15 replies to this topic

#1 rebel

rebel

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

I've been quietly reading the discussion about this episode, but I haven't seen anybody mentioning anything about the title of the episode being "The Old Gods and the New". I thought there was going to be some explanation on religions around Westeros for non-book readers, but instead there wasn't much going on in this matter - or have I missed something? What was the reason for choosing this episode title anyways?

Thanks for any imput you guys might have.

#2 Eddard Sand

Eddard Sand

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't seem to have any connection to the episode.

#3 House Balstroko

House Balstroko

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Maybe its some kind of metaphor to describe Theon's situation, Follow the path of the Ironborn (Drowned God) or go back to the old ways(The Starks, the old gods). Not sure if it makes much sense.

#4 Fakko

Fakko

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

In Catelyn's pledge to Brienne doesn't she swear by "the old gods and the new"?

#5 House Balstroko

House Balstroko

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

In Catelyn's pledge to Brienne doesn't she swear by "the old gods and the new"?

Yeah, but that was in the previous episode.

#6 Terminated

Terminated

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

IMHO: someone made a mistake and switched Ep5 and Ep6 names. 99% of the audience won't care much so they didn't try to fix it /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

#7 Hear Us Roar

Hear Us Roar

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

Yeah it had nothing to do with the ep.

#8 Peasant Rebel Leader

Peasant Rebel Leader

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

Episode titles seem just there for easy distinction between the episode. The rule seems to be to just take a quote from somewhere in the books, it really doesn't have to be related to the story in the episode at all. See for example also last seasons "Lord Snow" episode with barely anything happening at the Wall or the Nightlands this season with the only reference to those lands being in Dothraki...

It's a shame I think and actually the thing that's bothering me the most with the tv series. They also waste good titles like "The North Remembers" or "Valar Morghulis" (probably...)

But they sound cool and get some quotes from the book out, so it's really not a big deal...

#9 boojam

boojam

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

Episode titles seem just there for easy distinction between the episode. The rule seems to be to just take a quote from somewhere in the books, it really doesn't have to be related to the story in the episode at all. See for example also last seasons "Lord Snow" episode with barely anything happening at the Wall or the Nightlands this season with the only reference to those lands being in Dothraki...

It's a shame I think and actually the thing that's bothering me the most with the tv series. They also waste good titles like "The North Remembers" or "Valar Morghulis" (probably...)

But they sound cool and get some quotes from the book out, so it's really not a big deal...

So far it's been from a snippet of dialog within the episode , this season, I can't remember when , may have been, it's said this episode. Else-wise it's kind of out of the blue.

Frankly, my personal opinion, does not seem to me they have put much thought into some of the episode titles this season, E6 being one of the weakest.
It's a nit tho.

#10 Fakko

Fakko

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, but that was in the previous episode.

Ah, ok. I recently watched episodes 5 & 6 again, back to back. I melded them together in my walnut sized brain it seems.

#11 Arkash

Arkash

Time Lord beyond the Sunset Sea

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

It was the worth episode title of the whole serie, so far...

#12 House Balstroko

House Balstroko

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

IMHO: someone made a mistake and switched Ep5 and Ep6 names. 99% of the audience won't care much so they didn't try to fix it /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Ghost of Harrenhal could fit this episode, and I agree with this title working much better with the previous one.

#13 Sword of the Morning Wood

Sword of the Morning Wood

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

It was the worth episode title of the whole serie, so far...

Who do you think you are; Vargo Hoat?

#14 The Monkey

The Monkey

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

The scene with Brienne pledging her sword to Catelyn was maybe intended to be in this episode; thus the title. They might have rearranged the scenes and simply didn't bother to change episode names.

#15 turdle

turdle

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Maybe its some kind of metaphor to describe Theon's situation, Follow the path of the Ironborn (Drowned God) or go back to the old ways(The Starks, the old gods). Not sure if it makes much sense.

i think something along these lines might be correct. i take it as a metaphor for theon taking over winterfell, theon the new god, starks the old.

#16 pntrlqst

pntrlqst

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Actually, I think that since this was the episode that took portions of the story in a wildly divergent direction (Dany, Jon), the Old Gods represent GRRM and the New represent D&D. It's the producers way of saying, "Hey, guys, wanted to let you all know this show isn't George's alone... it's ours, too. The Old Gods AND the New."

Edited by pntrlqst, 09 December 2012 - 10:14 PM.