Worst Parents in ASoIaF
Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:45 AM
Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:54 AM
dany hands down
Quit being ridiculous.
1) The dragons, well they'd just proven that they'd eat children and Dany was the sole regent of a major city. She had to do something, and she did the correct thing.
2) She didn't want to leave them to die, but she had no choice. It seems there is no cure and it's contagious. Why would you let them into your city?
3) Wouldn't do anything? As in she didn't execute the hostages, but she did have patrols out at night. But there's little she can do when fighting someone she doesn't know. Marrying Hizdahr to stop the killings was a good move for 'her children'
4) It's very clear that she's unaware she was sacrificing Rhaego.
And most importantly only #4 actually applies as the others aren't really her children, more devout followers.
Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:29 AM
Craster was pretty poor as well. For obvious reasons.
She never thought about Rickon you say ?
Before he "died" :
- "She remembered her own baby, three-year-old Rickon, half the age of this boy and five times as fierce"
- "She feared for Ned and her girls, and for the sweet sons she had left behind at Winterfell."
- "As she slept amidst the rolling grasslands Catelyn dreamt that Bran was whole again, that Arya and Sansa held hands, that Rickon was still a babe at her breast. Robb, crownless, played with a wooden sword, and when all were safe asleep, she found Ned in her bed, smiling."
- "Fate drives me south again, Catelyn thought as she sipped the astringent tea, when it is north I should be going, north to home. She had written to Bran and Rickon, that last night at Riverrun. I do not forget you, my sweet ones, you must believe that. It is only that your brother needs me more."
- "She knelt before the Mother. 'My lady, look down on this battle with a mother's eyes. They are all sons, every one. Spare them if you can, and spare my own sons as well. Watch over Robb and Bran and Rickon. Would that I were with them"
- "I have come so many thousands of leagues, and for what ? Who have I served ? I have lost my daughters, Robb does not want me, and Bran and Rickon must surely think me a cold and unnatural mother. I was not even with Ned when he died..."
- "Would that there were five of me, one for each child, so I might keep them all safe".
After he "died" :
- "They never knew my sons. Never watched Bran climb with their hearts in their throat, pride and terror so mingled they seemed as one, never heard him laugh, never smiled to see Rickon trying so fiercely to be like his older brothers. [...] I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place within me where my heart was once."
- "Have I lost two sons, or three ?"
- "She stood at Robb's left hand behind the high seat, and for a moment felt almost as if she were looking down at her own dead, at Bran and Rickon."
- "Bran and Rickon will be waiting for him, Catelyn thought sadly, as once I used to wait"
- "My lord husband is dead, as is my father. Two of my sons have been murdered, my daughter has been given to a faithless dwarf to bear his vile children, my other daughter is vanished and likely dead."
And the final kicker : "Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb... Robb.. please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting..."
I think you missed a few things.
Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:34 AM