Moments of Foreshadowing

Patchface12

Mormont's crow crying "King" in Jon's presence.

To be fair, this only becomes a bit of foreshadowing if Jon takes up that mantle. Although, I suppose a good argument can be made that Jon has been legal king of Westeros (from the perspective of the Targaryens) ever since Aegon VI died.

When Tyrion plays against Aegon, however, Tyrion's dragon traps Aegon's king while Aegon's own dragon is too far away to save him.

I've come to interpret Aegon's dragon in this instance as being representative of Varys.

I think Bloodraven calling Jon king means that he intends for Jon to be a king. Jon isn't a king while in the NW. When BR first says it Jon thinks that the crow intends for Jeor Mormont to have a crown but the crow kept looking at him.

Anyways this was foreshadowing in ACoK:

"If I had wings...I'd just fly away, fly up past the moon and the shining stars, and see all the things in Old Nan's stories, dragons and seamonsters and the Titan of Braavos, and maybe I wouldn't ever fly back unless I wanted to."

Arya saw the Titan of Braavos in AFFC but she still has yet to encounter dragons and sea monsters (kraken/Greyjoy?).

I don't know if this is foreshadowing per se, but I thought it was interesting to re-read the conversation at Winterfell between Ser Rodrik and Maester Luwin after Ramsay Snow forced Lady Hornwood to marry her. Maester Luwin says that "Vows made at sword point are not valid," which will become a central issue between Catelyn and Jaime and then Jaime and Cercei soon enough.

When Ned is trying to teach Bran a lesson for klimbing all the time he sends him to spend the night in godswood

"The next morning Bran was nowhere to be seen.They finaly found him fast asleep in the upper branches of the tallest sentinel in the grove"

Bran just might become tree after all.

Victaryon refusing the alliance with Asha, claiming that he has his two hands and does not need a third, and then he actually loses his hand to sepsis (I don't think that Moqorro's magic really saved the hand, it seems rather fire-zombified or something)

Here's a nice one I picked up on my re-read, Tyrion and Tywin discuss Oberyn's demand for justice for Elia and her children:

Tyrion: “Oberyn knows that Gregor was the one who . . .”

Tywin: “He knows nothing. He has heard tales. Stable gossip and kitchen calumnies. He has no crumb of proof. Ser Gregor is certainly not about to confess to him.

Later:

“Elia of Dorne,” they all heard Ser Gregor say, when they were close enough to kiss. His deep voice boomed within the helm. “I killed her screaming whelp.” He thrust his free hand into Oberyn’s unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. “ Then I raped her.” Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman’s mouth, making splinters of his teeth. “Then I smashed her fucking head in. Like this.”

Here's my all time favourite from A Game Of Thrones:

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth of gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared at his hard ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some hero would throw him down and cut off his head.

From A Dance with Dragons:

Emmett kicked his legs out from under him [Janos Slynt]. Dolorous Edd planted a foot on his back to keep him on his knees as Emmett shoved the block beneath his head. "This will go easier if you stay still," Jon Snow promised him. "Move to avoid the cut, and you will still die, but your dying will be uglier. Stretch out your neck, my lord."

We get multiple instances of potential foreshadowing in the game of cyvasse. Dany and Aegon seem likely to clash, and militarily, we have Dany associated with dragons and Aegon associated with elephants.

In AFFC, Myrcella plays against Trystane Martell:

When Tyrion plays against Aegon, however, Tyrion's dragon traps Aegon's king while Aegon's own dragon is too far away to save him.

And when Tyrion plays against Brown Ben Plumm,

In one game the dragon defeats the elephants, in another game one side's dragon wins because the other side's dragon is too far away, and in another game, the elephants (and heavy horse) kill the dragon. I wonder if these games foreshadow the outcomes of future conflicts between Dany and Aegon (or even Dany and Volantis---a city associated, in part, with elephants).

The cyvasse stuff struck me as possible foreshadowing when I read it, especially with the dragons and elephants. I hope you have that bit of analysis bookmarked so we can check back and see how it played out. Interesting that we have three matches, and three dragons — one game where the dragon wins, another game where one dragon is used against a side that also has a dragon, and one where the dragon loses. Question is, are three different dragons involved, or is there overlap? Like, does Drogon defeat the elephants in round one only to go down in round three? Or does Drogon defeat the elephants in round one, Rhaegal is used successfully because of Viserion's absence in round two, and Viserion dies in round three? Rhetorical, obviously, but it's worth thinking about.

It reminds me of the tourney in The Hedge Knight, how the opponents mirrored ones in the present day.

It will be interesting to see if the foreshadowing refers to actual dragons and elephants, or are these references to sigils? Is "Aegon" the one whose dragon is far away because he is a Blackfyre, thus with a farther removed claim to the iron throne? Is Volantis, and specifically the merchant class, going to become more involved? Surely they'll be against Dany, since she has disrupted the slave trade. The old widow asks that Dany come soon, that the slaves of Volantis are ready. Does heavy horse refer to the Dothraki? So many things to watch for. Fun!

When Ned is trying to teach Bran a lesson for klimbing all the time he sends him to spend the night in godswood

"The next morning Bran was nowhere to be seen.They finaly found him fast asleep in the upper branches of the tallest sentinel in the grove"

Bran just might become tree after all.

And Ned says to him that Bran is not his son but a squirrel - the comparison giants use for the children of forest :)

There's a cute little one I noticed in Tyrion and Sansa's otherwise hellishly depressing wedding. Tommen dances with her and says "I want to be married too," said the plump little princeling, who was all of nine. "I'm taller than my uncle!"

I'm currently on my first re-read, about 300 pages into A Game of Thrones, and the amount of foreshadowing is tremendous, makes the books even better!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as someone has mentioned no doubt countless times in the Robert Strong thread in Bran's crow dream he sees a headless giant knight.

I'm also re-reading GoT and like the poster said above, there are so many in the first 300 pages alone. The Theon/Hodor one is superb.

The Cyvasse foreshadowing is hard to interpret though.

Lannister (Mrycella) vs Martell (Trystane) = Lannister wins (Dragon eats Elephants)

Lannister (Tyrion) vs Targ? Blackfyre? (Aegon) = Lannister wins (King trapped, dragon too far away)

Lannister (Tyrion) vs Targ? Sellsword? Lannister Vassal (Brown Ben Plumm) = Lannister wins (fortress in ruins, dead dragon, elephants in front, heavy horse behind)

That just seems wrong...

The dragons could be literal dragons (dragon horn comes into play and the dragons fight on opposite sides) or Dany, Aegon or Dany/Aegon as figurative dragons.

Tyrion sent Aegon away from Dany and the "too far away dragon" game is Tyrion vs Aegon. So possibly Aegon (the King) will be trapped and Dany will be too far away to save him. Dany needs Aegon but he's too far away?

Elephants could mean Volantis or could refer the the elephants the GC brought.

Heavy Horse could be Dothraki. The only other specific mention of heavy horse I can recall is Manderly mentioning he has the most heavy horse in the North.

"Fortress in ruins" could be any castle, Kings Landing, the Wall falling...

Love the idea, just have no idea how to make sense of it before it unfolds.

Yea, I was more thinking the dragons weren't literal. Instead, the three dragons could be Dany, Aegon and Jon (R+L), and point to conflict between them moving forward. Obviously guessing how that would happen would require a lot of speculation, but I don't think it's unbelievable to assume they will come to blows in some way.

Archived