Names: My newspaper column -- last three links restored

Ormond

Thank you for the columns Ormond. I didn't realize that Seamus was James. Being that I'm the mother of a James you would have "thunk" I knew! Also, is it me or is Charlotte a very "Southern" name? I wonder how we got the word charlatan from Charlat? Just musings. :)

I love the name Charlotte...so, so, pretty.

And Baitac, I think of it as Southern as well...probably because of "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte"...one of my fave Bette Davis movies.

I would agree that Charlotte has a "Southern" stereotype for many older Americans, perhaps because of that film.

However, that's probably not going to last. The SSA site gives the top names by state (of course counting each separate spelling as a separate name, which actually makes Charlotte seem even more popular than it really is.)

Anyway, in 2014 the five states that had Charlotte among their top five names were Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Utah. So it's hardly a "Southern" name where babies are concerned. :)

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/state/top5_2014.html

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the link to last Tuesday's column:

http://www.omaha.com/living/cleveland-evans-with-noble-and-royal-roots-adelaide-is-seeing/article_d660a80a-35ed-5cbe-ab37-58f31cc9b547.html

To LWR: I have no idea if those names will climb. There was a discussion recently on the babynames.com bulletin board of names that posters "liked the look of but disliked the sound of" and Cecily was one of the names that many posters agreed fit that category. Beatrice may rise whenever Princess Beatrice of the UK gets engaged and so has a flurry of international publicity.

Here's the link to last Tuesday's column:

http://www.omaha.com/living/cleveland-evans-with-noble-and-royal-roots-adelaide-is-seeing/article_d660a80a-35ed-5cbe-ab37-58f31cc9b547.html

To LWR: I have no idea if those names will climb. There was a discussion recently on the babynames.com bulletin board of names that posters "liked the look of but disliked the sound of" and Cecily was one of the names that many posters agreed fit that category. Beatrice may rise whenever Princess Beatrice of the UK gets engaged and so has a flurry of international publicity.

I thought Cecily is popular in England, is that right?

• 2 weeks later...

i've a name history question:

I've been doing the ancestry thing and both families go back to colonial New England. Since I did the DNA thing recently, I've been going back and adding the siblings of my ancestors as well and I have been coming across all the typical colonial New England names, until yesterday. I came across "Freelove" George (born 1735). I was quite disbelieving really, until I saw the marriage records. It sounds so much like a 1960's hippy name, not a Temperance or Prudence type New England name. In fact, it sounds quite the opposite of what I think as naming conventions of the time.

Do we (I, really) just have a skewed view of colonial New England? or did things change with the 18th century? Just seems to me there is nothing Puritanical about Freelove (it almost makes me think she was the child of an affair, but she is one of the youngest of the George children and carries the same patrimony as the rest of her siblings) It is just a weird thing and I was curious about it.

eta: trying to look up some info myself, but so far not having great success:

This one mentions it, but is rather vague (but does have what I was getting at with the Virtue names):

Names as a Virtue

Some of the most fascinating names come from early New England where parents sometimes named their children after virtues they hoped they would possess: Patience, Charity, Prudence, Thankful. Some names appear quite strange to modern ears. In view of 20th century meanings, "Freelove" does not seem to be an appropriate name for a daughter!

Might be answering my own question here, but I found this on a forum, just a person stating their opinion though:

My favorite is Freelove which I assume meant the Freelove of God in colonial New England rather than the meaning that came into use in the 1960's

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/genealogy/2307585-your-ancestors-most-common-given-names-4.html#ixzz3fnhlZUvA

Archived