What small thing really annoyed you?

I don't mean big scenes such as the red wedding but just little things that were irritating.

For instance I was really annoyed during the siege of Riverrun, when Ryman Frey turns up to stop Jaime having Edmure beheaded and we see that Ryman has given a camp follower Robb's crown.

Also I got really annoyed when the Freys lied to Wyman Manderly about the red wedding in front of Davos and seemed to convince him.

So what small moments really annoyed you guys?

it annoys me that we are to believe that they greyjoys have been condoning the iron way for years and nobody really tried to stop their raiding. As soon as gregor started killing people Tywin Lannister was called to court to answer for it, but we have no reason to think Balon was ever held responsible for the actions of his banner men

Not sure if it's small, but what really annoys me is that the Greyjoys are causing as much problems as they are. I mean, if any one of the other 6 kingdoms actually took them seriously there would be no more Ironborn, but since everyone else is fighting 'real' wars they actually believe they have a chance at doing anything while Asha, who is by far the smartest Ironborn believes Otherwise. I say this as a Greyjoy fan

One thing that always buggered me was that the Starks had no fleet since Brandon the Burner's time. They have two coasts with one one side the Ironborn who are always keen on plundering and raping yet there's no single warship, not even a small one like Jason Mallister have. I find it really hard to believe; it might be a necessary plot device for GRRM but it's quite non-understandable. I guess Flint's Finger and White Harbour served to naught until Robb Stark decided to rebuild a fleet.

One thing that always buggered me was that the Starks had no fleet since Brandon the Burner's time. They have two coasts with one one side the Ironborn who are always keen on plundering and raping yet there's no single warship, not even a small one like Jason Mallister have. I find it really hard to believe; it might be a necessary plot device for GRRM but it's quite non-understandable. I guess Flint's Finger and White Harbour served to naught until Robb Stark decided to rebuild a fleet.

melting down and reforging ice, i dont really consider it a 'small' thing, but that really got under my skin, just seemed so unfathomably disrespectful, although i guess Robb would have lost it at the wedding if he had gotten it back, but still...

I am not the Catelyn-hater that many reportedly are, but it did really tick me off that she fell for Littlefinger's pathetically transparent attempt to set up Tyrion for the attempted Bran assassination. I know all the rationalizations - he was her childhood friend, blah, blah, blah, but I still thought it was pretty dumb. I should blame GRRM, I suppose, because i think it is an example of sacrificing characterization for plot.

Cercei really ticked me off when she didn't encourage Tommen's enthusiasm about learning to joust. Come on, lady! She didn't even give him a kitten! Margaery had to do it.

Weren't the Lannisters supposed to send some men to the Wall to assassinate Jon Snow. That plot went nowhere and was never mentioned again.

They were probably the ones whispering in Bowen Marsh's ear and manipulating his sense of honor and duty to the Watch; playing Cassius to Bowen's Brutus if you will.

Jon also likely bought himself some time and forced the conspirators to come up with a Plan B when he executed Janos Slynt, the most likely "Opposition Leader" to put in charge after taking Jon out.

They were probably the ones whispering in Bowen Marsh's ear and manipulating his sense of honor and duty to the Watch; playing Cassius to Bowen's Brutus if you will.

Jon also likely bought himself some time and forced the conspirators to come up with a Plan B when he executed Janos Slynt, the most likely "Opposition Leader" to put in charge after taking Jon out.

Hardly - GRRM would give us more hints. I think that that plan didn't make to the Wall,since the problems ensues in Red Keep with Cersei's imprisonment.

Weren't the Lannisters supposed to send some men to the Wall to assassinate Jon Snow. That plot went nowhere and was never mentioned again.

Cersei was planning on sending Osney Kettleblack to the Wall to assassinate Jon after he was caught sleeping with Margaery. The High Septon put a stop to that particular plan. Is that the one you're thinking of?

Cersei + Taena annoyed me, as did Dany + Irri. I had a hard time believing in the characters' homosexual experimentations and just saw the scenes as masturbatory fantasies of GRRM.

I'd agree, except for Cersei's. I found it to be fairly grim scene, despite the sex, and actually pretty sad with the reflections on Cersei's self-image in Westerosi society.

The thing that annoyed me, and it's probably not that a small thing, was the one-dimensional portrayal of native Slaver's Bay characters. They seem to fulfill their necessary roles in the plot, and add very little else, whilst most Westerosi characters get at least a little bit of detail which fleshes out their motives and personality.

Cersei + Taena annoyed me, as did Dany + Irri. I had a hard time believing in the characters' homosexual experimentations and just saw the scenes as masturbatory fantasies of GRRM.

I didn't like Dany's, but I think Cersei's made more sense. It was a dominance thing, not an attraction.

Isn't that Cercei scene where she has the line, "It had only ever been good with Jaime." I thought that was really sad. Imagine if the only person you could be sexually satisfied by was your twin brother? That would screw anyone up. It also, despite her issues, makes you feel what a loss it is when he begins to distance himself from her after his return to King's Landing without his hand and post-meeting Brienne. I know she contributes, but I think some of that is in response to the change in him and his behavior, which puts her a little on the defensive.

Another small thing: Jon Darry & Gerald Hightower both dismissing any obligation on the part of the Kingsguard to even reflect on the Mad King's actions. I get that they "swore an oath" but once your King starts burning people alive and raping his wife, I would like to at least see some inner conflict, come on.

What happened to Ned's sword and Robb's body; the manner in which Catelyn was thrown into the river; the damage done to Winterfell. Small things in the grand scheme of things, indignities more than anything else, but each made my blood boil.

Archived