The Dragon Has Three heads.....(ADWD spoiler)

• 2 months later...

"The dragon has three heads" was only interpreted by Dany as meaning her dragons need 2 more riders, right?

The dragon has three heads could mean: The "Dragon" (ptwp, aa or whatever) has three heads (is a blackfyre).

The Targaryen dragon (meaning the family's sigil) is just as three-headed as the Blackfyre dragon. Only the colors are inverted. As to the meaning of the dragon having three heads, well, theories abound...

Maester Aemon was convinced the prophecy meant there would be three riders, three people, three heads of the dragon (male and female interchangeable). I like the idea (mentioned elsewhere in the forum) of a reverse gender Aegon the conqueror situation. Dany as Aegon with two males at her side... GRRM has hinted in a interview that dragon riders/heads of the dragon don't necessarily have to be Targaryen. Aemon on the other hand seems to think Stannis doesnt' have enough Targ blood to qualify.

All that's actually said is that the dragon must have three heads. The three dragon riders is just a reader interpretation, as is the assumption that waking dragons/giants is literal rather a than metaphorical idiom for the awakening of "powers".

Both Rhaegar and Aemon seem to believe that the three heads are three persons and that one of them would be the Prince(ss) that was promised. Obviously they can be dead wrong (and have both made mistakes about this before) and they are not independent sources (they have drafted their ideas off each other and likely interpret the same source material), but it's a bit harsh to say that "3 heads = 3 people" is just a reader interpretation.

For the record, what Maester Aemon says is:

It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. [...] The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one

[.......]

The dragon must have three heads but I am too old and frail to be one of them. I should be with her, showing her the way, but my body has betrayed me.

What Rhaegar says is:

"What better name for a king? [...] He is the prince that was promised and his is the Song of Ice and Fire. [...] There must be one more. The dragon has three heads."

Both Rhaegar and Aemon seem to believe that the three heads are three persons and that one of them would be the Prince(ss) that was promised. Obviously they can be dead wrong (and have both made mistakes about this before) and they are not independent sources (they have drafted their ideas off each other and likely interpret the same source material), but it's a bit harsh to say that "3 heads = 3 people" is just a reader interpretation.

Ah, no, you're misunderstanding me. I've no problem with "three heads" being three different people. What I said was that they're not necessarily three dragon riders

Ah, no, you're misunderstanding me. I've no problem with "three heads" being three different people. What I said was that they're not necessarily three dragon riders

Ah, I see, sorry for the confusion. And yes, while I personally think "3 heads = 3 riders" is a plausible guess, I agree that there's no real evidence for that and it could well turn out differently (in particular dragons could be temporarily ridden by people like Vicky or BB Plum before the dragon's head are even revealed).

• 1 year later...

The dragonrides have to be of the blood of the Dragon, aka Targaryen Blood, even if they don't have the name of the House. In the book Dangerous Women we learn about the Dragonseeds and their part to that book. Only the Dragon Blood can ride a dragon.

Possible candidates:

• Daenerys of House Targaryen as Aegon I Targaryen reborn on Drogon as Balerion come again. :thumbsup:
  • Jon, if R+L=J is true.
  • (F) Aegon, if he is also of the Blood and not a Blackfyre Pretender or some child of Valyrian ancestry.
  • Tyrion cannot be a Targaryen, because he has no characteristics of the House. (Blond hair of House Lannister. The Targaryens had Black or White-Blond)
  • Darkstar??
  • Aurane Waters of House Valerion (Valyrian Ancestry// they intermarried with House Targaryen and they can ride Dragons)
  • Some member of House Celtigar (in my opinion : not possible)

• 3 weeks later...

The dragonrides have to be of the blood of the Dragon, aka Targaryen Blood, even if they don't have the name of the House. In the book Dangerous Women we learn about the Dragonseeds and their part to that book. Only the Dragon Blood can ride a dragon.

In the end, the brown dragon was brought to heel by the cunning and persistence of a “small brown girl” of six-and-ten, named Netty, who delivered him a freshly slaughtered sheep every morning, until Sheepstealer learned to accept and expect her. She was black-haired, brown-eyed, brown-skinned, skinny, foul-mouthed, filthy, and fearless … and the first and last rider of the dragon Sheepstealer.

Strictly speaking we only know, that the Targaryens believe, that Targaryen blood is necessary. They call upon the Dragonseeds, and lots of people turn up, some of whom have no Targaryen blood at all. We also know Targaryens have a high opinion of themselves (TPATQ, couple of paragraphs earlier discussion right of first night) and from the various failed attempts to hatch dragons we know that the Targaryen knowledge of dragons had major gaps.

Is there a SSM stating a dragon rider has to have Targaryen blood?

Archived