[Book Spoilers]Ros/Alayaya

To be honest, your point is tied to quite a specific context. And a pretty specific hierarchy too, when we are talking about about a show where there we see kids thrown out of windows, burnt children cadavers, babies gutted, people killed, women and young girls beaten and casually threatened with rape (including with a sadistic vibe at a meta level in the scene with Joffrey, the whores and that stupid sceptre), and so on. I see where you are coming from but I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone to react the same as you at the idea and think that it would be unacceptable to show a black woman being beaten and that it would be OK, or much less unacceptable, to show a white (or Asian, or whatever) woman being beaten, and even more so on an international board, even though it does makes sense in a a certain context that is not necessarily shared by everybody.

Also: they don't show Cercei having Ros beaten (thank God), so why assume that if they had kept Alayaya they would have shown that scene, anyway?

Edit : spelling

Why would Ros bother playing along when she presumably doesn't know of any hidden whore, when last time she did something for Tyrion she had to torture a coworker, and when now she is the one being tortured?

Yep. Unless of course Varys is playing both sides of this and convinced her to go along with it - which would just be patently ridiculous. There were plenty of opportunities throughout to make a stronger connection to Ros for Tyrion, this was just a little weak. Also the "love" Tyrion has for Shae seemed to come out of left field a little bit.

so why is it surprising she jumps to the wrong conclusion when they find a Lannister chain on Ros (thanks to Varys, I'm guessing)?

Who's to say it wasn't Baelish? He's clearly expressed that he considers her a liability asset. Bringing her to Cersei's attention means he doesn't have to do the dirty work and maintains faith on both sides of Lannister squabbles.

I can't figure out why they changed the personality of Shae as well as her age. She's supposed to be a sweet-talking, pretty, opportunistic girl who satisfies Tyrion's needs and who he convinces himself he loves based largely on her devotion to him, which is totally bought. She doesn't love him, she's not particularly worldly-wise (as TV-Shae is) or someone who would befriend Sansa. It is an essential part of Tyrion's complex character that he is so drawn to Shae, and that he falls in love with her (or the illusion that she projects, since I doubt that Tyrion has ever known the real Shae); because their 'love' is connected to the love that Tyrion had for Tysha, that was so tragically and abruptly perverted and destroyed

I've heard some people say that they find it unrealistic and "out of character" that Tyrion would fall for an airhead like Shae, so that TV Shae actually makes more sense. I actually think that is 100% wrong and you are correct. How many people act 100% different in their love lives than they do with everyone else??? I do, I know that's for sure. Tyrion had a tragic experience with Tysha and that's why he finds himself falling for these types of girls. It makes total sense and I hate that they have to turn every girl from the book into a worldly badass. I think book Shae was perfect.

cersei knows tyrion sent hores to joffrey she thinks that ros is tyrion's love it is logical she would make some basic inquiry into who ros is the hound, varys, LF, joffrey all know who ros is, the whore that tyrion sent to joffrey again it boggles the mind that cersei would think that this is the whore tyrion loves

I want to take you with me on my next hike through the woods. You'll make darn sure all the nits are picked off me.

Only a short remark: The Ros actress is very good and has a lot of potential that yet has to be shown, she should be challenged even more. i like her and she is beautiful on top. This. Stop picking on Ros.

It makes total sense and I hate that they have to turn every girl from the book into a worldly badass. I think book Shae was perfect.

THIS! It is such a huge pet peeve for me. This is not a series about the year 2012. It's about a faux-medieval world, with a mostly rigid class hierarchy and gender roles. I hate the changes they've made to the characterization of Margaery/Talisa if she's Jeyne/ and Shae. It's so frustrating. We already have Cercei/Dany to some extent/Arya/Brienne to be somewhat tougher or more obviously combative female characters.

I'm not white, and it's not guilt.

I'm white and its not guilt. Its the fact that this is a White dominated show (other than Xaro really, which was white in the books as I recall!), so having one other black character get beaten down by a bunch of white guys, is just stupid.

Who's to say it wasn't Baelish? He's clearly expressed that he considers her a liability asset. Bringing her to Cersei's attention means he doesn't have to do the dirty work and maintains faith on both sides of Lannister squabbles.

I was assuming LF was too busy teleporting around Westeros to be Cersei's source.

I've heard some people say that they find it unrealistic and "out of character" that Tyrion would fall for an airhead like Shae, so that TV Shae actually makes more sense.

Yeah, those people totally misread Tyrion's character in the books. He wants a beautiful woman who won't challenge him in any way so he could keep gloating how much smarter he is and keep showing off his knowledge and intellect to her. Smart women make him uncomfortable.

Yeah, those people totally misread Tyrion's character in the books. He wants a beautiful woman who won't challenge him in any way so he could keep gloating how much smarter he is and keep showing off his knowledge and intellect to her. Smart women make him uncomfortable.

gee you think tyrion has a thing about power in interpersonal relationships?

Only a short remark: The Ros actress is very good and has a lot of potential that yet has to be shown, she should be challenged even more. i like her and she is beautiful on top. This. Stop picking on Ros.

Esme Bianco is a talented actress, I don't really see people picking on her.

Ros is for the most part an abomination through no fault of the actress.

That''s pretty much how I feel, and there are even some scenes Ros has been in that have been good, or at least acceptable. But there have been quite a few that have added minimally for the screen time used, or have been written in a clumsy way. Not the actress' fault, another actress wouldn't have made them any better.

Part of the problem is the way chapters have to be compressed for the show. Everyone knows the book has sex scenes, and a common defense of Ros's scenes are that there is sex in the books too. The problem is that the typical chapter of material is covered in less than 5 minutes of time. So when you have a 5 minute sex scene, that event is being given as much importance as an entire chapter of content. So just like they have to cut the battles and not show them, they have to be judicious in which sex scenes they actually show.

Some sex scenes certainly are important. In fact I would say Tyrion and Shae need another one soon to give us some reason why Tyrion puts up with her, much less lovers her. But others have been overly long or added minimally to the story for the amount of time they have been given, and unfortunately for Ms Bianco, Ros has been in most of them.

I'm white and its not guilt. Its the fact that this is a White dominated show (other than Xaro really, which was white in the books as I recall!), so having one other black character get beaten down by a bunch of white guys, is just stupid.

See, I don't understand this. I'm black and I find it more patronising than anything. It's basically a bunch of racial protectionists claiming that the audience, which has handled a string of child deaths at the end of three consecutive episodes, that has handled incest and murder and attempted rape will now somehow lose their minds over a perfectly valid scene. The unspoken implication here seems even worse, that the beating of one black girl by white characters is an especially terrible crime, one that the audience can't bear. Seriously what?

Alayaya's race shouldn't be a factor at all, her position in the plot is what counts.

I honestly don't get the argument here, it's completely eluding me.

Archived