Does Anyone else want a Robert's Rebellion Prequel?

Hoopdescoop

No, we've already been given quite a bit of info on what led to Robert's Rebellion and more than enough evidence of what Robert's character was like. He might have been a badass with a hammer, but he was an incompetent twit.

Like Athanasius Pernath says, learning more about the War of the Ninepenny Kings would be much more interesting. This seems to be where the lords all became friendly with one another and led to all of the alliances that helped Robert secure his throne.

I'm obviously more concerned with GRRM finishing ASOIAF first, but c'mon, after he's done can we PLEEEEASE have a prequel that covers all of Robert's Rebellion? Young Robert Baratheon seems like the baddest badass who ever lived.

Like others, I'd love more Dunk and Egg but a Robert's Rebellion prequel would definitely be cool. Hopefully we'll get enough reminiscing from the characters in the next two books to give us all the Rebellion back-story we need.

The #1 thing on my wish-list though, after GRRM finishing ASOIAF of course, would be a Tales from Old Nan book. :drool:

I want to see a prequel for no other reason than to see Robert Baratheon before he became king. Someone in the books said that Robert changed for the worse when he took the crown and his relationship with Cersei drove both of them over the edge. So many time I was reading passages in the first book and wondering "why the hell is this guy Ned's best friend?". In the show I feel they did a far better job of portraying how losing Lyanna just broke the man. I want to see the strong, charismatic, honorable leader that Ned and Barristan remember.

I want to see a prequel for no other reason than to see Robert Baratheon before he became king. Someone in the books said that Robert changed for the worse when he took the crown and his relationship with Cersei drove both of them over the edge. So many time I was reading passages in the first book and wondering "why the hell is this guy Ned's best friend?". In the show I feel they did a far better job of portraying how losing Lyanna just broke the man. I want to see the strong, charismatic, honorable leader that Ned and Barristan remember.

i don't think he was a great lad in the past. yeah, brave and strong and maybe funny, but Lyanna thought very poorly of him, and i tend to agree with her :)

i don't think he was a great lad in the past. yeah, brave and strong and maybe funny, but Lyanna thought very poorly of him, and i tend to agree with her :)

Lyanna thought poorly of him because she only knew him by reputation. There are many cases throughout history where people who seemed as if they would make terrible husbands turned out to be loving and true to their spouses. He wasnt smart but you have to be a pretty good person if Ned Stark is your best friend

i would love this, seeing Arthur Dayne, Rhaegar (pov?!), finding out what the KG though of Aerys, murder of Brandon and Rickon. Yes we already know a fair bit about the rebellion, but to see a novel based purely around it with new POV characters, and the return of Ned? would be so awesome

Lyanna thought poorly of him because she only knew him by reputation. There are many cases throughout history where people who seemed as if they would make terrible husbands turned out to be loving and true to their spouses. He wasnt smart but you have to be a pretty good person if Ned Stark is your best friend

What Lyanna knew of his reputation was pretty darn accurate. He was a slut, he was never faithful to his wife, he was a drunk.....He didn't just seem as if he would make a terrible husband. He was actually a terrible husband, he just used Lyanna as a convenient excuse for the way he is. If he'd married Lyanna, he probably would have had some other excuse. Maybe a dead mom excuse.

Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon were foster brothers. Ned thought of Robert as a brother, not as a best friend. He doesn't think that Robert is an all out awesome person. He thinks Robert is his brother and as his brother, he's willing to forgive or overlook the inadequacies of his character. That's what siblings do for each other.

I would prefer if Martin makes a book more about the North. The first long night, Brandon the Builder, Children of the Forest, the Night King... etc etc

I find the stories in the North more intriguing than anything about Targs. XD

Well, I'm kind of hoping that by the end of this series, we'll have all the details (including the hazy ones) from that time made clear to us. So I think by the time we're done, there will practically be a narrative spread throughout all these novels that covers the rebellion. So in that sense it seems kind of unnecessary.

mmm..no, actually i'm unable to agree on that. Lyanna's words in Eddard memory are typical "Author Words" when she speaks about Robert's attitude with women. Sorry, i admire romantic people as you (seriously, no mocking) but it's pretty obvious to me that Robert would have been unfaithful to Lyanna. yep i'm sure their relationship wouldn't be awful like the Robert-Cersei one, but all the same, he would have been a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible husband. Ned Stark was a really good man. Robert wasn't. Ned Stark lost his families to the mad king, but he would never have accepted, or proposed, the slaughtery of children :) [i'm not saying Robert was a monster. not at all. but he wasn't a very good man. and no, you don't need to be a saint to be loved. i love friends who're great people, and i love friends that are not great people. i try to help them, i fight with them when they do something i consider awful, but i cannot stop loving them. the same with Ned. he's very disappointed by Robert after Daenerys' murder edict. But he's very inclined to make peace with him, 'cause he loves him.

What Lyanna knew of his reputation was pretty darn accurate. He was a slut, he was never faithful to his wife, he was a drunk.....He didn't just seem as if he would make a terrible husband. He was actually a terrible husband, he just used Lyanna as a convenient excuse for the way he is. If he'd married Lyanna, he probably would have had some other excuse. Maybe a dead mom excuse.

Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon were foster brothers. Ned thought of Robert as a brother, not as a best friend. He doesn't think that Robert is an all out awesome person. He thinks Robert is his brother and as his brother, he's willing to forgive or overlook the inadequacies of his character. That's what siblings do for each other.

Being unfaithful to Cersei is not the same thing as being unfaithful to another woman. Being married to Cersei is not the same as being married to another woman. Plus multiple people say that the crown removed the best part of Robert.

Come on, he wasnt married, what was wrong with hooking up with a few woman thats not cheating. They should have known to use moon tea if she didnt want to have Mya. I am not saying he would be the best person in the world, but the best parts of him died once the rebellion was finished.

Ned said they were closer than brothers, he didnt love Robert more but because of Ned's icy persona Robert was probably the only person who could make Ned laugh.

Archived