to be unequivocally helpful towards Sansa, this is GRRM we are talking about, and he does not exactly have a load of previous examples of strong/lasting female friendships, especially in regards to poor Sansa. I've always gotten the feeling that Sansa is growing up to be one of those beautiful women who turns the heads of men without even trying (or necessarily wanting to), and other women find that hard to accept and grow envious or resentful. But perhaps Randa will prove otherwise. I am hoping that Mya Stone will at least be sympathetic towards Sansa.....we shall see. :)

But as for Randa, I would not be surprised if she could be looking for something to use against Sansa , though whether she will actually guess her true identity or not....it would depend on how much other information she gleans from her observations.

That said, perhaps that statement was just LF's attempt to control Sansa and keep her from forming too close an attachment with anyone except himself. Randa could even have it out for LF, not Sansa.....it has been way too long since I've read AFFC, so perhaps I am mistaken about all of the above. :P

Edited to say: I agree brashcandy, LF might give himself away in this regard (we can only hope!) :P

Sansa has made plenty of mistakes over the course of the story so far, but Alayne has been brilliant, with one exception. When riding down from the Eyrie, Randa tells her that the bastard of Eddard Stark has been chosen as the Lord Commander of the NW. Alayne says, "Jon Snow?" Randa then has a significant pause and says something along the lines of, "yes, he would be a Snow i suppose."

LF warned Alayne to be careful around Randa (who has her eye on Harry the Heir), because the Royces are playing their own game. Does anybody else think this one little slip up could wind up very poorly for Sansa/Alayne? Could this mistake be something she has to overcome to establish herself as a player?

I think this one little slip will go better for samsa than LF

Kittykatknits - really cool story about your child modeling days :) I actually don't mind guys with blond hair, but chalk that up to a pretty hot university experience with a pretty hot blond long haired guy.... :cool4: :cool4: Moving on.... :)

I really like how everything LF is telling Sansa is going to come back to bite him in the ass. He's totally preparing Sansa for a life with him when he tells her that younger girls are happier with older men, but what he doesn't know is that there's another older man in her life whom she's already attracted to. Even his efforts to get her to adopt the identiy of Alayne Stone might ultimately work in Sandor's favour, since it's arguable that Sansa can only be with Sandor if she remains a bastard girl.

And I hope she doesn't .

I think she is the Stark to rebuild Winterfell, I'm not much of SanSan but I rather see him forsake his name and become a Stark if they are to be together, after the Others come rules of who you marry will be or should be cast aside.

And I hope she doesn't .

I think she is the Stark to rebuild Winterfell, I'm not much of SanSan but I rather see him forsake his name and become a Stark if they are to be together, after the Others come rules of who you marry will be or should be cast aside.

I'd actually really love that in general for the series, if there was a loosening of restrictions about who you could marry......maybe because so many people will dead? :P

But.....possibly just wishful thinking.... :P

I really like how everything LF is telling Sansa is going to come back to bite him in the ass. He's totally preparing Sansa for a life with him when he tells her that younger girls are happier with older men, but what he doesn't know is that there's another older man in her life whom she's already attracted to. Even his efforts to get her to adopt the identiy of Alayne Stone might ultimately work in Sandor's favour, since it's arguable that Sansa can only be with Sandor if she remains a bastard girl.

I think her feelings for Sandor are going to turn out to be an ace of her sleeve, that he will play a role in helping her to reclaim her identiy. But, I agree with Grail King. I would rather she become a Stark again and he take her name. Or, if that can not happen, then he can become the sworn shield who guards her body during the day and keeps it warm at night.....that would be an acceptable substitute.

It seemed to me to represent his character arc. I was very surprised when I first came on these boards and saw people discussing how Tyrion might meet up with Tysha again and I really hope he never does. As others said, I think it would be better for him to come to terms with it and move on, in a parallel to the Hound persona being killed off and Sandor putting behind him the idea of vengeance on his brother.

<snip>

I also find it difficult to support the idea that Sansa and Aegon will end up together for the reasons that you all said above. I think it's much more likely that Sansa and Tyrion will stay married than Sansa ends up with Aegon. NOTE: I am not saying that's what I want for Sansa or Tyrion, just that given all the unfinished business Tyrion has with LF, the Vale and his connection with Sansa, I see that as more likely.

Edit: Also I would be really disappointed if after all his where do the Whores go? If Tyrion gets back to CR as Lord and rather than using his resources to find out what happened to Tysha, he goes ah there's my hot young wife. Oh well Tysha was a shame, must put it behind me, tra la la la la.

Tyrion's storyline is tied to Dany right now so I think it will be a while before he and Sansa come in to contact again either way.

Rapsie - great point about him going back to CR and goes after the hot young wife. I would be disappointed as well and not just because I don't like the two of them married. I think it would be a great disservice to Tyrion's character. It's obvious how much his relationship with Tysha has impacted him and that needs to be fully resolved. Shacking up with Sansa isn't going to do that. But, I also hope they never meet again too. I really think that Tysha is a part of his past that he will need to live with, painful as it is.

I agree as well, that Sansa is more likely to stay married to Tyrion than marry Aegon at this stage. I have been wondering aobut her marriage to Tyrion quite a bit, I don't think it will be a dropped plot point. As I see it, there are four ways it can end: One or both of them dying, an annulment, they stay married and together, or they stay married but are estranged. Right now, I would say the first and last option seem the most likely but I really have no idea. From what we have seen of the Faith and the new High Septon, I just don't think an annulment is going to be easy to obtain. I also do not see them riding off in to the sunset together as Lord and Lady of Casterly Rock.

• Finally (!), and while this is a hardly new revelation, I think Sandor is the one person she encounters that she can truly be herself with. In her interactions with a lot of other characters, she always thinks before she speaks (ie. will this displease them, they are lying, I need to be courteous, etc.) whereas with him, it's a constant flow of dialogue. Even more so, she feels comfortable enough to say what she thinks. Again in the BBW (I think it's this scene?) she thinks 'why is he here?' and in a dialogue with anyone else she would have tried to puzzle it out later. But with Sandor, only a couple lines later she comes out and asks him. Certainly this comfort is an evolution - she wouldn't have said this the first time they talk - but it demonstrates her growing trust in him and the depth of their relationship.

Great first post! I strongly agree with this point. She is very careful with everything she says and does. She takes her courtesy armor off with Ser Dontos but not in the same way she does with Sandor. I love seeing her wolf claws come out with him up on the rooftop.

I've gone back and forth on this. A part of me thinks that her real identity is an open secret while another part thinks that everyone believe she is merely LF's bastard daughter. Eithe way, it's likely we will find out in the next book. It will come out eventually. I would expect that LF will work the same way he did with the Tyrells, dropping rumors amongst the servants and leaving clues. He'll probably also try to look like the hero for taking Sansa Stark, daughter of the beloved Ned and Catelyn Stark, out of KL. That would not surprise me at all.

Personally I think Sansa will or could marry again for love, I don't know if it will be with the Hound or not. It will be Arya who will marry for political reasons.

I don't think I have seen anyone guess that Arya will marry for political reasons before. Most conjecture has it that Sansa will be the one to marry for political reasons, if she needs too. I'm curious what makes you think this?

Great post Lady! :)

I liked how you phrased that:

• Regarding the infamous 'I should have f*cked her bloody' scene, I read it as the realization of his vulnerability, and the death of the Hound. He (like Sansa) is a person of 2 names and 2 sides. His sadness comes not from what he did or did not do, but rather his realization that he is not the cruel and hardened person he should be. Because if he was truly the vicious Hound, he would have raped her. He doesn't say he wish he had, but rather that he should have - because that's what a soulless Hound would do. But he does have a soul, he does care for her (and for others), he does have a moral code that he lives by. The cruel person he thinks he should be (and has a reputation for) doesn't actually exist. I hope this makes sense - it's quite a hard emotion to describe, but no matter how many times I re-read that interaction, I read it that way.!

Sandor’s Hound persona was getting too heavy for him to carry. For years he had been able to act as the Hound without any problem.

This all changed with the arrival of Sansa in his life and I’m sure the Hound hated it. He hated it because as long as his hard heartless persona was in place, he could go on with his life, not caring about anything.

When Sandor told Sansa the story of his facial scars after the tourney, he made the mistake of letting her get a glimpse of the man hidden under the Hound; when she touched his shoulder to comfort him, it was probably the first time in years that anyone had a contact with his real self. That is certainly the reason why he was so mad after that and even threatened to kill her. It was too late though.

What made Sansa so special was that she shared her relation with Sandor Clegane, not the Hound.

Sansa, without knowing it, caused the first crack to appear on the perfectly strong shell that Sandor had been able to build around himself through the years.

It’s funny how Cersei’s advice to Sansa that were featured in this week’s episode comes to mind when talking about this:

Love no one.

The less people you love, the less you are vulnerable.

Well, caring for someone was certainly even harder for him since that very person was constantly mistreated and beaten in front of him.

Once Sansa opened that door (the true-Sandor door ;) ), it was hard to close it completely, a little as a Pandora box. He was then confronted with his true self more and more often.

That last confession, the infamous f**k her bloody line was, as Lady said, a realization of his vulnerability. He finally admitted to himself that he was not the heartless brute that he should have been; we did indeed witness the Hound’s death at that moment…

Rapsie - great point about him going back to CR and goes after the hot young wife. I would be disappointed as well and not just because I don't like the two of them married. I think it would be a great disservice to Tyrion's character. It's obvious how much his relationship with Tysha has impacted him and that needs to be fully resolved. Shacking up with Sansa isn't going to do that. But, I also hope they never meet again too. I really think that Tysha is a part of his past that he will need to live with, painful as it is.

If the Sailor's Wife theory is true and Tyrion does find Tysha and Lanna, then Tywin's line about not wanting Tyrion to make Casterly Rock his Whore House is going to be one hell of an interesting foreshadowing point. :devil:

If he is dying slowly from Greyscale so can't actually enjoy this new life, then that would also fill the bittersweet quota.

As for Sansa: her story has featured so much around marriage and romance that I can't really see her becoming the single Lady Stark of Winterfell. Indeed the death of Lady (especially given the signifigance of the names of the wolves) seems to suggest that she won't go home. The building of the Snow Castle however seems to suggest she may indeed rebuild it and it re-established her as a Stark.

There seem to be a lot of ways in which her story could play out.

Regarding LF having Tysha, or being aware of Tysha etc. There is another possibility that we might want to consider. We know Littlefinger has Jeyne Pool impersonate Arya, and he has Sansa impersonate his bastard daughter. What will prevent him from getting someone to impersonate Tysha? It seems like the simplest solution. The only problem is of course the High Sparrow, but the original Tysha would not really know much or be well education and her story could be sad, but simple. Married to Tyrion, raped, ran off to LF's whorehouse, spent X years there, got dug up by LF eventually. WHAM, Tyrion was never married to Sansa.

I think her feelings for Sandor are going to turn out to be an ace of her sleeve, that he will play a role in helping her to reclaim her identiy. But, I agree with Grail King. I would rather she become a Stark again and he take her name. Or, if that can not happen, then he can become the sworn shield who guards her body during the day and keeps it warm at night.....that would be an acceptable substitute.

Apart from Littlefinger, he is one of the few people around who actually know what Sansa Stark looks like. Even Jaime has never really interacted with her and probably only remember her very vaguely. Brienne has never seen her. The Vale people have either never seen her, or once when she was much younger (Bronze Yohn Royce). UnCat is well...dead, and probably won't move around much. The rest of the BWB might stand a chance if some northman spots her, but even so, if her hair is brown and she's much older...it may be difficult.

So yes, I think something with reclaiming her identity is going to happen. Especially since he's always been really brutal with the truth and all that.

What I feel fairly secure in saying at this point is that Sansa doesn't want to return to being a Lady. Not the Lady of Winterfell, not Lady Lannister and not the Lady wife of Harry the heir. All of her negative experiences when it comes to marriage and betrothals have been due to people wanting to use her claim to her Stark birthright.

I don't think I have seen anyone guess that Arya will marry for political reasons before. Most conjecture has it that Sansa will be the one to marry for political reasons, if she needs too. I'm curious what makes you think this?

I share that curiosity.

What I feel fairly secure in saying at this point is that Sansa doesn't want to return to being a Lady. Not the Lady of Winterfell, not Lady Lannister and not the Lady wife of Harry the heir. All of her negative experiences when it comes to marriage and betrothals have been due to people wanting to use her claim to her Stark birthright.

That doesn't mean she wants to stop being a Stark or run away without her own identity.

If the Sailor's Wife theory is true and Tyrion does find Tysha and Lanna, then Tywin's line about not wanting Tyrion to make Casterly Rock his Whore House is going to be one hell of an interesting foreshadowing point. :devil:

If he is dying slowly from Greyscale so can't actually enjoy this new life, then that would also fill the bittersweet quota.

As for Sansa: her story has featured so much around marriage and romance that I can't really see her becoming the single Lady Stark of Winterfell. Indeed the death of Lady (especially given the signifigance of the names of the wolves) seems to suggest that she won't go home. The building of the Snow Castle however seems to suggest she may indeed rebuild it and it re-established her as a Stark.

There seem to be a lot of ways in which her story could play out.

The lost of Lady has so many choices for GRRM I think it will fall on how he feels about her.

Sansa dies, Sansa lost her wolf she's no longer a Stark ( this part for now is true X 2 ), she can't warg ( of course she can ) will she stay a bastard or actually become No One, of all the characters in Martin's book she is probably in the top 1 or 3 most realistic arcs, for us readers it an emotional roller coaster (can I use that as a male?), I hope she doesn't loose who she is, of all the kids she is most like Ned deep down but I think wiser on the political front, from what she endured so far, and I think she is smart enough to find a loop hole to keep the wrong people from taking what is her siblings and her birth right.

My bittersweet thought (nightmare) is that they all meet in Winterfell and seeing the devastation decide not to rebuild and they go their own way and maybe the lost of House Stark.

Tyrion's storyline is tied to Dany right now so I think it will be a while before he and Sansa come in to contact again either way.

I agree as well, that Sansa is more likely to stay married to Tyrion than marry Aegon at this stage. I have been wondering aobut her marriage to Tyrion quite a bit, I don't think it will be a dropped plot point. As I see it, there are four ways it can end: One or both of them dying, an annulment, they stay married and together, or they stay married but are estranged. Right now, I would say the first and last option seem the most likely but I really have no idea. From what we have seen of the Faith and the new High Septon, I just don't think an annulment is going to be easy to obtain. I also do not see them riding off in to the sunset together as Lord and Lady of Casterly Rock.

Great first post! I strongly agree with this point. She is very careful with everything she says and does. She takes her courtesy armor off with Ser Dontos but not in the same way she does with Sandor. I love seeing her wolf claws come out with him up on the rooftop.

I've gone back and forth on this. A part of me thinks that her real identity is an open secret while another part thinks that everyone believe she is merely LF's bastard daughter. Eithe way, it's likely we will find out in the next book. It will come out eventually. I would expect that LF will work the same way he did with the Tyrells, dropping rumors amongst the servants and leaving clues. He'll probably also try to look like the hero for taking Sansa Stark, daughter of the beloved Ned and Catelyn Stark, out of KL. That would not surprise me at all.

Sansa seems like a romantic, who likes to see love as a persons primary motivation. It Petyrs love for her Mother that lets her rationalize his behaivior. Maybe Sansa is less naive now then she was but I see this as a fundemental part of her personality. She still romanticises the Hound and Ser Loras long after she has seen them, Dontos convinces her to trust him by making comparisions to Jonquil. She clings to love like a blanket on a cold night. We can see what sort of wife she was to Tyrion, she was dutiful but unbearable. Her betrothal to Robert and its unacceptability to her, even Tyrion was better, motivated her to confront her Aunt Lysa even if it meant being sent from the Eyrie. Shes shown a lot of resistance to marriage arrngements she finds unacceptable, IMO.

Arya on the other hand, at this point , does not strike me this way. She is more concerned with killing her enemies or revenge. Would she marry someone she did not know or love to accomplish this? Probaly. And if this man was cruel to her? He would probaly suffer a fatal accident. She seems like she would have the discipline to tolerate an arranged marriage better than Sansa.

What's the alternative, then? She did allow herself to enjoy the illusion of being a minor lord's bastard, but I don't know if that'll last after the comparative relief wears off.

Thank you much all for the very warm welcome!

I completely agree with that interpretation regarding the names - in a way Sandor can remain nameless as there is only one 'he' that she could be referring to, and that is the power of the lack of name usage. So thank you for your insight!

I also agree with brashcandy's point about Sansa and marriage - I would be truly disappointed if she ended up married to Willas (or similar lord). It would feel like she had learned everything for nothing. Her fantasies about playing with puppies with him is truly cringeworthy. Of course her character would still have evolved but it would have less impact, for me personally, if she married someone that she didn't get to employ her new fierceness with.

What I enjoy about the Alayne character - as sad as I find that arc and how much she has given up of herself - is that it is giving her the freedom to explore a more political, fierce and willful side of her spirit. Like I said before about her and Sandor being inverses of each other (him learning to calm the rage, her learning to live in a political world and manipulate people), she needs this time to explore this side of her. So while I agree that ultimately I don't think she will lose that sweet side of her, I think as long as she is Alayne, it is on the backburner.

Rapsie - that is such a great suggestion regarding rebuilding Winterfell! I think that snowbuilding scene could definitely be foreshadowing that outcome but if so, I doubt we would see it until the final book because winter is hardly the ideal construction season, what with the Others making their rapid descent.

Maroucia - thank you for understanding what I meant about the f*ck her bloody scene and expanding upon it so eloquently. I think that background dovetails nicely with my interpretation of the scene and also highlights why their relationship is so unique.

One thing I have been thinking about more recently is about her Little Bird moniker. Of course Sandor teases her about being in a gilded cage, and repeating what she is supposed to say, but there is also a Varys connection in that Sansa is very much like his little birds. It her action to whisper to Cersei her father's intentions to whisk them away that catalyzes his imprisonment and ultimately, the war. Of course I don't blame her, but in this act, she is very much a little bird and while this isn't an original realization by any means, it only struck me recently!

One of the things I noticed was that Sansa hardly ever uses the Hound or Sandor's name when she is in conversation with him. I first noticed this because (being a super nerd), sometimes I just wanted to rush ahead and see if they had any interactions. So I would search for 'Hound' or 'Sandor' (on my ipad) and his name wouldn't crop up and then I would be pleasantly surprised when I came to find she had thought about him in her chapter! For example, in the BBW, despite have a 2-3 page interaction (according to my ipad/kindle) the name 'Hound' comes up only once and Sandor not at all. He is often just described in such a way that we know that it is him (ie. his scars, his voice, his size). I've tried to think about the significance of this but can't come to any definite conclusions - so any further thoughts would be more than welcome!

Also, I think that it's the same with Sandor using Sansa's name. If I remember correctly, I think he only ever calls her "Little Bird" (and never Sansa--though did he use Sansa's name when talking to Arya about her? Come to think of it, I think Sandor always called Arya "She Wolf" or "Wolf Bitch" too, never by her name either.)

It is great that you mentionned the name thing, I have always found it interesting. :)

Sandor named

By Sansa

As Lady noticed, she sometimes does not even name him.

When he is named, however, he is almost always "the Hound". Sometimes, we also get an occasionnal "Sandor Clegane", but never in direct speech nor direct thought (the ones in italics). And IIRC, all the unkiss memories are either unnamed or "the Hound"-labelled.

She also doesn't know how to adress him. She obviously doesn't want to call him "dog" like the others, and can't call him "Ser". We see her once try "my lord" but it doesn't work better than "Ser" ("I'm no lord, no more than I'm a knight"). The only time she speaks of him and before him (just after the riot), she says "The Hound".

So, isn't that interesting ? Our sweet Sansa seems to like her big Hound... :P

This is one of the reasons I don't want to see "the Hound" die completely on QI. I hope Sandor will always keep a part of Hound in him.

By Arya

He is mostly "the Hound" too, but he gets a lot "Sandor Clegane", or even simply "Clegane". I find the last one interesting, because it means that Arya does not make a difference between the two Cleganes : Gregor or Sandor, it's the same, they are both monsters to her.

And after the Red Wedding, she uses "Clegane" less. He still is "the Hound" or "Sandor Clegane", but he also gets a lot of "Sandor", which I find quite cute :)

By others

Other characters adress him as "dog", "Hound" or "Clegane".

The only ones to ever call him "Sandor" in direct speech are Polliver and the Tickler, which I find downright creepy. :ack: (I mean, imagine that the only people to use your first name are some psychopaths working for your even madder brother who totally destroyed your childhood...)

Sandor naming

Sansa

He mentions her first name only twice.

The first time is during Joff's tourney, when he annonces her formally : "Lady Sansa," the Hound announced curtly when he saw her. I think this one does not count, since he is all business-like.

The second time is to Arya :

"Didn't you ever have a brother you wanted to kill ?" He laughed again. "Or maybe a sister?" He must have seen something in her face then, for he leaned closer. "Sansa. That's it, isn't it ? The wolf bitch wants to kill the pretty bird."

The rest of the time, he seems to avoid mentionning her to other people. When speaking to Arya, he mostly says "your sister". However there are times when he lets slip "little bird" or "pretty bird". There is the quote above, and the other times are when he is distressed : Sansa being hurt in the riot, him learning of the Motley Wedding, his death-bed confession to Arya...

Note than "pretty bird" is only when speaking to Arya, the others only get "little bird"... as if he would rather keep his affection to her a family secret : "Little bird" can be seen as mocking ("You're still a stupid little bird"), but "pretty bird" clearly shows how found of her he has become. Unfortunately, Arya is not the most perceptive person, so it goes unnoticed. :D

Arya

She gets a bit of everything : "wolf girl", "she-wolf", "wolf bitch". He always associates her with wolves, which he never did for Sansa. I think he finds her very similar to him in some way (and later he even starts teaching her how to be him when he shows her how to kill men).

But what I totally love is when he meets her at the Hollow Hill. His reaction is not : "Seven hells, Arya Stark !" or "Seven hells, the Hand's daughter !" or "Seven hells, the missing girl !"

No, it is : "Seven hells, the little sister !" It certainly shows who is the center of his world :leer:

The second time is to Arya :

"Didn't you ever have a brother you wanted to kill ?" He laughed again. "Or maybe a sister?" He must have seen something in her face then, for he leaned closer. "Sansa. That's it, isn't it ? The wolf bitch wants to kill the pretty bird."

I knew it was in there! :) Thanks for finding that QoS, I didn't have my book/ebook with me at the time I posted! :thumbsup:

But what I totally love is when he meets her at the Hollow Hill. His reaction is not : "Seven hells, Arya Stark !" or "Seven hells, the Hand's daughter !" or "Seven hells, the missing girl !"

No, it is : "Seven hells, the little sister !" It certainly shows who is the center of his world :leer:

Love it! :D (That poor man, he's got it bad, no?)

Archived