[Book spoilers] Cheers without Jeers, Tears, or Fears

[, “I write this letter in the blood of ironmen,” the last, “I send you each a piece of prince. Linger in my lands, and share his fate.” Asha had believed her little brother dead. Better dead than this.

Though I've already read it multiple times, it still gives me chills. I think that if the show succeeds in giving the viewers the same emotions readers got at reading Theon's arc, it'll be very very good.

Though I've already read it multiple times, it still gives me chills. I think that if the show succeeds in giving the viewers the same emotions readers got at reading Theon's arc, it'll be very very good.

Every time I see Theon on the show, all I can think about is the speculation on here about his poor missing "member," after Ramsay's torture. I wonder if Alfie Allen knows?

thank you for this thread. With all the others, I was started to think you, me, and Sir Hippie were some of the only ones that actually like the show.

Anyway a lot of great things going on that have already been pointed out, Stannis pretty much first among them. I thought he was great ever since he made the page remove "beloved" from the letter in ep 2 or which ever it was. But the fact that he is the one man in Westeros who is pretty much running a meritocracy is bad ass. While i know he's going to lose at Blackwater, I want to see him win so bad. But he still needs to learn his "save the realm to win the throne, not win the throne to save the realm" lesson from Davos. All I can think of now when I see Stephan Dillane is how incredible it will be to see him at the wall staring into those fires.

I'm also loving Liam Cunningham as Davos. I couldn't really get a handle on Davos at first when I read the books. When we first met Davos in the show, I didn't know if i liked him or not. Then I realized I was having the exact same reaction to show Davos that I had to book Davos. That man plays honesty so well.

Can't take credit for this, a friend pointed it out to me today, but Yara's speech to Theon was such a huge nod/foreshadowing to the books. In the show, she tells him that "you looked up... and smiled at me." My friend pointed out that in Dance, when Theon finally meets up with Asha, he is down on his knees. She doesn't recognize him until he looks up, smiles, and says "hello sister."

As far as Ghost goes, I think that they if they had Jon warging too (in the books I'm pretty sure he was dream wargin by now), Bran wouldn't seem as special to the viewer. I think they are setting Jon up for major growth with the wildlings in season 3. It will be they who recognize Jon for what he is and maybe even help him facilitate the ability. The fact that these people he's been trained to hate will (i think) teach him so much about himself will be ironic and poetic to watch.

Also really liked Lord of Bones. Was very curious how they were going to pull it off without look as ridiculous as I pictured him in the books, but they did. Also Pyat Pree, felt the same way in the books, but love him on the show. He makes my skin crawl.

Can't take credit for this, a friend pointed it out to me today, but Yara's speech to Theon was such a huge nod/foreshadowing to the books. In the show, she tells him that "you looked up... and smiled at me." My friend pointed out that in Dance, when Theon finally meets up with Asha, he is down on his knees. She doesn't recognize him until he looks up, smiles, and says "hello sister."

Now that is a find. Bloody brilliant work. Major props to the writers if this was, indeed what they had in mind when the scene was written.

Also really liked Lord of Bones. Was very curious how they were going to pull it off without look as ridiculous as I pictured him in the books, but they did. Also Pyat Pree, felt the same way in the books, but love him on the show. He makes my skin crawl.

Eh, I thought Bones was supposed to be pretty lean and wiry...found him much scarier in the books. But you are bang on with Pree. Not at all how I pictured him but on the show he actually produces something more than annoyance in me...skin crawling indeed...

I just want to thank you for this thread. It's getting to the point where I'm wondering who's watching this show since all I ever do is see people complain about things. Are some of the changes a bit head-scratching? Yes. But you're complaining about an unfinished product. We have no idea where the journey may lead us. We all know what happens in the books. I think it's great that we're getting to the same place on the show but just taking a slightly altered route.

I just want to thank you for this thread. It's getting to the point where I'm wondering who's watching this show since all I ever do is see people complain about things. Are some of the changes a bit head-scratching? Yes. But you're complaining about an unfinished product. We have no idea where the journey may lead us. We all know what happens in the books. I think it's great that we're getting to the same place on the show but just taking a slightly altered route.

I think you've got it spot on there :)

Yeah, and is entertaining to not know everything and enjoy the detour

As others have mentioned the descent of Theon, I am also wondering how far HBO will go with that...or if they will eliminate it. It was difficult to read about. I don't think it can be portrayed in mass market video, even HBO.

As others have mentioned the descent of Theon, I am also wondering how far HBO will go with that...or if they will eliminate it. It was difficult to read about. I don't think it can be portrayed in mass market video, even HBO.

They MUST!. Whats Alfie Allen going to do anyway... Theons story is one of my favourites and HBO can pull it off.

I thought this was one of the best episodes of season two thus far. I really liked Jamie and Brienne's interactions and I thought the last scene with Luwin finding Bran and Rickon in the crypts was really well done, after Luwin's gut wrenching cry when he saw what he thought was the boys bodies last episode, I was so pleased that he found them alive.

Loved it when Asha was talking to Luwin and he said that they shouldn't tell Bran that it was the farmer's boys as he would blame himself, the camera pans over to Bran who is wide awake.

I sure hope there’s enough of those snippets to go around.

Geez, how did I miss this thread? Probably because there's so much bitchin' going on I don't look at this section at all, lol!

Let me join the Cryptic Weirwood admiration society with everyone else. Well, I'm already a charter member.

Edit: damn quote marks

Geez, how did I miss this thread? Probably because there's so much bitchin' going on I don't look at this section at all, lol! Let me join the Cryptic Weirwood admiration society with everyone else. Well, I'm already a charter member.

Thank you kindly.

When you work in customer service and have to man the help-line, you can’t do that all the time, nor for long. If you do, it wears you down, because all you ever hear is people calling to complain complain complain. Pretty soon your own view of whatever world you’re help-desking starts to deteriorate as the rotten attitude starts to infect you, too.

People were using these forums for nothing else but to vent their spleens. They were saying really terrible things, stuff that if they read it would surely break the hearts of the people who are working their absolute hardest to make this happen. I know it’s silly, but I felt bad for them, vicariously.

It was just too much of a super downer to read all the other bitch-out threads. I don’t even go there anymore. I feel there’s a tremendously large lot to be happy about, and that this was getting drowned out by people going ballistic with their shitty attitudes. So I wanted a place for people to light a single candle instead of forever cursing the darkness. And a lot of single candles can add up to real light.

Thank you all for sharing your joy with each other, and so helping make the world a little brighter for your having been here.

Thank you kindly. When you work in customer service and have to man the help-line, you can’t do that all the time, nor for long. If you do, it wears you down, because all you ever hear is people calling to complain complain complain. Pretty soon your own view of whatever world you’re help-desking starts to deteriorate as the rotten attitude starts to infect you, too. People were using these forums for nothing else but to vent their spleens. They were saying really terrible things, stuff that if they read it would surely break the hearts of the people who are working their absolute hardest to make this happen. I know it’s silly, but I felt bad for them, vicariously. It was just too much of a super downer to read all the other bitch-out threads. I don’t even go there anymore. I feel there’s a tremendously large lot to be happy about, and that this was getting drowned out by people going ballistic with their shitty attitudes. So I wanted a place for people to light a single candle instead of forever cursing the darkness. And a lot of single candles can add up to real light. Thank you all for sharing your joy with each other, and so helping make the world a little brighter for your having been here.

Thank YOU! There is enough negativity in the world and every day life, and just so much joy for me in this series and these books. I too feel no need to go to the other threads. There's no point.

Here's to THIS THREAD, and one like it for every upcoming episode!

:cheers:

I wish a thread like this had existed for the previous episodes. I think from now on, along with the nitpicker thread for each episode, there should be a thread like this started. Doesn't have to be by the same person of course, but if we have the negative threads, then we need at least one thread for celebrating what we enjoyed in each show.

I wish we could just discuss the show for what it is, whether we like it or not, without resorting to complaining. There has to be ways to talk about the differences without sounding like an ungrateful pre-teen; I think we should all be happy that a wonderful series has been adapted in the first place.

There was so much I loved in this episode:

- Jaime and Brienne obviously was magnificent.

- Tyrion and Bronn arguing about gold-cloaks and pronunciation. Also, the dialogue about siege warfare and thieves was amazing.

- The return of Varys. I love him so much, even when he doesn't appear because still you know he's lurking somewhere.

- Ygritte's look at Jon after Qhorin pushed him down the hill. She looks at him as if to say "you'll be one of us" and gives a small smile, I felt so very sorry for her.

- Jaqen H'ghar's face... In particular after Arya named him, but just his face in general as well. Never thought Syrio could be topped.

- Edd's talk of the best and worst rangers dying and the middle ones surviving.

- Stannis talking about liking dogs and hating cats. I love Dillane as him.

- Every single mention of Ned, there were a lot in this episode.

- And Pod.

Small complaint, it's a simple on though. I enjoy Robb, I only wish he got an awesome monologue so we could get more inside his head instead of Talisa's. I care more about him than her.

Archived