[Book Spoilers] where is the chain?

turdle

Maybe Tyrion will make it in one episode? Winning the Blackwater battle only with the wildfire would be lame.

especially since it's tyrions main contribution. not having the chain would reduce his role in the battle to little more than a dwarf who got his nose cut off. also, i bet they don't cut off his nose. hopefully at least a significant scar though.

well since it seems they scratched the three whores reigning fire, maybe the battle will change completely to fit the budgit.

We haven't seen anything spectacular yet. No battles in Season 1, No battles so far in season 2. It's time to drop the buckooo bucks on the blackwater the greatest battle scene in the the series.

Have they hoarded the majority of the budget for the season for Episode 9?

I read somewhere about the budget for the show being about 6 million dollars per episode, but I was never positive if they could save this and splurge on one episode..or if this is consistent throughout the season.

Either way, I really hope we get the chain and the truly epic battle everyone is hoping for!

On the show so far we haven't had a clear measure for the passing of time or for distances travelled, so the forging of the chain could be done very quickly on the show but still be ready in time. The problem is that Tyrion mentioned Stannis' fleet passing Tarth on its way north. I don' t remember how long it would take them to reach King's Landing, but now that a timeframe is mentioned it has to be taken into account for the chain-forging. I don't know the first thing about making chains, so I cannot wager how long it would take to forge hundreds of links, to put it in place etc.

So maybe there isn't enough time for the whole chain being made. However, it would be possible that Tyrion by way of reading about tactics and the defenses of King's Landing learns of an old defense mechanism, a chain, which has been in disuse for ages and is rusty and everything. But it would not be necessary to forge the whole chain but repair an old one.

Tyrion's smart and has already discussed with Cersei the fact that Tywin was a good tactician. He also plans ahead, as we know. Sure, he'll put 2 and 2 together, linking Tywin-type tactics with his own brain. The chain will spring up - it only needs a reference to it that would take no more than a minute of air time, and the job's done. Kingslanding has many craftsmen to do the job. Just a bit of welding.....

Tyrion's smart and has already discussed with Cersei the fact that Tywin was a good tactician. He also plans ahead, as we know. Sure, he'll put 2 and 2 together, linking Tywin-type tactics with his own brain. The chain will spring up - it only needs a reference to it that would take no more than a minute of air time, and the job's done. Kingslanding has many craftsmen to do the job. Just a bit of welding.....

Agree. IF they decide to use the chain in the battle, its preparation can be covered off very quickly in Ep 8 Tyrion walking the city checking on the wildfyre pots, checking that the chain has been finished and installed, and that the operators know their instructions in the battle plan.

i suspect they will get rid of the chain, not show any of the battle, show Cersei and Co in the castle, perhaps show Joffrey on teh battlements, show tyrion taking troops out the gate. I doubt we will see any significant battle. I highly doubt they will show Tyrion with his nose cut off. Too much make up to be worn going forward.

I this episode Tyrion said Stannis' fleet would be at KL in 5 days or so... I don't think that would be enough time to forge such a huge chain, but it would be a pity if they didn't include it, it's basically the main reason they won that battle! Or maybe they're just going to make wildfire even wilder than in the books, burning down the fleet in like 10 seconds, but that would suck.

If they go in this direction, I'll have a massive reality problem with that. There is magic in this world, but creating a chain that would stretch across the bay and hold back the ships is not something that gets thrown together in 3 days. They can easily rectify the whole thing if they make just a few simple comments - people complaining about blacksmiths having not been available for what they want, Tyrion making a comment about he is taking care of some things beyond what the king is doing. If they try to pull off that chain in three days though, complete BS.

I hoping we see the chain, but with only 4 or 5 days until Stannis arrives, there isn't enough time to start. We might see the battle looking like the fleet is going to take KL and then, suddenly, the chain comes up and saves the day. We can get Tyrion explaining the chain after the fact.

I very much doubt they will include the chain. Because if they do, they will have to visualise ships being caught by the chain and burn etc. This seems a big ask considering the budget issues.

They will just focus on the wildfire. I predict a couple of birds eye CGI views of everything being ablaze to create a sense of scale.

Actual battle scenes will be kept to a minimum as well. And I think this will be a good thing, as it will be limited to a few actors with a couple of extras (and most likely no horses) to carry out the scene. This will look extremely lame and cheap. They simply dont have the cash to create epic battle scenes such as in Return of the King etc. So it's better to just suggest the scale and focus on what happens behind the scenes.

Remember GRRM wrote the episode "Blackwater" he will be sure to include what he finds is crucial to the plot of his novels. If he doesn't think the chain is a big deal and can be replaced with some other device to prove that Tyrion saved the day he will do so.

The show makes plenty of changes but this is one episode that we know GRRM has control of. He has written for TV before, this is his series I am sure that he will make it work.

I read somewhere that HBO gave the series 15m more than they got last season specifically for this battle. I think that if they were going to include the chain we would have seen Tyrion setting it up by now, which only disappoints me as a reader of the series not as a fan of the show. The battle is going to be EPIC either way.

I doubt we will see much battle, though I would be pleasantly surprised.

HBO has not shown any significant battle that I recall and that has not been detrimental to the series.

While definitely cool, the important elements, the destruction of Stannis, the return of Tywin and Renly (sic), Tyrions winning strategy and valor can be addressed through dialogue and short long range CGI shots. The critical scenes will be cersei in her solar with the girls, Joffrey acting like Joffrey on the wall and being pulled out causing panic, the interaction between Bronn and Tyrion, perhaps some setting shots of Davos on a ship, scenes like that get the important stuff without getting into expensive shots.

I predict Tyrion will NOT lose his nose and a shame that will be.

Archived