Books like A Song of Ice and Fire

A Ghost in Winterfell

I heard of this series written back in the mid part of last century called Lord of the Rings by some professor. It's old but quite a few people have heard of it and they even turned it into a movie a few years back. There are a ton of hero types with lots of skill and ablity but amazingly most of the heroic stuff is accomplished by tiny human like farmers who's primary ability seems to be smoking and eating.

:)

My next series will be some Stephen King Dark Tower series? Can't remember the actual name but I heard good things so I was planning to do more research.

These books sort of remind me of the Deryni (Dernyi?) books back in the day. I was a kid when I read them, so I don't know if I'd still like them as much now, but it has that mixture of fantasy and medieval history and a darker, more realistic tone, that I find likable about this series. Also lots of tragic fates for beloved characters if you go for that (I hate/love it at the same time). I think they were made up of a whole crapload of trilogies and one or two stand-alones and I don't know if she ever finished the whole thing.

I have really tried a bunch of times to get into the Gunslinger/Dark Tower series, and it just doesn't do it for me. Also, and I understand this might piss a lot of people off, but I thought that the LOTR was boring. Growing up (and now still) I was always a sci-fi guy. Dune is my favorite book all time, and Star Wars is my favorite thing in life. I liked swords and sorcery, but preferred books about alien races who have empires that span galaxies. Then, a couple of years ago, I heard that HBO was developing a new series called Game of Thrones, based on a series of books. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who loves fantasy, and he told me to read these books. Wow. I'm just about to wrap up ADWD for the second time. The only book I had to wait for was ADWD, and by then I only had to wait around a year or so. All I can say is bless your hearts those of you who have been waiting YEARS for these books.

First Law as others have said. The Conan stories by Robert E. Howard are also quite excellent. The copyright for them has also expired in Australia so if you go on the Australian version of Project Gutenberg, you can read all of them there for free (All of Robert E. Howard's work is amazing actually, but the Conan ones stand out the most in my opinion.) This GRRM quote of Conan sums up my opinions most excellently:

"...If you don't know Conan, you don't know fantasy."

--GEORGE R.R. MARTIN

Harry Potter.

The problem is that if you're used to Martin's work it's difficult to read something as...childish (and I simply mean it has less complexity, I don't mean it in a bad way) as Harry Potter. It's definitely not in the same style as Martin's work, it's really black and white and childish, but if you want something wonderful and innocent it's nice. It is difficult to go back to stories like that imo.

The Gentleman Bastards is pretty good, it's also fantasy with little magic, most of the world is built kinda like Martin's with hints of magic in it's bones and wonders but very little recently, with a curveball every now and again. It has some magnificent characters and it's pacing is great. It's basically about a group of conmen called the Gentleman Bastards that go around tricking the nobles of a Venice-like city into giving them their wealth and how they get in over their heads. It's surprisingly dark at points too.

The second is less in the style of ASOIAF but still fantasy. The Painted Man, a book about a world where demons rise every night and only specially drawn wards can stop them. It has some issues, but never have I dreaded night so much as when I read this book.

The Black company is also dated but good in it's way.

If you like dark Fantsy then The Witcher (of A. Sapkowski) saga is nice. Very good sense of dark humor, dark middle-age world, a lot of slaughters and battles, some dragons and monsters - and much more sorcery then in SoIaF. Scenario is not as good as GRRM, but I really enjoyed reading it.

Bofore reading 5-book saga, better idea is reading 2 books with short Wither stories - because they take place before saga.

I didn't intend to say don't read the first book, you only should not be frustraded by the first book

I've read The Witcher books that have been translated into English (The Last Wish, Blood of the Elves) and they are truly fantastic.

I definitely recommend them to anyone, although you may find the wait for the other books to get translated hard. It's hard enough when the books aren't written, but when they're out there in a different language it's difficult to avoid the temptation to spoil yourself.

Archived