Favorite Online Bookstore?

WrathOfTinyKittens

Just thought I'd see what everyone's preference was and whether I'm missing out on a great site.

For myself, I prefer Barnes and Noble online. I use a Nook, so obviously there's Nookbooks, and I'm a rewards member, so I get free shipping on all orders. I've found that B&N and Amazon usually have the same prices, so unless I'm buying a special edition that B&N doesn't have, I shop there. Plus I'm not a fan of Amazon in general.

The exception to this is when books come out in Canada or the UK before they come out in the US. For example, right now I'm about to preorder Red Country, but it comes out like 2 months earlier in the UK, so I won't be buying via B&N. I usually order from Book Depository in this case, since they have free international shipping.

Thoughts?

I don't like Amazon, so most of my book orders are through B&N. Unless I'm ordering from England, in which case it's Book Depository. But mostly I don't like to order online; I'd much rather go to a real bookstore, and only order online when I have no other choice.

Amazon.com is the best one overall that I use. A feature on Barnes & Noble that I like is that they show professional reviews for each book, so Publisher's Weekly or Kirkus Revies. Amazon does little of that, and that is a weakness.

In terms of lay-out, listmania recommendations etc Amazon is the best.

I do all of my book ordering through Amazon, including my e-books. It's just easier to do it, since I have a Prime account and spend a fair amount of time on the Amazon website anyways (I own a bunch of Amazon Instant Video content that I stream).

The last time I ordered something from a different online bookstore was for White Luck Warrior, which I ordered from Barnes & Nobles. That was because I had a gift card, and there was no e-book version of it anyways.

I go where the best prices are.

I have a Nook, too, so when I buy e-books, I will often find myself using B&N because it is easier to just download and go, however:

1) If I have a good coupon and a book that doesn't fall victim to agency model pricing, I will use Kobo. Can usually find a 40% coupon to use... finding a book to use it on is more time consuming.

2) If it is a smaller publisher, say Night Shade Books or Small Beer Press, you can often find better prices outside of major sites. All of NSB's e-books are DRM free and can be had for $6 at Baen's store. There are a number of smaller publishers selling through Weightless Books.

3) I make sure to check both B&N and Amazon because the difference in pricing may be to the tune of several dollars on some titles.

It has been a while since I bought a regular book online because there are few new books that I want a physical copy of (especially if the e-book is cheaper) and I have a Half Price Books close by for everything else. Back when I was buying more books than I had space, I made use of The Book Depository, which often had better prices than Amazon in addition to free shipping. I haven't bought anything from them in some months though and the prices, the last I looked, don't seem as good as they were before Amazon bought them out. I have never bought anything from B&N and don't bother browsing there because the pricing isn't great. I've no problem using Amazon and go with them over TBD if I want something in a hurry (the free shipping from TBD is often very slow). I also buy from Book Closeouts when they have deals on shipping or run their half-price sales. The selection isn't great and you won't find much in the way of newer titles, but you can get some pretty good shit cheap.

Amazon. It's got Author pages, reasonable recommendations, helpful "new release", "best seller", and so on lists in any genre you want, good searches for whatever you're looking for, great accessibility to independent used booksellers, connection to Audible, "people who bought this also bought this" lists, all sorts of helpful stuff.

My only annoyance is that it won't let you belong to the "Kindle Prime" program unless you actually own a Kindle. I buy a lot of Kindle formatted books, but I read em on my Mac. That irks me, although I understand that the whole point of Prime is to sell more Kindles!

Wait wait, you can find a 40% off coupon to use on ebooks? Ebooks that work on your Nook?

Do tell.

B&N won't let you use coupons on any e-books because of the Agency Model Pricing scheme, which sucks major ass. I don't think Amazon even bothers with coupons of any sort. That's where Kobo comes in. If not for the coupons they regularly offer (I just got a 35% off coupon for filling out their survey), the site wouldn't be worth the bother of going to unless you actually owned one of their e-readers. The coupons only work on books that aren't included under the Agency Model, but it isn't hard to find something interesting from that small pool. You can find several coupon codes on retailmenot and most of them work despite being long expired. And yes, the books are in epub format so they work on the Nook.

I am always looking at books in the public domain, fun to catch up on classics.

I like the format of http://manybooks.net/ they often show a original cover and some comments or content. You can download books in many formats. Of course there is http://www.gutenberg.org/ but I find it easier to browse on manybooks.

http://librivox.org/ is great to find audio books in the public domain.

• 8 months later...

Archived