[BOOK SPOILERS] Where are we in the book?

Just watched Se2:08/Prince of Winterfell. GoT is too addictive for me and I need to start reading - can someone tell me what chapter in Clash of Kings this episode takes off from? Or maybe what chapters I should be reading from in the book? Thanks much!

Please excuse this post if it's miscategorized/already answered - I'm a noob and have not been able to find an answer.

The show doesn't match up exactly by chapter or even by book . There were some parts from Storm of Swords portrayed in this episode as well. The show is telling the same general story as ASOIAF, but it is doing it in a different way.

Hi,

The series isn't following the book to the letter so it may be a bit confusing if you jump right to the chapters. Very roughly we are about 3/4 of the way through the book. There have been many small and some not so small deviations from the book, but I'm sure you'd assume that. Some of last nights scenes were based on these chapters:

Jon VII - 53

Tyrion XII 54

Catelyn VII - 55

Theon VII - 56

you'll be best off starting at the beginning of a clash of kings and moving forward. there are WAY TOO MANY differences between the books and the show at this point to try and make sense of the book based on what's going on during the TV show. the first season follows the first book much closer by comparison so, by and large, you would be fine skipping a game of thrones and jumping into a clash of kings. but i don't think there's anyway you could try and jump into the middle of a clash of kings and understand what's going on based off of the tv show.

Honestly, I'd finish the show over the next two weeks, then go back and read starting from Game of Thrones. There's few real deviations in book one, but as with all adaptations, the books have the ability to convey a richer experience, simply because there is more "time."

You wouldn't get lost to start with Clash, but you will miss things.

you'll be best off starting at the beginning of a clash of kings and moving forward. there are WAY TOO MANY differences between the books and the show at this point to try and make sense of the book based on what's going on during the TV show. the first season follows the first book much closer by comparison so, by and large, you would be fine skipping a game of thrones and jumping into a clash of kings. but i don't think there's anyway you could try and jump into the middle of a clash of kings and understand what's going on based off of the tv show.

I wouldn't reccomend skipping Game of Thrones either. There's still a lot of nuances that are missed and it's a thrilling read. You'd be mad to miss it.

I wouldn't reccomend skipping Game of Thrones either. There's still a lot of nuances that are missed and it's a thrilling read. You'd be mad to miss it.

i'm not recommending it, but if this person wants to see "what happens next," he would be able to understand whats going on if he began with acok.

I would recommend starting with book 1 as well. Definitely start book 2 at the start. The story lines in season 2 have been altered much more so in comparision to season 1, and several of the TV story lines have minimal connection to what happened in the book making jumping in mid book difficult.

Archived