[Book spoilers] Rickon's companions

With Bran and Rickon on the lam, only accompanied by Hodor and Osha, and no Jojen or Meera. Who is going to accompany who, once Bran and Rickon's roads split?

Hodor is of course going with Bran, but Hodor not being much of a talker, how is Bran going to share his thoughts as he journeys north? Osha seems more connected to Bran and I am guessing she will play that part, but then who will take care of little Rickon?

Disclaimer: I love the deviations. Little things like this allow even us book readers to be surprised and speculate.

They could make some reason for them to be there. They would have seemed weird no matter how they were introduced (if they introduce them). My theory is that they would meet them beyond the wall. They would make more sense if they were wildlings, maybe moved from the south of the wall years ago, then if they were these wierd people south of the wall.

I had a thought following this episode as they were walking off into the woods at the end minus any other adults. We’re all assuming that they’re all going to be going north either now, or that they’re going to do as in the books and go hide in the crypts until Winterfell is razed by Ramsey and then head north.

But why are we assuming they’re going North?

Thus far, Bran has not made any mention of going north, nor has anyone else. Osha obviously has no desire to go that way, and they thus far have so reason to go that way, so why in the hell would they? Wouldn’t it make more since for them at this point to try and go south to meet up with Robb?

My new theory is this, and will probably be proven in the next couple episodes (unless they all go into hiding off camera until S3.)

If they go North: They’re probably going to deviate from the books somehow and we most likely won’t see the Reeds (unless they're waiting at Queenscrown or something.)

If they go South: They’ll run into the Reeds, probably outside Moat Cailin at the Neck, or possibly sooner, at which point they will split up and head back north as normal in two parties.

I’m about 60% sure it's going to be option B, because it’s an entirely logical way to delay meeting the Reeds until season 3 by adding in a completely reasonable detour the allows them to meet naturally.

I know this is unpopular...but I don't like the Reeds...

*Ducks for cover, paintball style*

I just find them as enablers for Bran to fully realise his abilities.

Tower of Joy has something to do with it, but Howland Reed is still alive so I'm only really waiting to hear from him.

He's ok, he saved Ned (we think)... :cool4:

I had a thought following this episode as they were walking off into the woods at the end minus any other adults. We’re all assuming that they’re all going to be going north either now, or that they’re going to do as in the books and go hide in the crypts until Winterfell is razed by Ramsey and then head north.

But why are we assuming they’re going North?

Thus far, Bran has not made any mention of going north, nor has anyone else. Osha obviously has no desire to go that way, and they thus far have so reason to go that way, so why in the hell would they? Wouldn’t it make more since for them at this point to try and go south to meet up with Robb?

My new theory is this, and will probably be proven in the next couple episodes (unless they all go into hiding off camera until S3.)

If they go North: They’re probably going to deviate from the books somehow and we most likely won’t see the Reeds (unless they're waiting at Queenscrown or something.)

If they go South: They’ll run into the Reeds, probably outside Moat Cailin at the Neck, or possibly sooner, at which point they will split up and head back north as normal in two parties.

I’m about 60% sure it's going to be option B, because it’s an entirely logical way to delay meeting the Reeds until season 3 by adding in a completely reasonable detour the allows them to meet naturally.

I like your idea of them starting to go South. Your right, when we first meet Osha she is going as far south as south can go, it would only make sense that she takes them that way. Especially with Robb and Co being South.

Ya, the going south idea could work. I don't know how they would randomly run into the children of the one guy who may know all the secrets. Or why they would decide to head north when they had never met Bran yet. Unless Jojen conveniently dreams it.

Ya, the going south idea could work. I don't know how they would randomly run into the children of the one guy who may know all the secrets. Or why they would decide to head north when they had never met Bran yet. Unless Jojen conveniently dreams it.

I mean, that is how Meera and Jojen end up going to and sticking around Winterfell in the first place.

Well that's basically why they went to Winterfell in the first place.

The guy who plays Maester Luwin is awesome. Perfect example of a character who is better on the show than in the books. But having him die as a result of the destruction of Winterfell is really powerful and would be a strong note to end Season 2, especially if they keep to the book and have the kids hiding in the crypts. I would really love if Luwin could stay in the show but who else can they kill at Winterfell who viewers have a strong emotional tie to?

Since they're splitting ASOS into 2 seasons, there will be room for Jojen and Meera.

If they trudge all the way down to Moat Caitlin, why in the world would Davos then have to go fetch Rickon and Shaggy from Skagos? They’d never go there from there, so to speak. This is the butterfly effect in action.

I wonder whether Osha will get killed by a unicorn. Betcha betcha.

I'm sure what happened was GRRM told D&D what would happen in the Rickon & Osha & Davos storyline in TWoW and D&D decided the story was pointless and decided to axe it.

No Reeds. That means Rickon goes with Bran, or he dies along the way. I'm sure the producers are dying to have a good reason to get rid of a kid actor that will completely outgrow his part in a year or two.

I'm sure what happened was GRRM told D&D what would happen in the Rickon & Osha & Davos storyline in TWoW and D&D decided the story was pointless and decided to axe it.

No Reeds. That means Rickon goes with Bran, or he dies along the way. I'm sure the producers are dying to have a good reason to get rid of a kid actor that will completely outgrow his part in a year or two.

Nope, not going to happen, no way, no how. Martin didn’t set things up to have a spare Stark heir for no reason. Rickon is a true Checkov’s Heir here.

Plus why would you think that the Rickon actor would outgrow the rôle? Makes no sense.

If they trudge all the way down to Moat Caitlin, why in the world would Davos then have to go fetch Rickon and Shaggy from Skagos? They’d never go there from there, so to speak. This is the butterfly effect in action.

I wonder whether Osha will get killed by a unicorn. Betcha betcha.

Because Moat Caitlin would be under Greyjoy control just like it is in the books. And because of geography, sneaking past would be prohibitively difficulty (and or fatal) for anyone who is not a crannogmen. Assuming they were only intercepted by the Reeds, both of whom are needed to take Bran north, there is no way for Osha and Rickon to go any further south, the only options would be to go someplace entirely different, and since nowhere in the mainland north is safe…

They could also set it up as a mirror to Arya’s traveling North. If they took a long time going south, and learned from the Reeds (or from Bran's dreams) that the RW had taken place, they’d suddenly find the south a less than ideal destination and be forced to seek other options.

Archived