[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

I do get a bit miffed when I read things like this - no offence to you, Hoo. Yep, we know that in certain books Jon's and Dany's stories can be slow moving, but surely, surely, surely - by all that's holy - every single reader MUST have grasped that Dany, Jon and Tyrion are the three main characters of George's saga thus far. I honestly do NOT see how the show's writers can ignore these characters in any one series - even if they do have to spice up their particular storylines due to the book they are dramatising.

I have not read the whole saga. I am up to the middle of the Clash of Kings, which is just behind the show. I see nothing in the chapters that makes me want to read more about Jon or Danny. The stories are slow moving with nothing of any significance to the rest of the realm except the dragons. It was a complete waste of time for me to read Jon's chapters, and to an extent Danny's chapters. I also see very little use for Bran's chapters so far, but I'm sure it will pick up with the overtaking of Winterfell. I have to disagree with the sentiment about Jon and Danny character being central to anything, as far as I've read and watched.

I have not read the whole saga. I am up to the middle of the Clash of Kings, which is just behind the show. I see nothing in the chapters that makes me want to read more about Jon or Danny. The stories are slow moving with nothing of any significance to the rest of the realm except the dragons. It was a complete waste of time for me to read Jon's chapters, and to an extent Danny's chapters. I also see very little use for Bran's chapters so far, but I'm sure it will pick up with the overtaking of Winterfell. I have to disagree with the sentiment about Jon and Danny character being central to anything, as far as I've read and watched.

As someone who has read all the books all I can tell you is to hang in there. Things get better with Jon and Dany. The thing with ASoIaF is GRRM likes to describe mundane things at times; and he likes to really build up to the major events.

Well, if you read the various comments about future seasons, it appears likely that 1. ASOS will probably take 2 seasons to show, allowing much more time for the individual stories, and 2. AFFC and ADWD will probably be combined, so that we don't 'lose' whole groups of people for a season, which they would do if they showed those two books in sequence as written. For all we know, that rearrangement could result in the two books taking 3 seasons overall.

Which might just give GRRM time to finish TWOW ... :D

I think (and hope) that SOS is done over one series but 12-14 episodes, I think putting part 1 on its own then having to wait a whole year for part 2 would really lose the momentum of the show, especially after Blackwater

^ I'm glad your posting b/c I think people who have read the book dont really appreciate how much there hindsight influences there appreciation lack of appreciation for the show, and pay lipservice to people like you who don't know whats going to happen. Also as an aside if you haven't read the entire thing I would stay the hell out of threads like these. You will get spoiled.

I think (and hope) that SOS is done over one series but 12-14 episodes, I think putting part 1 on its own then having to wait a whole year for part 2 would really lose the momentum of the show, especially after Blackwater

I think HBO is staying with ten episodes per season, but again, there is likely to be some rearranging of ASOS chapters if it's done across two seasons. And if the series remains popular, there may also be some adjustments from AFFC too - D & D seem to be focusing on telling the overall story, so they don't want to lose flow or characters, and if they plan things correctly, there can be suitable series breaks. It doesn't worry me at all - I am just glad 'someone' is putting up the time and amazing resources to give us this series in the first place.

^ I'm glad your posting b/c I think people who have read the book dont really appreciate how much there hindsight influences there appreciation lack of appreciation for the show, and pay lipservice to people like you who don't know whats going to happen. Also as an aside if you haven't read the entire thing I would stay the hell out of threads like these. You will get spoiled.

lol thx

I am a fan of spoilers and if you can give me heads up on chapters I do not need to read, I'd appreaciate it, as in: If you are about to start to read the books, you may as well skip over Bran and Jon chapters.

I think HBO is staying with ten episodes per season, but again, there is likely to be some rearranging of ASOS chapters if it's done across two seasons. And if the series remains popular, there may also be some adjustments from AFFC too - D & D seem to be focusing on telling the overall story, so they don't want to lose flow or characters, and if they plan things correctly, there can be suitable series breaks. It doesn't worry me at all - I am just glad 'someone' is putting up the time and amazing resources to give us this series in the first place.

True enough, plenty of people moan about the series and not like how it sways away from the books, but we should be grateful for what we get.

I am still annoyed I think 10 episodes is too short, even if they made it a double premier and double finale to make it 12, in them 2 hours you could add a lot

I'd read all the chapters if I were you! You will miss important things and interesting details that become important later if you don't.

I am a fan of spoilers and if you can give me heads up on chapters I do not need to read, I'd appreaciate it, as in: If you are about to start to read the books, you may as well skip over Bran and Jon chapters.

This is not how books work. If you want to get a summary of the story of the books, go to wikipedia and you can read them all in about 5 minutes. If you want to read the books, read them. Skipping chapter is completely ridiculous.

lol thx

Don't read any Varys or Littlefinger chapters,and the Robb chapters tend to be a little tedious.

This is not how books work. If you want to get a summary of the story of the books, go to wikipedia and you can read them all in about 5 minutes. If you want to read the books, read them. Skipping chapter is completely ridiculous.

I completely agree. I really struggled through AFFC, thinking at the time that half of it was pointless but it it paid off towards the end of the book because a lot of the twists had been set up or hinted at in the more mundane chapters. I've come to realise that GRRM doesn't do pointless chapters. Even if some things seem boring at the time you'll find them more rewarding once you re-read them, knowing how particular plots play out later on.

booooooooooooooooooo

The book lends itself to disregarding chapters that are boring. It's wonderfully lifelike. I blame HBO to giving life to Jon's chapters rather than some other storylines which would've been more entertaining than listening to Sam and exploring the land of always winter.

Archived