46 replies to this topic

#1 Arkash

Arkash

Time Lord beyond the Sunset Sea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Okay, so a ship with a good captain leaves for Astapor "tommorow", I guess, then we will see Dany leave Qarth and probably see Barristan too in her last scene of the season, what do you think ?

That would mean she's rushing to the Hotu at the end of the episode !

#2 Pellaeon

Pellaeon

The winged lion

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

Maybe or they miss the ship, for the dramatic effect, "Dany won't leave without her children" or something like that

#3 SerMixalot

SerMixalot

Ironically Wearing Sweat Pants

• Members
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

Maybe or they miss the ship, for the dramatic effect, "Dany won't leave without her children" or something like that

I thought she wouldnt leave because of fire and blood. or did I miss something?

#4 Chelly

Chelly

Temptress, Cracker of Whips, and Slayer of Pants

• Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

Just going by the episode description, it seems the HoTU will happen in the final episode. I like the idea of Ser Barristan showing up in her final scene. It would be so much better than him just popping up next season.

#5 Arkash

Arkash

Time Lord beyond the Sunset Sea

• Members
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yeah, that is why I'm quite certain of too... she will leave Qarth on that ship at the end of the episode, so they dont have to rebuild the whole Qarth setup next season, and to end up this story arc, it is perfect to end it this way !

#6 Gogossos

Gogossos

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

But in order to work for tv, they'll have to essentially reveal Barristan to the tv audience: his scene from the throne room will have to be in the "previously" scenes, his disguise shouldn't be too good, etc. Then the non-book viewers can say, "Isnt that Barristan? ... with Dany!" That's the reaction they want as a cliffhanger.

#7 Lexicdark

Lexicdark

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

I do wonder how they are going to set the whole thing up. Before he saved her life, now she will be fleeing the city and he is just going to be there. I guess that is okay, but I liked how he showed his loyalty to her first.

#8 Patchface12

Patchface12

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Episode 10's synopsis said Dany was going to "a strange place." Much as I'd love to see the House of Undying, I don't think Dany's going there. Since we haven't heard of casting for anyone Dany sees in the visions or even the Undying, I'm starting to wonder what they'll do with it.

#9 CrypticWeirwood

CrypticWeirwood

The Wizard in the Tree

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Ser Jorah didn’t find one good ship; he found Groleo in command of three ships sent from Magister Illyrio and bearing Ser Barristan and Strong Belwas.

I suggest that the ship found is not one of those ships from Illyrio, and that Dany won’t meet up wtih Barristan and Belwas until later, perhaps at Astapor. She would now have no other reason to go to Astapor but for having no choice in it, whereas in the book she was testing things by redirecting their appointed course.

#10 Tourniquet

Tourniquet

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

No one will know who Barristan is when he shows up, he hasn't been seen since the middle of last season...I doubt non-readers will know who it is.

#11 Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

I suspect the audience will know that it's Barristan ahead of time. You can't really hide casting information and spoilers are easy to come by.

#12 CrypticWeirwood

CrypticWeirwood

The Wizard in the Tree

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

No one will know who Barristan is when he shows up, he hasn't been seen since the middle of last season...I doubt non-readers will know who it is.

Not seen since the middle of last season? When do you think he was expelled from the Kingsuard?

#13 Mista C

Mista C

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

I thought that it was in the last episode.

#14 Rickon is FIERCE

Rickon is FIERCE

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

I suggest that the ship found is not one of those ships from Illyrio, and that Dany won’t meet up wtih Barristan and Belwas until later.

I rather think so, too. Can't see them launching onto the Selmy stuff now with all the rest that needs to fit into these last two episodes. And the more distance they can place between his last appearance and his reappearance the better, as I think many will recognize him, even with the disguise, unless he's one amazingly versatile actor.

#15 WardenOfTheSouth

WardenOfTheSouth

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

As much as I want Barristan to come back this season, it just doesn't make sense. Why try to force him into this season (especially when they're trying to save $$) when they can just wait till next season and have him be a main character. I think it makes more sense that the HoTU will be Dany's last scene. the burning building behind her, would be the perfect mirror to how her story ended in season 1. Blood and ashes....

#16 CrypticWeirwood

CrypticWeirwood

The Wizard in the Tree

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I’m sure the actor is plenty good; no fears on that account. But it’s still up for grabs how and whether they’ll do the disguise thing.

All that’s certain is that Ser Barristan without a shred of doubt shall eventually reappear to become part of Dany’s Queensguard. They aren’t name-dropping him for nothing, you know. They want to make sure people remember him.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood, 22 May 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#17 CrypticWeirwood

CrypticWeirwood

The Wizard in the Tree

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

I thought that it was in the last episode.

Quite right, which is precisely why I couldn’t understand the “middle of the last season” bit.

#18 SerMixalot

SerMixalot

Ironically Wearing Sweat Pants

• Members
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

I swear i thought the next words out of Jorah were going to be

"Its called the Lollipop"

#19 victim

victim

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

A friend of mine, who is a non-book reader, knew who Barristan was from the Jaime/Alton scene. A lot of people will recognise him because he is older and quite distinguished. There's also the looming question of "I wonder what happened to that guy."

#20 Rickon is FIERCE

Rickon is FIERCE

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

I swear i thought the next words out of Jorah were going to be

"Its called the Lollipop"

I never get tired of reading your posts, mate. Good God. /cheers.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheers:' />

A friend of mine, who is a non-book reader, knew who Barristan was from the Jaime/Alton scene. A lot of people will recognise him because he is older and quite distinguished. There's also the looming question of "I wonder what happened to that guy."

Correct.