[TWOW Spoiler] Night's King - A Turn From Fire to Ice: The Story of Stannis Baratheon

Babeldygob

It was Melisandre that killed Renly. Stannis didn't know that she killed him till after the deed was done and even if he did know what was happening at the time, Stannis was perfectly in his right given the fact that Renly was a traitor with absolutely no claim to the throne.

Don't try it man. He hates on Stannis on every thread.

Long unlive King Stannis, second of his name that shall be spoken, King of Winter, Lord of the Wights, Commander of The Others, Protector of the Cold, Father of Shadows, Consort to Queen of Icefire, Breaker of Flames, and Destructor of The Realm.

• 4 weeks later...

Upon a reread of A Clash of Kings, I saw a very interesting quote by Maester Cressen when he advocated an alliance with Robb Stark after Stannis declined to even approach Renly:

Others might serve your needs as well. Eddard Stark’s son has been proclaimed King in the North, with all the power of Winterfell and Riverrun behind him.”

At first glance nothing seems amiss, but three books later, the various events that have taken place, along with Old Nan's tale of the Night King, seem to make this little bit quite the foreshadowing. I think that upon his arrival at the heart tree to behead Theon, Stannis will be contacted by Bran, who will somehow convert him to the Night King 2.0. It is my belief that Bloodraven, and by extension, Bran, are working with/for the Others, and that is how the Northern storyline will have a swift and decisive turn. Suddenly Bolton will become the protagonist, the Wildlings marching for Winterfell will have an unlikely encounter with an enemy they thought remaind behind the Wall, and Bran/Bloodraven will influence the flow of events in a much more dramatic fashion. Now, whether the Others are evil per se, whether their connection with the Starks (pact and all) makes the Starks evil, or whether their undead army will actually be the driving force behind a Stark restoration (Kings of Winter and all that), we have yet to see. At any rate, the Freys will have a rather unpleasant encounter, and will likely turn into wights sooner rather than later. What is more, the seemingly magical storm (probably courtesy of Bloodraven/Bran) that is currently making life unpleasant for Stannis, will have a much different effect on a Night King, won't it? All in all, after paying a visit to that heart tree, Stannis will probably have a certain change of heart.

That is a typical prod of GRRM, as he chortles to himself while writing.

I do not agree about the Bloodraven and Bran connection to the Others, but I do see Stannis becoming the Night King. I don't think that Bran or Bloodraven can communicate with Stannis, though Theon seems capable of hearing his name.

Bloodraven is the narrative realization of the Fool on the Hill: "Day after day, alone on a hill, the man with a foolish grin is keeping perfectly still... But the fool on the hill sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head see the world spinning round. Well on the way, head in a cloud, the man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud. But nobody ever hears him or the sound he appears to make."

• 2 months later...

Wouldn't be suprised if the show "Night's King" wasn't the same as the book old Night's King and was rather the show just thinking it was a cool name.

Slightly off topic but if the Others really have to take Craster's sons to the Lands of Always Winter to turn them. How the hell do the babies survive the journey? Its got to be 1000 plus miles.

Slightly off topic but if the Others really have to take Craster's sons to the Lands of Always Winter to turn them. How the hell do the babies survive the journey? Its got to be 1000 plus miles.

Because cold preserves.

Wouldn't be suprised if the show "Night's King" wasn't the same as the book old Night's King and was rather the show just thinking it was a cool name.

i think it's funny that a crazy-looking zombie riding on a dead horse delivers the baby to a fortress of solitude where a Nazgul is waiting to take the baby and change the color of its eyes, and the first question that comes to mind is "how did the baby survive?"

Ice Preserves.

Walker Winter Ranger, lowered its metabolic rate, thats why it wasn't crying.

1st of the Book spoilers, more will come.

We will be lucky if we get book 6 before the show spoils pretty much everything.

Archived