Estimated time Winds of Winter releases.

Sarnius

2014. The success of the HBO show and the plotlines outlined in ADWD will help/demand that he get these things out relatively quickly.

The show has its own set of problems. For example, when is the adaptation of ADWD supposed to be released, around 2016? Will a nineteen-year-old Maisie Williams still play a little girl Arya?

Also the show might get cancelled along the way.

I truly hope the show does not affect GRRM's writing pace in any way. I'd rather have the show cancelled tomorrow and wait years for TWOW than have the books rushed because of a TV show.

It seems unlikely that the book will be released before the end of 2015 at the earliest. If GRRM were to prove me wrong, of course that would be absolutely fine :)

Note: That's 200 manuscript pages. If TWoW is about the same length as ADWD (GRRM has said that it may be in that ballpark), the final page count will be north of 1,500 manuscript pages. There's a quite a long way to go.

• 1 month later...

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves....

This.

And every time you ask that question, GRRM kills a Stark. So do not ask it. Rejoice in the books we have now. Or read anything else.

Tretsy, welcome to the forums. :cheers: Hope you post something deeper soon!

This is the one thing I dont like about the TV series, it might make GRRM rush some parts of the novels, making him make silly mistakes or just lower the quality of the overall books. I would like to see the series become more independent so that I can enjoy them separately.

That's a separate question. Say ASOS Part 1 (2013), ASOS Part 2 (2014), AFFC + ADWD + first part of TWOW (2015), then maybe TWOW Part 2 (2016) and TWOW Part 3 (2017). This assumes that they streamline AFFC and ADWD down to one season for TV, as I think they'll have to do, and that TWOW is as "action packed" as ASOS (which is what I expect). That means Books 6 and 7 both have to be out within the next five years to keep pace with the TV show.

Fall/Winter 2014 doesn't seem that unrealistic for TWOW. Wikipedia has the release dates of the first three books as August 1996, November 1998 (U.K.) and August 2000 (U.K.). If he could do ASOS in under two years about three and a half for TWOW is possible, though obviously his schedule must be very different now. That means ADOS would have to be done between Fall/Winter 2014 and Summer 2017. I don't know. Maybe this belongs in the TV section, but what do they do if the series is still on in the Summer of 2017 (if AFFC, ADWD and TWOW are three seasons combined) and the books haven't caught up? Skip production for a year? Vamp? Do a prequel season where Ros is the main character?

Maybe this belongs in the TV section, but what do they do if the series is still on in the Summer of 2017 (if AFFC, ADWD and TWOW are three seasons combined) and the books haven't caught up? Skip production for a year? Vamp? Do a prequel season where Ros is the main character?

I'd kill to see a Robert's Rebellion prequel.

Archived