Boarders Writing a Novel, Draft 7

Myrddin

-tickles thread-

I've been told to come here if I want to talk about my novel, which is an historical fantasy.

Just had a go on the generator, and the results were just as confusing for my novel. Liked how it picked up Anne Rice and William Shakespeare though!

First agent rejection (after query letter and synopsis, I got asked for first 5000 words). Reply was "thanks for the opportunity to consider your project. It looks interesting and shows some possibilities but we don't think it's publishable at this point." Back to the grindstone it is then...

My like should be interpreted as encouragement and not liking your rejection, just to be clear. :)

Progress has stalled on my work. Got derailed with a busy week last week and haven't been able to start back up. Not helping that I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with this section. Now starting to worry that the whole project isn't cohesive enough or paced very well...but I suppose I better finish it first!

First agent rejection (after query letter and synopsis, I got asked for first 5000 words). Reply was "thanks for the opportunity to consider your project. It looks interesting and shows some possibilities but we don't think it's publishable at this point." Back to the grindstone it is then...

That sounds really promising. I would be happy to look at those 5k for you if you wish.

Sorry to hear it, but it's good you're not letting it throw you off course. When my agent dumped me, I was about 40% angry and about 60% relieved (having an agent was work) but I kept with the project. It's all you can do, really.

I've not done anything to my nanowrimo since the end of November, still 30k words into it. Most of this month's 'work' has been spent trying to finish the chapter plan, and chapter 26 is proving problematic. The story is a contemporary detective/supernatural. The 1st draft so far is pretty rough, especially for the first few chapters, but some of the character interactions and dialogue is (imho) encouraging.

Odd request: What is a word to describe the crackling sound of someone sooking the dregs of a drink through a straw?

Pity about the rejection, but still pretty encouraging that they showed interest to send in 5000 words.

Been attempting to write this for a long time now, making very slow progress. Finished chapter 7 tonight, just shy of 30k words, but reading through the whole thing again, I'm never sure if I like it or not. Everything just feels off on a reread, and I can never place why. I'm trying to ignore it, and just finish the damn thing before I decide I hate it all, but it's a pain in the ass :P The fact any of you managed to finish an entire draft is impressive to me, let alone forward one to an agency.

Definitely just finish it before you decide one way or another. Swaying from liking to hating your own writing is pretty normal.

I didn't finish my first draft of my latest by end December, but I'm about to finish the third to last chapter - will finish it unless New Year prep gets in the way. Let's ignore the missing chunk a couple of chapters back, shall we? I don't like it when my characters deliberately hurt each other emotionally (physically, bring it on), and one of my key characters has to betray the rest and it's all complicated. :(

It says you can't receive any more messages (I tried twice, with the same result).

Can you speak to the mods about it?

I have just spent two and a half hours editing the first three chapters of my novel, using advice I've received from beta readers recently. It is a tough slog.

My advice for those of you who are struggling to finish the first draft is to just keep on writing and writing, even if it doesn't read right. I usually write in the months of August and September then spend the rest of the year seeking Beta readers and editing through it. Many things get completely rewritten, chunks are taken out, new bits put in. But nothing comes of nothing. You need that first draft, no matter how flakey it is, to make a better second draft.

Definitely just finish it before you decide one way or another. Swaying from liking to hating your own writing is pretty normal.

Absolutely.

Sometimes my swings are a few hours, but sometimes a few months. We writers are a needy lot.

After writing 30k in November, December proved a bust for my nano project. I'm still struggling to plot out the last half-dozen or so chapters. I can;t decide how the protagonists link the main antagonist to the crime. I'll hopefully get that done tonight, if it's a quiet nightshift at work.

I start a 2 week holiday at 0715 tomorrow morning and the plan is to hammer the shit out of the novel, *hopefully* finishing it. If time permits I'll try and get some work done on the 2nd draft of my other novel. Tinderbox (a cofffee shop) will be trying to charge me rent by the end of it.

Well into my second-to-last chapter (when you discount the missing one), which contains The Final Battle. It has turned into a rerun of The Book's Opening Battle, with random plot points feeding back into each other. I think I like it so far.

Ran across this amusing 'which famous author do you resemble' analyzer:

http://iwl.me/

My first five chapters have given me H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Dan Brown, George Orwell, and H.P. Lovecraft.

This is both baffling and awesome. I've taken snippets from a couple of chapters of something I'm working on and I've gotten several Lovecrafts, Arthur C Clarke, H.G. Wells and also, quite embarrassingly, several Dan Browns.

I've got no idea how this does its analysis, but it seems bonkers! And strangely addictive.

Archived